My rMBP sometimes insanely overheats when in sleep mode

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by HFoletto, Sep 4, 2015.

1. HFoletto macrumors member

Hello, how are you?

I have a late-2013 Retina Macbook Pro 15" with dGPU. I use it everyday at home, office and college, and when I'm switching places, I just close the lid and put the computer in my backpack.
    The notebook nearly never overheat when I'm using it, it usually feels cold to the touch, and also, in most cases when I get it out of my backpack, it is even cooler.
    However, about 4 times since I got my computer on january 2014, when I was going to get my macbook out of my backpack, it was really, really, really hot! I mean, so hot I hurt my fingers to get it out and place it in the desk.
    Every time this ocorred I waited until it cool down to use it, but I'm really worried that maybe the device will get damaged sometime.

Is there something I should do before closing the lid (besides closing the apps)?
    Is there some setting I can configure to avoid it?

Thank you so much.
    Best wishes.

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Shut it down with 'reopen windows when logging back in' disabled, rather than putting in sleep mode.

3. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

This just means you have left something running and it hasn't shut down on sleep, shut it down when carrying it around, with a 15 second boot time it's hardly a chore.

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

Something kept it awake (wireless mouse clicking randomly in your backpack?)

The computer has built-in mechanisms to prevent overheating, it will not damage itself, you don't need to worry about it. It'll completely shut down on its own if it ever reaches a dangerous temperature.

5. HFoletto thread starter macrumors member

Thank you both for the replies!
    That's what should be done, however that's sad because it's a notebook and one of the good sides about it is to just open and continuing from where I stopped.
    Thankfully to fast ssd the wait for boot isn't so annoying.

I always turn off my mouse when putting it in the backpack.
    I don't know what is keeping it awake, I wish there was a way to stop apps from running in the background when the lid is closed and no power adapter is connected.

I didn't know about that, thank you, now I feel much better :D

6. snaky69 macrumors 603

You should see what woke it up in the even log next time it happens. It should point you in the right direction.

7. HFoletto thread starter macrumors member

wow, that should be handy!
    This may be a stupid question, but where can I see this even log?
    Is it the System Log in the Console?

Thank you again!

8. snaky69 macrumors 603

Yes, I'm not on a Mac at the moment so I wasn't sure of the name and wasn't able to check.

9. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Bluetooth settings, advanced turn off wake up by bluetooth. The terminal command below will reveal what is waking up the Notebook;

cat /var/log/system.log | grep -i "wake reason"

Next time it happens run the command and post here, someone will like be able to advise. The hardware will completely shutdown if temperatures are extremely high, equally this is a rather a "failsafe" so it`s obviously better to get to the root of the problem and stop the overheats. Like as not it`s a runaway process driving up the temperature, stopping the Notebook from sleeping and running the CPU hard.

Q-6

10. Laserducky macrumors regular

Laserducky

I have a Bose bluetooth speaker and one day, I found my Macbook super hot, even though it was in sleep mode.

Apparently when I switched the Bose on to connect to my iMac, it awoke the Macbook as well ( the Bose can be paired with 2 devices simultaneously) and caused it to heat up (it was lying on the sofa). Switching off the bluetooth on my laptop while not using the Bose with it, fixed my problem.

Cheers !

11. Queen6, Sep 7, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2015

Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Can also go to Bluetooth advanced setting and turn off "Allow Bluetooth devices to wake this computer"
    Screen Shot 2015-09-07 at 21.25.19.png
    I don't get any over heating, however my B&O speaker does wake my MacBook, when connected to one of my rMBP`s, any interactions such a volume will wake the rMB, changing the advanced Bluetooth settings resolved the issue completely.

Q-6

12. Fishrrman macrumors G3

The new MacBooks boot up so quickly, that you might just as well shut it all the way down when you're not going to be using it for a while...

13. Laserducky macrumors regular

Laserducky

Great ! Thanks for the tip.

14. HFoletto thread starter macrumors member

Thank you, I wasn't aware of the Bluetooth setting, it should come in handy.
    Until now it hasn't ocurred again, however I tried the terminal command, and that's what it outputted: http://i.imgur.com/lCVrNFs.jpg
    Is there a list where I can read what wake reason means? Because I have no clue of what is RTC (Alarm) nor
    EC.ACDetach (Maintenance).
    Thank you so much again, both of your advices were really useful!

Hello!
    Thank you for the input, I turned off the wake by bluetooth setting, so it should not wake my macbook anymore.

15. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

As Apple don't openly publish the wake up codes, it`s not straightforward to point in a specific direction;

RTC (Alarm) is generally related to either predetermined wake/sleep or more likely the transitioning from one sleep state to another (system was probably on mains supply at the time). It can also be from a launchd setting, user applications, backups, and other scheduled events.

EC.ACDetach (Maintenance) is related to the mains power supply state changing

Apple`s sleep profiles are rather complex with two differing regimes dependent on if the system is on main supply, each with multiple levels of sleep/hibernation. On battery the function is obvious to conserve battery power. On mains mains supply less so, as the behaviour is a component of Apples portables complying to an EU directive for energy efficiency for compliance to apply for certification etc (I believe).

Screen Shot 2015-09-08 at 21.32.55.png

The way OS X handles all this can be tailored, equally Apple have obviously put a lot of thought to ensure the best performance across all usage scenarios. Any changes require knowledge of Terminal & the pmset command.

Q-6