My router hates iPods

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Phrasikleia, Nov 21, 2010.

1. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

My three-year-old Asus router (with updated firmware) will not play nicely with either of two new 4g iPods (both with latest iOS). These two iPods haven't had trouble on any other WiFi networks, so it's obviously something with this router. Also, my MacBook Pro and an HP laptop both connect to this router via WiFi flawlessly.

Getting connected to the network takes repeated attempts, and when an iPod does get connected, it usually won't get internet access beyond that. When it does get internet access, it lasts for maybe a minute and then the whole connection gets dropped. No connection to the router will survive an iPod being turned off; it always gets dropped and will not reconnect.

I've tried every kind of encryption as well as using no encryption at all. I've tried limiting the router to various standards (b, g, etc.), to a single channel, and to a single, static IP address for an iPod. Nothing helps. I've reset network settings on the iPods, rebooted them, renewed leases, had them forget the network, and entered and exited Airplane mode. All to no avail.

Before I dump money into a new router in a hail-Mary pass to get WiFi working, could someone tell me if perhaps there is something I haven't yet considered? Anything else I should try?

Lastly, if I do have to break down and buy a new router just to get iPod WiFi working, is there anything I should look for in a router that will ensure compatibility?

Thanks.

2. mac2x macrumors 65816

My 3rd gen iPod touch (latest software) stopped working correctly with DHCP on my Netgear router. It was the same as you, no go on my network but fine on others.

I gave it a static IP (make sure it's fairly high so it doesn't interfere with other devices on your network, e.g. use 192.168.0.15 or something). No problems since.

[edit], I see you tried that already. :(

3. Phrasikleia thread starter macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

Thanks for the reply, but as I said in my original post, I already tried using a static IP. I chose 192.168.0.103. Didn't help at all.

4. NathanA macrumors 6502a

By "latest iOS," do you actually mean 4.2.1GM/8C148, or do you mean latest publicly-available iOS for that device, 4.1/8B118? (Some iPT4s came with 4.1/8B117. Not sure what the difference is, but if you're still running 8B117, might be worth a shot going to 8B118.)

If you aren't running 4.2(.x) yet it would be mighty interesting to see if upgrading to it makes any difference whatsoever. If you're comfortable with the idea of installing it before it is publicly released, well, here's hoping it comes out this week...

-- Nathan

5. Phrasikleia thread starter macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

4.1 (8B117) here, and these iPods are not unlocked, so that's where they're going to stay until 4.2 comes out.

Interestingly, another experiment with the two laptops just produced problems with them too. Starting to think the router is failing.

6. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

three years is a good run for a router.

Perhaps doing a full hard reset.
    Remove any security and see if if the symptoms change. There amy be a conflict some were.

Any wired connections having issues?

7. NathanA macrumors 6502a

8B118 is an official Apple release. If you do a restore on iTunes, I'm sure that 8B118 is what iTunes will download from Apple.

Highly doubt there's a wireless fix in there, but...hey, you never know until you try.

-- Nathan

8. Phrasikleia thread starter macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

Just got back from the store with a new Linksys router, and voilà...no more iPod connection problems. The Asus one will be given a proper burial.

Thanks for the replies.

9. apaulct macrumors newbie

Before you bury you Asus router, you may want to see if there's a version of dd-wrt that runs on it. Most Asus models are supported. dd-wrt is open source router firmware, just google it. I had a USR router which gave me nothing but fits with the manufacturer supplied firmware. I installed dd-wrt a couple of years ago and voila, all my problems went away. It breathed new life into the old hardware.

10. Ace134blue macrumors 6502a

Ace134blue