My router hates my printer! IP Conflict?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by MrCheeto, Dec 17, 2009.

1. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Every time my printer connects to my router, no other device can connect to the router! It's an SMC provided by the cable company and it puts out B G or N but I have it set to G, which every device in my house uses.

The printer is an HP C039a and it does have an option for a static IP setting.

So does this sound like an IP conflict? What should I check or configure to find the problem?

2. Frosties macrumors 6502a

Frosties

Check that the printer is not using other protocol than the rest, if it does then the router changes from g to b for example. Check that the router is set to support the number of devices in the ip settings. Check that you use one system, dhcp or static ip. If everything fails connect printer with cable. I can not find any info regarding your printer (with supplied name HP C039a) through google so general info can only be given.

3. MrCheeto thread starter macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

FFS, ok well I took your advice and wired it to see if that made a difference...well take a good guess...

The IP of the router turns out .14 and my notebook is .12 so it's not a conflict. Once the SFPOS is plugged into the other SFPOS they decide to buddy up and bugger off every other device.

The router is still broadcasting the SSID and my Airport gives me a green light but won't load a damn thing!

Clearly it's not an issue with protocol or IP...what teh EFF! These cable companies get away with providing the worst service imaginable and why? Because we don't have a choice! I have ZERO alternatives if I want internet in this area! Is there any other definition of MONOPOLY?!

4. Rich1963 macrumors 6502

I had a problem with my imac connecting to a wireless HP7410 printer. It seemed like if you had more than 2 days of inactivity, when you would attempt to print something the mac was unable to connect to it. My setup is a qwest DSL router connected to a time capsule, with the mac wired to the time capsule. Originally the qwest wireless/wired router was outputting an 802.11G network, and my time capsule outputting an 802.11N network. I switched the time capsule to output a combined 802.11 g/n network, had the printer connect via the time capsule, and everything was fine. I also shut down the wireless aspect of the Qwest router. I suspect the qwest router was the problem, as my iphone would not stream using the 'iheartradio' app from the qwest router, but streams fine from the time capsule. Hope this helps.