My sad screen protector film story.

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by CJisohsocool, Aug 19, 2010.

1. CJisohsocool macrumors 6502

So I got my iPhone yesterday and I ordered a bunch of accessories for it like last week. I was trying to figure out what screen protector set I should get. I knew Power Supports were amazing but 20$ for 1 front and 1 back seemed way to expensive. So I went to mygearstore.com and saw that Scosche had a set of 2 fronts and 1 back for 10$ (and free shipping!) How awesome is that? Apparently not so awesome. I got them today and did the whole steam bathroom to put them on. Firstly, The front isn't cut properly. the width of it is too wide and it will always bubble on the sides no matter what. Secondly, The back's camera and flash cut out is way to small and interferes with the flash horribly.

So the lesson of this story is don't ever get cheap. If they're that cheap then its for a reason. Now I need to try to return these crap and get a refund.

2. iMaconApple macrumors 6502a

You get what you pay for...I had power support on my 3GS used the clear ones very nice fit I'm ordering one for my iP4 and by the other reviews on here I take there word for it..you want a nice quality screen protector you have to pay a price..

As for the steam bathroom thing..I also mist my bathroom to get rid of flying lints flying around works greet when you get OCD when you see a lint under your screen

3. Cynikal.Mindset macrumors 6502a

the screen protector that came with the switcheasy nude I bought is perfect...its clear, no bubbles or anything with the bumper on etc. also the 1.99 ones I would buy for my 3GS fit perfect too.

price isn't always the factor...some batches are just crap

4. CJisohsocool thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah... Luckily mygearstore.com has a 30 day refund, and they'll give you credit to another accessory and even better they just got Power Support films in.

5. adztaylor macrumors 68000

Buy cheap, buy twice.... What my mum used to say :D

6. Cynikal.Mindset macrumors 6502a

she's re-married isn't she mate?

7. SESpy macrumors regular

SESpy

I was going to buy zagg until I joined these forums where all the reviews said it sucks! one of the worst screen protectors ever! but with it's good marketing it can fool you! I think SGP and PhantomSkinz are the best!

8. forensick macrumors newbie

I got a xo skins screen protector on mine and it's held up well since. Before you buy anything online, always google for coupons.

9. CJisohsocool thread starter macrumors 6502

I bought triple x__x still all suck lol. The cuts are completely wrong.

10. iHeartapple2 macrumors 6502

iHeartapple2

Never heard of the steamed bathroom thing when applying screen protectors. What are the benefits?

11. robotphood macrumors 6502a

Prevents dust from sticking to the screen/protector.

12. CJisohsocool thread starter macrumors 6502

It gets rid of the tiny flying lints everywhere lol

Also I have a question lol. So I have one of the protectors on my phone right now but as I kept trying to realign it n such a tiny piece of hair and a few specks of lint got in it. Should I keep it on or Remove it and like keep my phone in a box until I get a new screen protector set?

13. whofeelsitknows macrumors newbie

Good question. You should probably just keep your phone in a box until the new protector arrives.

14. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

I got 3x front and back protectors from eBay for 2.00£ shipped and they fitted and installed
    Perfectly. You can find good screens for dirt cheap it's just hard to pin down a certain one from the thousands out there.

Sgp, powersupport and all the expensive ones are a rip off in my opinion because they must cost nothing more than 20p each to make, the mark up is huge.

There is only one downside to the cheaper ones, they have that oil affect that you can see if you hold it in a certain light but I can eal with that and pay much less than the other ones.

15. barachus macrumors regular

i have an sgp ultra crystal and yes it is very nice, but to be completely honest i dont really notice any difference from the ebay £2.50 pack of 2 it replaced

16. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

You probaly done a good job of th install which makes a big difference to the product.

It's just hard to find good ones because eBay sellers don't go into too much detail about the materials used in the screens!

17. CJisohsocool thread starter macrumors 6502

Link to the ebay ones you bought? Do they affect the flash?

18. Chetoc230 macrumors member

i dont think thats always the case. i bought a cheap one off ebay for 50 cents.. got 6 front protectors for 3 dollars and they all fit perfect.. already installed 4 of them on friends and families iphone 4's.

19. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

20. Kayzle macrumors member

what exactly is the benefit of puttin it on in a steamy bathroom?

21. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

The moisture catches dust so it doesn't get underneath the screen before you install.

22. CJisohsocool thread starter macrumors 6502

23. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

Sorry dude :eek:

24. CJisohsocool thread starter macrumors 6502

So I talked to Mygearstore and they said that they'll refund them all even the 1 pack that I used. All I gotta do is put everything back and into the little package and send it to them, Gave me a RMA number. Now I just need to find a new brand or w/e of screen protectors (front and back)

25. Brien macrumors 68020

Brien

I have the SGP ultra clear, and it feels like my phone is wearing nothing at all.