My Safari beta 4 won't update!?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by OwlsAndApples, May 19, 2009.

1. OwlsAndApples macrumors 6502a

OwlsAndApples

I'm running 10.4.11, and each time I run the software updater, go through all the stages...download, install, restart etc... I open the software updater again, and the update is there again waiting to be installed!
    This update is that recent Safari 4 one. I've repaired permissions and tried again, but had the same result. Any ideas for a perplexed mac user?

2. OwlsAndApples thread starter macrumors 6502a

OwlsAndApples

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Have you tried downloading directly from the Apple website?

4. OwlsAndApples thread starter macrumors 6502a

OwlsAndApples

Thanks alot! I'll give it a try...

actually you're wrong... If you read my post you'd have noticed i just want an update for the beta, not a beta-to-full version upgrade. And besides, betas can and do get updates.

-points in direction of this- "This update is recommended for all users of the Safari 4 Public Beta and includes the latest security updates."

5. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

Read what he's saying. He's updating from Safari 4.0 beta *to Safari 4.0 beta*. There is an updated beta*, not a final release. This was noted on the macrumors front page, and many other places.

*specifically, a security update for the beta

6. MacManiac76 macrumors 65816

MacManiac76

There was most definitely an update to Safari 4 Public Beta on the same day 10.5.7 came out. I think it was just security updates and it changed the build number of Sarari 4 Public Beta from 5528.16 to 5528.17.

Maybe do a little research next time before blurting out false assumptions. ;)

7. mailingtodave macrumors newbie

My Safari beta 4 won't update!?

The issue that when Beta 4 is already installed, Software Update tells you that there is an update. Using Software Updates makes it seem like Beta has been patched (downloads, installs, asks you to reboot...). However, running Software Update again will tell you that there is a update for Beta 4 (cycle repeats indefinitely).

Now, maybe downloading the update directly from the Apple site works around the problem, but are others besides myself and the original poster experiencing this same loop with Software Update?

8. MacManiac76 macrumors 65816

MacManiac76

When you go to Safari->About Safari, what does it say there in parentheses? does it show 5528.16? 5528.17? or something else? If it shows 5528.17 it definitely did the update and Sofware Update is just not updating the receipt properly. If it has updated Safari I would just set to ignore the update the next time it shows in the list and be done with it.

9. villageindian macrumors member

I am under the impression that the update to Safari 4 beta requires 10.5.7. Unless you upgrade to that, you can't install the update to Safari 4 beta. You are stuck with the original beta software.

10. MacManiac76 macrumors 65816

MacManiac76

Yes I believe you are correct. But I remember the Safari 4 Beta update not showing in Software Update until after 10.5.7 was installed. So if the Safari 4 update is showing in SU I'm assuming that 10.5.7 is installed already. As for on Tiger I'm not certain if there is an update prerequisite.

11. robert05au macrumors regular

robert05au

Safari 4 Beta did see an update for Tiger 10.4.11

Here is some info and download link which needs to have tiger selected to get the current beta release with the security update recently included

Info:
    * Any Mac running Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.7 or Mac OS X Tiger 10.4.11 and Security Update 2009-002
    * Mac with an Intel processor or a Power PC G5, G4, or G3 processor and built-in FireWire®
    * 256MB of RAM

Download:

Code:
    http://www.apple.com/safari/download/
    The above link is for safari 4 beta release only from what I can see.

:cool:

12. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

I'm seeing this on my 10.4.11 machine as well.

13. robert05au macrumors regular

robert05au

I am seeing this on 10.5.7 now as I just decided to update and try Safari 4 beta. It was showing up in software update after installing the first beta which I had previously downloaded.

The current update kept showing in software update even after installing it. I then downloaded it and manually installed it.

I also decided to run repair permissions and it found quite a few system/library things out of whack which when repaired has stopped it showing up for me now and I am running the latest beta version.

It may help to try the manual install and repair the permissions to check what difference it makes for you if you are seeing it constantly showing up in software update. You don't have anything apart from a little time to loose trying.

14. Chase R macrumors 65816

Chase R

15. OwlsAndApples thread starter macrumors 6502a

OwlsAndApples

Haha yeah... I just love how his comments are now stored in quotes despite his best attempts to cover them up. Wonderful.

Well, I downloaded it again from the Apple website, installed and all... Guess what, still wants an update in Software Update. So, i'm going to give up I guess until there's a new update, and see if that one will work. I was just concerned that I might be missing out on critical security updates.

Getting rid of a few of the beta's crashes would be nice too :D

Thanks everyone. :)

16. tintinaujapon macrumors newbie

I'm running 10.4.11 and my Safari 4 beta version refuses to update to the latest beta either. The version remains 4528.17 no matter how many times I download the update through SU.

I tried installing from the downloaded package and it stalls partway and simply says that the updated version cannot be installed.

17. poe diddley macrumors regular

same here

same exact problem here.
    osx version 10.4.11
    software update says there's a new update
    but after install, it still says there's an update.
    anyone found a fix?

18. Can macrumors member

If you like the top bar design you should really not update to the (final) Safari 4 release, its gone. Whats 'new' is the 'old' fat top bar design with a useless 'title bar' at the top, url and navigate bar at the middle, and tabs at the bottom. You also have a bookmark bar between the url and tabs bar if you use those.

A step backwards on innovative design from apple. Thats a .. first? :(

19. suMMx macrumors regular