My Sandy Bridge iMac is booting very slow.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by SKBeck, Jun 28, 2011.

1. SKBeck macrumors newbie

I have a Sandy Bridge 3.1 GHz i5 with 12GB. My boot times have gone from 30 seconds to 1 minute and 30 seconds in the last week.

I've tried the following:

- I originally thought it may have been an issue with 10.6.8 so I moved back to 10.6.7 via a Time Machine restore.

- resetting PRAM

- reinstalling Snow Leopard

- verifying permissions

- repairing permissions

- repairing disk

- removing startup and login items

- verifying startup disk

- SMC Reset

- booting in safe mode

- yelling at my girlfriend

Any ideas as to what could have caused this and how I can fix it?

2. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

3. SKBeck thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks anyway. There's actually a known issue with 10.6.8 that removes the startup disc preference so its one of the first things I looked at.

4. Bernard SG macrumors 65816

Bernard SG

As you have a TM Backup, my suggestion for a fix is a radical one: reformat your HD and install from Mac OS DVD, then update to 10.6.8 (download a combo update package rather than updating through Software Update) and finally restore your stuff with migration assistant.
    If that still doesn't fix it, it's possible that your HD has got issues. My Core 2 Duo 2 GHz iMac boots in 44 seconds on 10.6.8.

5. SKBeck thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the suggestion. I was able to isolate the problem to my external hdd that I use for backups.

With the external connected by usb I'm looking at 1 minute 30 second boot times. Without I'm looking at 30 second boot times.

I'm not sure what could have caused this but it's a recent development. I've used the same hdd with my last two macs and my current iMac for a month without any issues.

Any ideas on what I can do to continue use my backup hdd and maintain a respectable boot time?

6. Bernard SG macrumors 65816

Bernard SG

Try using a different USB port on your iMac, perhaps?

7. SKBeck thread starter macrumors newbie

Very strange. For some reason the act of disconnecting and then reconnecting the HDD usb did the trick. I have no idea why but after doing so my boot times went back to 30 seconds. Anyone have any clue why, just out of curiosity?

8. iMikeT macrumors 68020

My guess would be something in the firmware. Was the external drive always on or did you turn it off when not in use?

9. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Disconnect external drive when booting.*

10. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

I don't have an exact answer for you, but I've experienced odd things with externally connected devices. Usually the fix is to reconnect them. I also don't think it's a goid idea to have external drives on all the time.

11. Bernard SG macrumors 65816

Bernard SG