My Saturday Night MacBook...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by tsice19, Feb 27, 2008.

1. tsice19 macrumors 6502a

tsice19

So, on Saturday evening I purchased the base model of the MacBook and received a free printer in the deal. I saw the new models came out yesterday... And I'm wondering is it worth paying the restoking fee (I've already opened it) to exchange it for a new one? Will they give me credit so I can buy a refurb?

2. ShiggyMiyamoto macrumors 6502a

ShiggyMiyamoto

I agree 10 fold. I got my MacBook here (specs in sig) back in December, and I don't regret not waiting for this update. If I want a larger HDD or more RAM I'll just freakin' buy it and put it in myself. I don't need to pay ~$1500 or more to get that.

3. JSchwage macrumors 6502a

JSchwage

Plus, with the new MacBooks you don't get an Apple Remote. :(

4. ShiggyMiyamoto macrumors 6502a

ShiggyMiyamoto

Yeah I read about that... I wonder what the reason behind that is.

Speaking of the  remote, where the hell is mine? lol Hmm...

5. Melan macrumors regular

6. ShiggyMiyamoto macrumors 6502a

ShiggyMiyamoto

We've already concluded that it's not worth the hassle since he's opened the box, but I believe it's 10-20% or something of the price he paid. Not sure though.

7. OldSkoolNJ macrumors 6502

OldSkoolNJ

New prices for old speced models are out. Go get your price matched.

Kevin :apple:

8. boubacar macrumors newbie

there might not be a restock fee

some forum members posted that they contacted apple and was able to exchange for new models without restock fee for purchases made within a certain time period. they might neg your rebate or make you pay the difference tho if there is one.

9. lekun macrumors regular

Yeah, I think the discount you will get from Apple is better than whatever you would have to pay to get the newer model. If you call and get the right person, they can give you a pretty good deal (unless you didn't buy it from Apple).

If there was an LED screen and multitouch along with all the other updates, I would say think about it. But with the MacBook, RAM and HD upgrades are so easy and cheap that it makes sense to do it yourself. And so the only real difference is a slight bump in processor speed, which probably would give you negligible real world differences, IMHO.

10. ChristosK macrumors newbie

Same situation more or less...got my macbook last week (from Amazon though)...I don't know if there are any options to return it and get the new version but really is it worth the hassle?? I don't think the upgrade is that significant ...i't just i feel a bit "cheated" that I bought the older version just a few days before the new version is in store...so it's not about performance in the end i guess...just a bit sad I think...:(

11. closeupman macrumors member

closeupman

Hey TS,

someone else posted about exchanging a 7 day old macbook with the new one. Try online first, if they won't help try a local APPLE store if there is one nearby.

:D

12. ShiggyMiyamoto macrumors 6502a

ShiggyMiyamoto

To the OP: I honestly don't see why you're so concerned about getting a MacBook that just released when you have a perfectly good computer. There's no need to get something incrementally faster... I'm perfectly happy with my 2.2 GHz I got back on December 12th. I'm not at all regretting not waiting until this update.

13. PcBgone macrumors 6502

PcBgone

I bought my macbook on feb 11 from Amazon...I just read this thread and immediately went to amazon. I searched, and they do offer 30 days post purchase guarantee. I will be getting a 104.01 refund back since that is what it dropped down to!

Im so stoked about this new upgrade that I even got my macbook cheaper:) After all is done, I spent 920 bux on my baseline macbook!