Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BurtonCCC

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 2, 2005
Wheaton/Normal, IL
So my girlfriend and I got webcams so we can see each other and talk to each other "face to face" while we're at separate schools. Instant messaging has always kind of sucked at my school. AIM takes multiple times to log in, Yahoo randomly loses connection, except I can receive what she's saying, but she can't get anything I am. Weird stuff. We've also now found that the webcams work rarely. The school's connection isn't bad either; browsing is pretty quick. Has the school been able to prioritize what applications and activities get the most speed from their connection? I'm sure filesharing is slowed down, but why instant messaging? Some people need that to keep their relationships fresh and exciting!

Is there any way to, even though I'm plugged into their internet, bypass any of their network settings or limits?

Dan.

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
jeez you're lucky!

at my school, almost all pages are blocked, IM clients aren't allowed, and even some features of Word and similar programs are blocked!

Osarkon

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2006
Wales
You could try changing the ports the IM Clients use, although I honestly have no idea if that would help, it depends entirely on how the school have set the system up.

I also am astonished your school allows you to use IM services, my old one was a bit trigger happy with the filtering and we couldn't even use web based IM, and by the end of my school years Ebay was filtered ( that's what you get for daring the I.T teacher to do it as a joke of how silly they'd gone with the filters ;) )

LtRammstein

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2006
Denver, CO
I am going to take a wild shot at this, and I'm going to say packet shaping. My university used to be as bad as yours. I would use MSN and I would not be able to reply to people I talk to.

I would talk to your resident network (resnet) or IT department and tell them your problem. Hopefully they'll have a big enough heart to help you out.

Until then, I would use these guys suggestions.

Steve

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.