My scratched screen 2010 macbook pro hi res matte

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cloakedpegasus, Nov 5, 2010.

1. cloakedpegasus macrumors member

So my son gave my laptop screen the pen treatment and it now has several scratches. I was going to just replace the screen but I figure I would try and see if there are any ways to alleviate it's condition. If you search online you'll come upon some methods such as erasers and alcohol. Lol, they do not work! In fact, it ended up being worse after using the eraser.
    Anyhow, since I had already accepted the fact that I was going to have to buy a new screen I have had some trouble locating an appropriate replacement. I think I found the right apple part number for the matte hi res screen at this website http://www.appleinsider.com/article...veal_specs_of_apples_macbook_pro_refresh.html

However I want to try and get the samsung specific screen part number LTN154MT07.
    I found this screen on ebay however it lists in the description the apple partnumber for glossy, I assume the screens come in 2 flavors(same part number) matte and glossy.
    Does anyone have any experience with this? Recommended website? It seems like the lcd screens themselves are about 200-350 with the entire housing unit assembled being about 650-900. Also I could not find any guides online for disassembling the matte display, only the glossy with the glass screen.

To summarize, what is the best place to get this lcd replacement from and where can I find a guide for it (i looked at ifixit already)

2. dnenciu macrumors member

Actually I had a similar problem with a mate 17" mbp I scratched it by mistake and made it worse afterward trying to fix it.

I sent it to this company and had the screen coating replaced for ~100 usd they did a great job. I actually switched from mate to glossy (they do that too) so I can't tell you about their mate option.

This would be the cheapest option for you.

Also I disassembled the mate one and is not for the faint of heart you need to pretty much take the machine apart.

Here is the link for the screen replacement place:
    http://www.screentekinc.com/

3. cloakedpegasus thread starter macrumors member

I checked their website, ty. Only thing is that it for the part number I have it lists the resolution differently. It actually varies from website to website. Some have it as standard, others as hi res. Does anyone have an idea how much this would cost to have it replaced at the apple store? What about turnaround time?

4. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

Why not just give them a call? Whatever info they share will be more accurate than anything we could conjure. Though I'm afraid that they wouldn't offer to repair the coating (which seemed like a great way to go) but rather do a complete screen replacement. $$$

5. dnenciu macrumors member

Have them just change the coating on the screen, why would you want to pay extra to replace the whole screen when the screen is still fine?

6. dblissmn macrumors regular

This is where you need the website www.s**tmykidsruined.com (don't use the asterisks obviously!) At least a bit of comic relief.