My screen cracked; what should I do?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sonac36, Oct 9, 2011.

1. sonac36 macrumors newbie

I use my late 2009 unibody MacBook Pro with an external display, and yesterday I put it on my docking system as usual when I got home. At that point there were no cracks in the screen, and everything was working fine. This morning I took the computer and put it in my backpack without opening it, so I don't know if the screen was cracked then or not. I then took it somewhere in my backpack, and 15 minutes later opened it up to find two crack centers above the lcd (one on either side fo the webcam) that had spiderwebbed across the top and down the edges of the lcd. I don't know exactly how it happened. I didn't drop it or anything, but things were a little tight in my backpack.

I have found a service that will do same-day repairs for $130 on cracked glass, but my computer is under applecare. Is there any possibility that apple would repair/help for free, and if so, how long would I have to part with my computer for? If not, does the $130 repair sound like a good idea?

2. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

3. sonac36 thread starter macrumors newbie

Called apple

I followed your advice and went through the express lane thing. It didn't tell me the cost or anything, and told me to call apple. I called them and they said I would have to go to an Apple store to get it diagnosed and it would most likely cost over $300, but he couldn't give me an exact number. It doesn't sound like there's any way my warranty will cover it...

4. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

Considering that it's accidental damage not covered by AppleCare, that is possible I guess.
    Ever try SquareTrade?

5. sonac36 thread starter macrumors newbie

How does squaretrade work?

6. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

7. randomrazr macrumors 65816

lol squaretrade....

take it in the store and see what they can do

8. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

He already called them.
    Accidental damage is not covered by AppleCare.
    Repair is $300.

9. eljanitor macrumors 6502

eljanitor

Yep this is an out of pocket repair. When you put you laptop in your back pack be really careful. Even if its designed with a special compartment for the laptop. Books and whatever else you may have in there puts pressure on stuff like your laptop, and then well you see what happens. Sorry about your laptop that really sucks.

10. randomrazr macrumors 65816

my incase canvas backpack has a cotton quilted padded macbook compartment and yes it says for macbooks, as well as a speck hardshell on it. should be good eh?

11. Mojo1 macrumors 65816

12. eljanitor macrumors 6502

eljanitor

Be careful with your laptop in any bag.

13. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If you can, take it to an Apple Store (not call Apple Support); you might get a benevolent Genius who will get a manager to waive the repair charges. Even if they deny a free repair, they don't go screwing customers by recording the issue, so then you can take it to a third=party to fix.

Anyways $130 sounds pretty good to me as long as they are authorized and use the right parts. When I damaged the bezel (yes the LCD was fine) on my Mac, it cost me $300 plus tax to fix it.

14. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

Is it the glass, LCD, or both? People on eBay & the internet do this from $119.99-$189.99.

I personally hate the glass. I'd remove it and not even bother replacing it. It does little but dull the image. If it's the LCD, I would definitely replace it.