My screen is jumping!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Fox11, Jun 27, 2010.

1. Fox11 macrumors member

I turned on the MBP today (Mid-2007 Santa Rosa) and everything was going fine- until the screen started to jump! Literally the whole display bounces constantly, revealing a white line at the top of the screen (as if trying to center the screen or something). This is on the LCD- haven't tested it on a monitor yet... I just had my logic board replaced about 4 months ago for a faulty 8600GT chip- I'm so hoping it's not that. Any ideas?

2. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

uh oh. back to apple you go. sounds like a faulty 8600 again!

probably best to back everything up and try a complete reinstall, see how that goes...

3. Fox11 thread starter macrumors member

The genius at the Apple Store (when I got the logic board replaced a few months ago) told me the logic board would be replaced with a new 'Revision 2' board or something like that, which wouldn't have the faulty chip....

4. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

fair enough..

are you sure you dont have any wierd software installed? boot into single user mode and see if it still does it.

failing all of these, reinstall the OS.

5. Fox11 thread starter macrumors member

Oh no- yeah, I think it must be the graphics chip. NOOOO!! The screen continues to jump on shutdown/startup, so it must not be a software issue. Ugh, I'm not looking forward to all of the hassle involved in getting it fixed AGAIN!

6. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

im sorry to hear that :( there is still the remote possibility that it is a graphics driver issue - booting from the OS installation disc will identify this, if it continues then it would indeed be the GPU.

goodluck with it!

7. Fox11 thread starter macrumors member

I took the MBP to the Apple Store and the Genius ran the Nvidia card test and it passed- I haven't had any problems since, so I'm hoping it was just a weird thing, or possibly a one-time display issue... as they say, only time will tell.

8. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

ahhh ok. seems odd. if it happens again get picture proof from a physical camera, not just screen shots. then take it in :)

9. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Easy fix...

:apple: / System Preferences / Universal Access / Zoom / Off

Can get set to a pixel or 3 zoom, and it'll make the screen literally jump around.

Has a keyboard activation, so a cat or dog across the keyboard can activate it.