Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fox11

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 8, 2009
I turned on the MBP today (Mid-2007 Santa Rosa) and everything was going fine- until the screen started to jump! Literally the whole display bounces constantly, revealing a white line at the top of the screen (as if trying to center the screen or something). This is on the LCD- haven't tested it on a monitor yet... I just had my logic board replaced about 4 months ago for a faulty 8600GT chip- I'm so hoping it's not that. Any ideas?

Fox11

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 8, 2009
The genius at the Apple Store (when I got the logic board replaced a few months ago) told me the logic board would be replaced with a new 'Revision 2' board or something like that, which wouldn't have the faulty chip....

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
The genius at the Apple Store (when I got the logic board replaced a few months ago) told me the logic board would be replaced with a new 'Revision 2' board or something like that, which wouldn't have the faulty chip....

fair enough..

are you sure you dont have any wierd software installed? boot into single user mode and see if it still does it.

failing all of these, reinstall the OS.

Fox11

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 8, 2009
Oh no- yeah, I think it must be the graphics chip. NOOOO!! The screen continues to jump on shutdown/startup, so it must not be a software issue. Ugh, I'm not looking forward to all of the hassle involved in getting it fixed AGAIN!

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Oh no- yeah, I think it must be the graphics chip. NOOOO!! The screen continues to jump on shutdown/startup, so it must not be a software issue. Ugh, I'm not looking forward to all of the hassle involved in getting it fixed AGAIN!

im sorry to hear that :( there is still the remote possibility that it is a graphics driver issue - booting from the OS installation disc will identify this, if it continues then it would indeed be the GPU.

goodluck with it!

Fox11

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 8, 2009
I took the MBP to the Apple Store and the Genius ran the Nvidia card test and it passed- I haven't had any problems since, so I'm hoping it was just a weird thing, or possibly a one-time display issue... as they say, only time will tell.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Easy fix...

:apple: / System Preferences / Universal Access / Zoom / Off

Can get set to a pixel or 3 zoom, and it'll make the screen literally jump around.

Has a keyboard activation, so a cat or dog across the keyboard can activate it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.