My screen keeps "blinking?"

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by TotoroRecall, Mar 8, 2014.

1. TotoroRecall, Mar 8, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2014

TotoroRecall macrumors newbie

After I took my Macbook Pro mid 2010 to the Apple bar to get serviced (they did a wipe and clean install) my screen keeps "blinking" - as in every minute or half-minute my desktop goes blank to wallpaper and all my icons "disappear" for a second and then everything comes back to normal. I've tried shutdown/restart, but the problem still persists.

It's also not just a "too many things at startup" problem - it persists the whole time the computer is/has been on. I have 300 GB free on my 500 GB SSD, so I'm pretty sure it's not a space/startup disk full issue. I'm also not running anything too crazy - Chrome, Word, and sometimes Steam is all that's going on. I've checked my activity monitor - nothing is taking up space in the background, etc.

I'm really not too crazy about going back to the Apple store because it's always at least an hour or an hour and a half with half an hour of sitting around.

2. macs4nw macrumors 601

macs4nw

As inconvenient as that may be, it's your best option, since they worked on your MBP, and you should have received an invoice proving that. In addition, they have the parts and equipment, if needed, for a fast turn-around.

3. msevild macrumors regular

Sounds like the finder is constantly crashing on you. Can you open up console and post the crash report for the finder? Might give us more information s to what is causing it. Did you restore any data after you received the unit back? I've only encountered this once and it was due to an old stuffit system preference that was installed on the machine.

4. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

Finder restarting is what it sounds like to me, too. Console should lead you to the problem, as msevild wrote.

I've seen this happening with Google Drive as the cause.