My Seagate support nightmare

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by cubeeggs, Aug 6, 2012.

1. cubeeggs macrumors member

Seagate used to sell hard drives with five-year warranties, but apparently forgot this after only three years. After getting that sorted out, they sent me a “certified repaired” replacement that failed after a few weeks. I requested that they send me a new drive instead of a refurb, which they agreed to do, but ended up instead sending me another refurb, which was bad on arrival. I could just buy a new hard drive from a company that doesn’t totally suck, but I don’t want to let Seagate get away with sending me bad replacement drives and effectively continuing to dishonor their warranty. What would be really great is if there’s grounds for a class action lawsuit against them for all the other warranties they’re also presumably refusing to properly honor.

I started a blog to share my experiences:
    http://seagatesucks.wordpress.com

2. RedCroissant Suspended

Wow. I read your blog and that does not inspire confidence. That makes sense though because Seagate bought Maxtor(which also sucked) and I think they also acquired SimpleTec(which was also bad quality). If you can find some way to get a partial refund or something from them for all this trouble, go and get a Western Digital drive and be sure to write an email or letter to someone over there that matters.

I just hope that your experience is a fluke because I recently installed a 3TB Seagate Barracuda into my iMac.