My Search for Headphones Finally Over!?!

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by Irishman, Jul 2, 2014.

1. Irishman macrumors 68030

Three days ago, I finally overcame my analysis paralysis over picking some good quality headphones. To put it into perspective, I had begun looking into a headphone purchase back in 2011, when I started demoing things like B&W's P5s at Magnolia/Best Buy.

Well, I think I've finally found the headphones for me. I decided on the Sennheiser Momentum On-Ears. I'm listening to them right now, kinda sorta breaking them in on music from my iPhone, and video games on my Mac.

I realize that the Momentums aren't the flattest response headphones out there, but to my ear, their "house sound" is really non-offensive. I like the build quality, as well. They're very tight, and it's easy to see and hear where the money went.

More of a review will come later, after I've had time to formulate some more coherent thoughts on them.

Later!

2. Destroysall macrumors 65816

Destroysall

I personally preferred the P5 to the Momentum. However, if you ever get the chance, try the Audio Technica ESW9. They are by far my favorite portable headphone. Their sound signature is different from the Momentum. The Momentum is a dark and warm headphone, almost comparable to the HD 650. The ESW9 doesn't have that veil and may lack the bass that can be produced by the P5 and the Momentum, but it is definitely worth listening to. It's a very natural, warm, and organic sounding headphone.

3. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

For anyone into audio quality your search is never really over.:D It's just over for now..;)

4. ChrisA macrumors G4

Where you thinking that you only get one chance in your lifetime to buy headphones? Most people who use them own several pair. There really is no "best" but some are better for different uses. Some work well when I am setting up sound recording with a video camera, I use a cheap closed back pair for guitar practice and in-ear type when outdoors with an iPod and so on.....

5. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Just to add: Transducers (microphones, speakers including headphones) are extremely subjective.

6. m00min macrumors 6502

Good choice, I have some Sennheiser on-ear Momentums for use at home and some IE8s for work. Sennheiser do make some awesome headphones.

7. Irishman thread starter macrumors 68030

Stop...don't do that... :)

I know. I know. Don't harsh my buzz, man!

----------

I may do that, but for now, any disposable income for the man cave will go towards a new AVR and a new sub.

8. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Agree completely re the Bowers & Wilkins P5s; they are my favourite headphones - ever - for a combination of excellent audio, superb build quality, utter comfort, and a nice portable size…..

I haven't yet tried the Audio Technica ESW0 - but am more than aware that Audio Technica make excellent audio products, so I will certainly try them out at some stage.

Unfortunately, there is far too much truth in that statement for my peace of mind…...

9. mwa Suspended

mwa

I know I'm late to the game, but I'm looking to pick up a pair of AKG K240 Studio phones - will I need an in-line amp to listen with my iPhone?

thank you!

10. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

No.

11. UBS28 macrumors 6502a

At that price range, I preferred the Sony MDR-1R over the Sennheiser Momentus due to price and comfort. I also liked the sound better of the Sony MDR-1R.

However both headphones sound way too slow and not accurate, but what can you expect at that price range :)

12. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Just to add. mwa before spending money on an amp you should spend the absolute MAXIMUM amount you can on the headphones. Transducers have a far greater impact on the quality (and timbre) of the sound than electronics.

13. GoingDark macrumors 6502

In that price range my favourite headphones would be the V-Moda M-80 on-ears. Not a "flat" sounding set of cans by any means but they do punch above their weight and are comparable to headphones costing two or three times as much.

14. bwhli macrumors 6502a

bwhli

You might want to look elsewhere if you want to use these on the go. The K240s are semi-open which mean they will leak sound/not isolate as well as fully closed models.

15. mwa Suspended

mwa

Amazon had them $150 off (109 instead of 259) so I bought a pair. The K701's are $195, down from $479, but I won't be able to tell the difference between the two so i went cheaper.

They're absolutely fantastic headphones.

Thanks for the help!