My Second laptop

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Epic Xbox Revie, Aug 8, 2011.

?

Which 11" Model?

1. 2GB RAM, 64GB SSD 11" MBA

2 vote(s)
    11.1%
  2. 4GB RAM, 128GB SSD 11" MBA

11 vote(s)
    61.1%
  3. 4GB RAM, 128GB SSD 13" MBA

5 vote(s)
    27.8%
  1. Epic Xbox Revie, Aug 8, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2011

Epic Xbox Revie macrumors 6502a

Epic Xbox Revie

Welcome!

I recently sold my iPad 2 because I didn't use it much, or at all really. I thought I would use it while having an iMac. But now that I am going to college I went ahead and got a 15" MBP, with the specs in my signature.. (user upgraded). Now I have the iPad chunk of change and I also have the 20% laptop code from Amazon's Kindle Special Offer. (WHAT A DEAL) Now my question is: Which laptop to get??

I really think the 11" would be the most complimentary to my 15" MBP.. Currently I would like to use the 15" for heavy tasks, and most, if not all of my school work. And I would use the 11" for personal use and the occasional assignment. I would likely leave the 15" in my dorm room most of the time, or with classes. And take the 11" out for "fun" around campus.

I am a Computer Science major. (Freshman)

Here are screenshots of the 2 options of the 11" I have. (2GB RAM/64SSD) vs (4GB RAM 128SSD)

Which would be the best for cost (haha), resale value (if I choose to upgrade later?), and usefullness?

Thanks for the advice.

Leaning towards the low end one as of now, going to sleep on it.

Attached Files:

2. sumone macrumors regular

Well you don't have to take my advice but personally I would say neither.

I will be a junior in computer science this fall. Altogether I own four laptops and two desktops which contain both Mac's and PC's but honestly I don't need these many computers. I find that I primarily use one (MBP) and then every so often I use my other laptop (windows 7 PC). I think one good computer for college is all you really need. Portability really is not as big of a deal in college as you may think. Most schools have plenty of computer labs which I made use of my first two years and this was way more portable than having to bring any computer back and forth to campus.

You may want to use a computer to take notes in class but from experience I have realized that this really isn't necessary. Many teachers use power points which I see most students print out before class. This is actually way more useful and convenient for taking notes on than a computer, imo. For your physical science classes and math classes taking notes on a computer is way more of a hassle and most folks who have been through it will tell you that Pencil and Paper is the best way to go. If your computer science professors require that you use a computer during class then more than likely the class will take place in a computer lab and thus remove the need for you to bring your own.

If I were you I would keep the money no need to buy multiples of something you already have especially considering that the computer you already have is more powerful than the one you plan on getting.

3. Epic Xbox Revie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Epic Xbox Revie

Well, I've already applied my code for 20% off. What would you suggest? Sell a laptop that I get? (Where?) (ebay is expensive)

4. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

I too would say neither, however for resale value I'd get the high-end 11".

eBay isn't that expensive, but if you don't want to use it there are other services like Craigslist.

5. Epic Xbox Revie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Epic Xbox Revie

Why do you have SIX and say not to get a second? That seems to be a big jump from two to six.

eBay is like 5-11% of the sale... that's pretty expensive considering it's 20% off.

6. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

My son is a junior in college and gets by with a single 13 in MBP. I would agree with others in this thread and say neither. You don't "need" a second machine. However if you "want" a second machine, I say go with the high spec 11 in MBA as it is more capable but still very portable. As for taking your MBA around campus to "have fun" I suggest you find a reputable accidental damage policy. Applecare will pay for some things and depending on the circumstances it will even cover spilled liquid on the keyboard. But I suggest an additional "accidental damage" insurance for you because no good can come of taking a laptop around campus to "have fun".
    [​IMG]

7. Epic Xbox Revie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Epic Xbox Revie

I appreciate the thought. And the picture. But that's not really what I meant. :D

8. Epic Xbox Revie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Epic Xbox Revie

I'm going with my gut on the lowest entry level MBA. Thanks for opinions, and I may make a forum later on on how this turns out.

9. Young Spade macrumors 68020

I was going to say to get the 11 inch, 4 gb, with a 128gb hard drive. Anything lower than that (RAM, HD) is just too small for a computer now a days. I really, really can't see how Apple execs sleep at night knowing they are selling something like that for 1000 dollars.

10. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Definitely don't get the 2GB model. With that little RAM it will have about as much useful life as a 2006 Core Duo Macbook has today. It doesn't matter how fast the CPU and SSD are if the RAM is too little. Heck even at 4GB the RAM will make the computer obsolete before the CPU.