My Second Mac

krause734

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2010
I recently parted with my 2006 Macbook Pro for $700 on craigslist and I am hoping to use the money to purchase a new iMac or Macbook Pro. I was surprised at the high resale value of my used computer and I am glad that I purchased an Apple product. Part of the reason why I sold the laptop is because the battery life was so short that I left it plugged in all the time and basically used it as a desktop. However the new Macbook Pros have a longer battery life, so that is definitely an option.
However, I would like some advice on when and what to purchase next. Apple has just updated the iMac so that seems like a solid choice with the new i3 processors and improved video cards. I am debating on purchasing now or waiting for the new iLife to come out and perhaps even waiting for the next OS 10.7. I am also wondering if the new iPod touch will come out before the student rebate expires.
I am an engineering student so I will probably need to run Windows 7 for some of the C++ programming and CAD programs. Does anyone have any good sites for student pricing or tips on installing Windows 7 on a Mac?
Finally, cost is an issue. I would probably end up selling the free printer, ipod touch, and magic mouse on amazon or ebay to bring the price down a bit. Student pricing saves $50 as well, so I think I'm looking at around $900 for a new base iMac or Macbook Pro. Thanks for any advice/tips.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Do you need portability? iMac is noticeably faster and CAD apps are pretty heavy AFAIK so iMac would be a better deal for you if portability isn't an issue. Windows 7 is pretty easy to install, just use Boot Camp Assistant. There won't be a new iPod because the student promo is so Apple can get rid of old stock before refresh.

Comment

krause734

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2010
Thanks

Thanks for the advice guys.
I went with the 21.5" iMac i3 500GB and I am happy with it.
I kind of miss the portability, but it is much faster than my Macbook Pro and has 4X memory and hard drive and the screen is a monster. (I thought they sent me the 27-inch when I opened it, but now I'm getting used to how big it is)
I was debating on whether to upgrade my hard drive or the memory, but I think I will wait until it gets to that point.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.