My Second Mac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by krause734, Jul 30, 2010.

1. krause734 macrumors 6502

krause734

I recently parted with my 2006 Macbook Pro for $700 on craigslist and I am hoping to use the money to purchase a new iMac or Macbook Pro. I was surprised at the high resale value of my used computer and I am glad that I purchased an Apple product. Part of the reason why I sold the laptop is because the battery life was so short that I left it plugged in all the time and basically used it as a desktop. However the new Macbook Pros have a longer battery life, so that is definitely an option.
    However, I would like some advice on when and what to purchase next. Apple has just updated the iMac so that seems like a solid choice with the new i3 processors and improved video cards. I am debating on purchasing now or waiting for the new iLife to come out and perhaps even waiting for the next OS 10.7. I am also wondering if the new iPod touch will come out before the student rebate expires.
    I am an engineering student so I will probably need to run Windows 7 for some of the C++ programming and CAD programs. Does anyone have any good sites for student pricing or tips on installing Windows 7 on a Mac?
    Finally, cost is an issue. I would probably end up selling the free printer, ipod touch, and magic mouse on amazon or ebay to bring the price down a bit. Student pricing saves $50 as well, so I think I'm looking at around $900 for a new base iMac or Macbook Pro. Thanks for any advice/tips.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Do you need portability? iMac is noticeably faster and CAD apps are pretty heavy AFAIK so iMac would be a better deal for you if portability isn't an issue. Windows 7 is pretty easy to install, just use Boot Camp Assistant. There won't be a new iPod because the student promo is so Apple can get rid of old stock before refresh.

3. krause734 thread starter macrumors 6502

krause734

Thanks

Thanks for the advice guys.
    I went with the 21.5" iMac i3 500GB and I am happy with it.
    I kind of miss the portability, but it is much faster than my Macbook Pro and has 4X memory and hard drive and the screen is a monster. (I thought they sent me the 27-inch when I opened it, but now I'm getting used to how big it is)
    I was debating on whether to upgrade my hard drive or the memory, but I think I will wait until it gets to that point.

4. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

Sounds awesome. Glad you love your new computer!