My Second New iPhone 4 Is...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wirelessmacuser, Jul 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

My Second New iPhone Is... Terrific!

Yet it may be short lived. Here's the latest:

Android Gains, Apple Wanes -- Oh Yes, Yet Again!

Don't look now, Apple fanatics, but Android's just made another noteworthy leap in mobile market share.

Google's Android platform grew by 44 percent from February to May, according to a report released Thursday by ComScore. During the three-month period from December to February, Android commanded an average of 9 percent of the U.S. smartphone market. In the next three-month period, from March to May, it had shot up to an average of 13.

Now, it goes without saying that 13 percent is still a relatively small piece of the pie. But the overall trends are what we're watching here -- and, gauging by a wide range of data from numerous sources, Android is showing consistent growth at a pace its competitors can't match.

source
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/200727/android_gains_apple_wanes_oh_yes_yet_again.html

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

3. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

This thread is confusing.

Why do I care if Android gained 14%?

Are you a bot?

4. Pushkar macrumors 6502a

Lol, I'd presume that Android ate up some of the market share due to the Evo being launched and nobody bought iPhones during that time due to the Gizmodo leak.

I'd love to see June/July and forthcoming statistics.

5. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

Funny no matter where I go I see very little Android devices, most of what I see in this order is:

Apple iPhones
    BlackBerry's
    LG Phones

I rarely see anyone with anything other then a Droid here and there, but I guess some one is manipulating the numbers just like all the crooked CEO's do.

6. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Why you want to gain attention using an iPhone title in the thread, posting the f@cking Android market share in the iPhone section of MacRumors?

7. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

1) The iPhone numbers are skewed b/c most people were delaying purchase in May for the iP4 in June. Also supply of the entry level 3G dried up so that market was completely closed off. I think the numbers for the rest of the year will show substantial iPhone growth

2) Current Android market share is not sustainable b/c of key demographic that buys them is limited in population, and probably helped by the fact the iPhone is only on one network vs. 4 for Android. Even w/ Android having the leg up of being available on all US networks its over all marketshare is still much less dominating than for the iPhone, which is only one one network.

3) To the extent the Android is the anti-iPhone, it's going to have to compete with Win Phone 7 this fall. I don't think Win Phone 7 will take marketshare from Android, but it will stunt its growth.

8. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

I personally think Microsoft's Win7 will fail, let's face it, Apple has a great product aside from the release issues with i4, they had a great phone on a single market in the USA outselling almost everything, pretty darn good if you ask me.

RIM is on almost every carrier, so are Android based phones, and the MS Windows Mobile 6.0 and 6.5 basically is done for, so MS bringing Win7 Mobile to compete now, would be like bringing back the Edsel car with all the fixins and you will get some people laughing and some just for Nostalgia sake that will buy that it.

Now if you want to compare Apple's to Apple's no Phun intended, look at the 4 years of the iPhone on just AT&T, then try to compare just Verizon with one phone their most popular Android, well since there is a lack of Android pre 2 years ago, AT&T and Apple blow away them all.

Consider the issues AT&T was faced with the iPhone's hunger for data, and the fact the phone is only on one carrier, I think AT&T has done a fair job of being able to manage their service with the phone, however media wise they mishandled things a bit.

Verizon does not have one phone like the iPhone that soaks up that much data, also consider until just recently they only had phones on 3G only, very few had WiFi, so if you look at their Data usage on 3G it is way less than AT&T's.

Personally I think Microsoft's days of being a Tech Leader are doomed. There are multiple OS's out there now including GUI versions of Linux/Unix, Mac OS and people are not upgrading at the rate they did years ago, they take a wait and see approach. Why spend hundred's of dollars on MS Office etc when you can get software for Free that is just as good.

Business models may be around for a while within MS but I see there days of Gloom ahead unless they can get a superior product to market that will sell, and frankly I don't see that anytime soon.

:rolleyes:

9. xpected_one macrumors regular

xpected_one

Thanks? Id like to now go back to doing something useful.

10. army91c macrumors 6502a

How many pc's are rolling MS? Lots...... I don't think MS has much to worry about. I love my vista, love win 7 even more.
    I think the win 7 platform will do just fine in the cell market. It won't go ape **** but it doesn't need to.

11. diabolic macrumors 68000

I'm not sure people should put much stock in these marketshare comparisons. Maybe it would be relevant if Apple was offering iOS for free to other hardware manufacturers, but otherwise I don't think they'll be too worried about the numbers. Just the fact that Android can be adopted by a hardware company for free makes it the inevitable choice for most new devices. That's far from making it the best available OS for a consumer. It still has that Linux-like lack of polish and coherence, and I don't see that changing soon.

12. LordOBoogie macrumors 6502a

LordOBoogie

Um, thanks for sharing? Did you think this was the Android Rumors forum?

13. iAmYou macrumors 6502

iAmYou

I am not only lost on this. I dont even think i care.

14. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Fail is strong. It won't be gangbusters, but it's not going to be a disaster. The current, and absolutely aging clunk of an OS, Win Mobile has a 13% marketshare. If that dull, decayed turd can still attract 13% of the smartphone market Win7 will do nothing but improve Win Mobile's fortunes. It's based on Zune HD, which has a decent UI, and def. more unique and polished than Android. That is why I contend it will impede Android growth at its current rate.

There are plenty of Win fans around that will embrace Win 7 but otherwise would pick Android. Win 7 will have minimal effect on iPhone growth -- different market.

15. quotison macrumors member

Well, of course when you're starting at 9% you're going to have a level of growth that your competitors with a large market share already can't match.

Obviously it's clear by now that Android is a legitimate platform in the smart phone market and will be here to stay -- I don't think that really implies anything about iOS's long term success, though...

Isn't the OP the one that always talks about the good 'ol days of Apple where Steve Jobs wasn't a raging egomaniac? Wouldn't make much sense to make a "market share = quality" argument then, if you're such a fan of pre-iPhone Apple.

16. Zillio macrumors newbie

Isn't the main reason Android is gaining market share because it is free, so everybody is just jumping onboard? The linked development of Apple's software and hardware will always produced a more refined user experience. The Nexus One has this advantage too but Google need a bit more practice to really nail it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.