My Second overheating 15" unibody after my MBP Fire!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kenbrinkman, Jun 18, 2009.

1. kenbrinkman macrumors regular

kenbrinkman

So I had the unibody macbook pro that caught fire a couple of weeks ago. Apple handled it very well and within 3 days I had a new macbook pro with a bumped cpu. So tonight, I was playing COD4 on my mac and I had headphones plugged in. I was gaming away then my computer shut itself off. I tried to pick it up but the bottom was so hot it burned my fingers. I left it to cool down for an hour or so then powered it back on. Nothing was damaged, but what the heck is going on with these? I was babying this computer to no end, after having my house almost torched from my first one. The first time I try to tax the gpu/cpu it shuts itself off?

What should I do? Maybe I'll call Apple in the morning if they're not inundated with iPhone calls. This shouldn't happen to a $3000 computer. It shouldn't overheat to the point of shutting down unexpectedly without any sign. And I don't think its fair to blame me for having earphones in and not catching it sooner. I was playing a computer game...on a computer. I don't understand. I've been a loyal Apple fanboy for a long time now. Trouble is, if I want to switch, I'll have no where to go. I don't know a thing about HP's or Dells.

[​IMG]

2. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

Macs are meant for imputing things into calendars and light web browsing (no more than three tabs!), not playing graphic intensive video games.

3. ddeadserious macrumors 6502a

ddeadserious

[​IMG]

4. gretafour macrumors regular

What you should do is have the wiring of your house inspected by an electrician! Also make sure you're using the three-pronged plug and that the outlets are wired for proper grounding.

Or maybe you've just bought two lemons!

Either way, you're pretty unlucky.

5. kenbrinkman thread starter macrumors regular

kenbrinkman

then what's the point of a NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT with 512 MB of dedicated memory?

6. kenbrinkman thread starter macrumors regular

kenbrinkman

my power is coming from a 24" LED Cinema Display, through a surge protector, directly to the wall.

7. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

I was making a really bad joke above. I'm actually interested in the fire story though because I can play BF2 maxed out for hours at a time. I also use earphones because my Boses output better quality.

8. kenbrinkman thread starter macrumors regular

kenbrinkman

I gotcha, just making a point.

9. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

What's the fire story! I want to hear it!!! I assume it was an electrical fire?

10. kenbrinkman thread starter macrumors regular

kenbrinkman

Read 'em and weep

11. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

That is pretty darn scary considering that you weren't sitting at your desk using it when it happened. I would have had a **** fit with Apple the next day when I spoke to them haha.

12. fpnc macrumors 68000

On what type of surface is your MacBook Pro resting? Also, is it inclined back up or down?

13. kenbrinkman thread starter macrumors regular

kenbrinkman

My MacBook Pro is sitting perpendicular to my LED Cinema Display, with it's ports facing the the wall. It's parallel to the desk.

14. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

well it seems obvious that this is a problem with the GPU overheating and shutting down. there isnt enough airflow for it to cool down inside there.

the case is supposed to get hot (as wierd as it sounds) - it acts as a massive heatsync. no idea why its shutting down though i thought they would have developed it enough for the heat, must be a once/twice off.

are you playing under bootcamp or osx? (im presuming OSX because of the error message) osx rules out the crappy fan mangement that bootcamp has :\

oh oh , lid open or closed??

15. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

Im gonna say that if it happens twice its the operator causing the problem. 1 time maybe, but twice in a row? unlikely

16. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

thats why i asked a number of specific - professional - narrow questions to try to figure out what is causing it :cool: :p

17. thedarkhorse macrumors 6502a

try using the SMC fan control application and set your fans to max when you game(or input remapper if you're gaming in windows)

18. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

yeah the fans spin over 3x the default speed if you nudge em' a little.

19. Kronie macrumors 6502a

Kronie

That's bad luck. Why not get a good laptop cooler?

20. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

you weren't playing in a really hot room were you? I know mine is really sensitive to ambient temp. I've had my mbp shut down on me once while gaming; since then, I use a laptop cooler, along w/ some small pegs to elevate it 1/4"...no probs

21. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

mine spin 6X their default :p

22. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Any computer that costs over a grand should play modern video games in a position which it is able to be used, even if it means he uses it with a closed lid.

The problem is that OS X's open GL is so #$%^&* bad that it taxes the GPU to the extreme. Try playing a video game, such as WoW, in Windows, then reboot and play it in OS X. On Windows, I can play WoW on my bare lap - On OS X, I can't. It's an OS X issue, and the user who stated that macs are for light internet browsing (no flash) and email is 100% correct.

23. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

yes i am with you here 100%, OpenGL really has to be fixed.. its hopeless! how can we possibly expect good framerates when we are using such ****** software., the hardware is F_I_N_E - however the fact that it overheats is a worry.. is it a once off problem in manufactoring? there clearly isnt enough air moving around no matter what the problem is.

the fella that said its for email was kidding haha! read further on ;)

24. dusanv macrumors 6502

Use FanControl to regulate the fan speed based on CPU temperature. MBPs never ever spin up their fans. My old SR MBP overheated during Windows install. I got a 17'' unibody yesterday and it overheated once already (didn't think it needed FanControl with 45nm chip and the 9400).