My series 2 battery is lasting surprisingly long

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by vmflapem, Jan 2, 2017.

1. vmflapem macrumors 6502

I charged it to 100% exactly 22 hours ago and it's been running continuously on battery since then and it's now at 84%. I was very surprised because I definitely thought I'd have to charge it everyday. I turned off heart rate and activity tracking because I don't use those. I disabled 'raise to turn on screen' because it keeps turning on when I don't want it to. I received a lot of notifications today and I used my watch quite a lot to look at time, calendars (schedule), notifications, etc.
    If you're a casual user like me, definitely don't worry about the battery life.

2. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Those are good numbers for battery life. You can also disable 'Hey Siri', which will conserve battery life from the microphone listening for your voice.

3. Justim macrumors 6502

Do you track workouts with the watch? If not, that could be a big part of why you're getting double battery life.

4. Shinigami301 macrumors regular

Shinigami301

Well, heck, at the rate you're going, why not just shut the thing off and save even more battery?

5. Ffosse macrumors 6502a

Compared with my S0 (which I had only briefly) the battery life of the S2 is very good. I don't have anything turned off and use the GPS and music streaming quite a bit.

6. BlueMoon63 macrumors 68000

Series 2 for workouts is incredible. I use workout other for 75 minutes and it burns 8% battery. GPS would be more of a burner, but let's not make it sound like workouts kill the battery anymore. I would burn 25% on my series 2 for 2+ hours of golf. Now I burn 15% for the same timeframe.

It's definitely been improved with software updates and series 2 helps even more.

7. Kjung7 macrumors 6502

I'm ending my day at around 75%. I take it off the charger around 6:45AM and back on the charger around 11:30PM. This is with notifications on and about an hour workout too. I'm really impressed and definitely have no worries about battery life.

8. vmflapem thread starter macrumors 6502

I hope you're being sarcastic. Everyone has different usage for electronic devices. I use my apple watch as a watch. Any problem with that?

9. jsmitty macrumors regular

I'm at 65% at the end of the day starting with a full charge. Everything is turned on and I had a short run tracked with GPS today. Way better than my S0 - about 2x

10. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

It makes me wonder when Apple will re-release another update after the last botched one. I never upgraded to 3.1.1.

11. bob24 macrumors 6502

Mine is around 50% after 24 hours of use (wearing it during the night after a full charge, no-third party app installed, and mostly the default settings).

Wondering if turning the health tracking alone is what gives you some much more power saving or if there could be something else (my use if the watch is probably average ... a few notifications, review of my activity a few times throughout the day, checking the time on a regular basis).

12. jamin00 macrumors 6502a

jamin00

Im getting 2 days out of mine. Nothing is turned off and I use for sleep tracking too.

However I have just started back at the gym today so will see how much of an effect using it for workouts will have on it.

Very happy with a day tbh so anything over for me is a bonus :)

13. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Disabling all the health rate and fitness options, really saves a huge amount of battery, even on the first generation watch as well. That's what I do to manage the battery if I'm not using the fitness portion of it.

14. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Same here with my orginal AW :)

15. Stmarani macrumors newbie

Stmarani

Hi to everybody. I'm surprised. My battery don't last so long, maximum 1,5 day with sleep tracking (a must for me) in airplane mode and some workouts... What can I do?

16. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

1.5 days isn't to bad for length. How are you using sleep monitoring in airplane mode? Also if you want to improve your battery, you can turn off Hey Siri, reduce brightness/Haptic.

17. Stmarani macrumors newbie

Stmarani

Thanks, I set always airplane mode during the sleep and I turned off Hey Siri BUT NOT heart rate. For example, this night (it's 9 a.m, now in Italy ;-) ) for a sleep time of 7 hrs and something the drain was 22/23% using Sleep++: too much IMHO. May be because both Sleep++ and Heartwatch were active? I will try this night with only Heartwath if the sleep is detected...

18. DataOdyssey macrumors newbie

DataOdyssey

I pull my Rose Gold S2 off the charger at 4.00am every morning and pop it back on at 10.00pm just before I fall asleep. At the end of the day, I usually have about 72% displayed as I put it on the charger. I do have literally everything running on it, non-stop notifications and nothing disabled. I particularly use the health apps everyday to monitor my health. It could easily last 2 days before being recharged. I'm very impressed with the S2.

19. SoN1NjA macrumors 65816

SoN1NjA

thanks, just turned it off

Siri is so slow on the Apple Watch 1st Gen it's not even worth using
    And then after you wait 5 seconds for it to be ready the question you ask it, it can't answer that question

20. WingNut33 macrumors newbie

WingNut33

I'm new to the forums, so don't hold it against me if I ask a question that's been asked a lot already.

I'm looking at getting a Series 2 Nike+ watch and have been wondering about which size to get. I've heard the 38mm battery doesn't last as long as the 42mm. I really like the numbers you all are talking about, but nobody has mentioned which size you're wearing.

Could some of you specify if you're wearing a 38 or 42?

Thanks.

21. SoN1NjA macrumors 65816

SoN1NjA

Most likely the 42, however the 38's battery life wouldn't be as much of a difference as you're most likely thinking

Would go on the size that fits or looks on you better, the battery life between the two isn't that signficant

22. pat park macrumors 6502a

Where do you turn Hey Siri on/off? In the Watch app on your phone? I couldn't find the setting for the Watch.

23. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

In the Watch, select General, Siri, Turn/Off.

24. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

So is my orginal AW, too. It lasted for 2 days. Awesome!

25. Ffosse macrumors 6502a