My series 2 battery is lasting surprisingly long

vmflapem

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 27, 2013
I charged it to 100% exactly 22 hours ago and it's been running continuously on battery since then and it's now at 84%. I was very surprised because I definitely thought I'd have to charge it everyday. I turned off heart rate and activity tracking because I don't use those. I disabled 'raise to turn on screen' because it keeps turning on when I don't want it to. I received a lot of notifications today and I used my watch quite a lot to look at time, calendars (schedule), notifications, etc.
If you're a casual user like me, definitely don't worry about the battery life.

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
I charged it to 100% exactly 22 hours ago and it's been running continuously on battery since then and it's now at 84%. I was very surprised because I definitely thought I'd have to charge it everyday. I turned off heart rate and activity tracking because I don't use those. I disabled 'raise to turn on screen' because it keeps turning on when I don't want it to. I received a lot of notifications today and I used my watch quite a lot to look at time, calendars (schedule), notifications, etc.
Those are good numbers for battery life. You can also disable 'Hey Siri', which will conserve battery life from the microphone listening for your voice.

Justim

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2011
Do you track workouts with the watch? If not, that could be a big part of why you're getting double battery life.

Reactions: Ffosse

Shinigami301

Suspended
Jun 5, 2010
cogito, ergo zoom.

Well, heck, at the rate you're going, why not just shut the thing off and save even more battery?

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2012
Compared with my S0 (which I had only briefly) the battery life of the S2 is very good. I don't have anything turned off and use the GPS and music streaming quite a bit.

BlueMoon63

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2015
Do you track workouts with the watch? If not, that could be a big part of why you're getting double battery life.
Series 2 for workouts is incredible. I use workout other for 75 minutes and it burns 8% battery. GPS would be more of a burner, but let's not make it sound like workouts kill the battery anymore. I would burn 25% on my series 2 for 2+ hours of golf. Now I burn 15% for the same timeframe.

It's definitely been improved with software updates and series 2 helps even more.

Reactions: Relentless Power

Kjung7

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2013
I'm ending my day at around 75%. I take it off the charger around 6:45AM and back on the charger around 11:30PM. This is with notifications on and about an hour workout too. I'm really impressed and definitely have no worries about battery life.

vmflapem

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 27, 2013
Well, heck, at the rate you're going, why not just shut the thing off and save even more battery?
I hope you're being sarcastic. Everyone has different usage for electronic devices. I use my apple watch as a watch. Any problem with that?

jsmitty

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2016
NC
I'm at 65% at the end of the day starting with a full charge. Everything is turned on and I had a short run tracked with GPS today. Way better than my S0 - about 2x

Reactions: Vampire14

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
Series 2 for workouts is incredible. I use workout other for 75 minutes and it burns 8% battery. GPS would be more of a burner, but let's not make it sound like workouts kill the battery anymore. I would burn 25% on my series 2 for 2+ hours of golf. Now I burn 15% for the same timeframe.

It's definitely been improved with software updates and series 2 helps even more.
It makes me wonder when Apple will re-release another update after the last botched one. I never upgraded to 3.1.1.

bob24

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2012
Dublin, Ireland
Mine is around 50% after 24 hours of use (wearing it during the night after a full charge, no-third party app installed, and mostly the default settings).

Wondering if turning the health tracking alone is what gives you some much more power saving or if there could be something else (my use if the watch is probably average ... a few notifications, review of my activity a few times throughout the day, checking the time on a regular basis).

Reactions: Relentless Power

jamin00

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2012
Essex, UK.
Im getting 2 days out of mine. Nothing is turned off and I use for sleep tracking too.

However I have just started back at the gym today so will see how much of an effect using it for workouts will have on it.

Very happy with a day tbh so anything over for me is a bonus :)

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
Mine is around 50% after 24 hours of use (wearing it during the night after a full charge, no-third party app installed, and mostly the default settings).

Wondering if turning the health tracking alone is what gives you some much more power saving or if there could be something else (my use if the watch is probably average ... a few notifications, review of my activity a few times throughout the day, checking the time on a regular basis).
Disabling all the health rate and fitness options, really saves a huge amount of battery, even on the first generation watch as well. That's what I do to manage the battery if I'm not using the fitness portion of it.

Reactions: bob24

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
Same here with my orginal AW :)

Stmarani

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2017
Milano, Italy
Hi to everybody. I'm surprised. My battery don't last so long, maximum 1,5 day with sleep tracking (a must for me) in airplane mode and some workouts... What can I do?

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
Hi to everybody. I'm surprised. My battery don't last so long, maximum 1,5 day with sleep tracking (a must for me) in airplane mode and some workouts... What can I do?
1.5 days isn't to bad for length. How are you using sleep monitoring in airplane mode? Also if you want to improve your battery, you can turn off Hey Siri, reduce brightness/Haptic.

Stmarani

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2017
Milano, Italy
Also if you want to improve your battery, you can turn off Hey Siri, reduce brightness/Haptic.
Thanks, I set always airplane mode during the sleep and I turned off Hey Siri BUT NOT heart rate. For example, this night (it's 9 a.m, now in Italy ;-) ) for a sleep time of 7 hrs and something the drain was 22/23% using Sleep++: too much IMHO. May be because both Sleep++ and Heartwatch were active? I will try this night with only Heartwath if the sleep is detected...

DataOdyssey

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2016
London, UK
I pull my Rose Gold S2 off the charger at 4.00am every morning and pop it back on at 10.00pm just before I fall asleep. At the end of the day, I usually have about 72% displayed as I put it on the charger. I do have literally everything running on it, non-stop notifications and nothing disabled. I particularly use the health apps everyday to monitor my health. It could easily last 2 days before being recharged. I'm very impressed with the S2.

Reactions: jamin00

SoN1NjA

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2016
the pool
Those are good numbers for battery life. You can also disable 'Hey Siri', which will conserve battery life from the microphone listening for your voice.
thanks, just turned it off

Siri is so slow on the Apple Watch 1st Gen it's not even worth using
And then after you wait 5 seconds for it to be ready the question you ask it, it can't answer that question

WingNut33

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2017
Currently near Los Angeles
I'm new to the forums, so don't hold it against me if I ask a question that's been asked a lot already.

I'm looking at getting a Series 2 Nike+ watch and have been wondering about which size to get. I've heard the 38mm battery doesn't last as long as the 42mm. I really like the numbers you all are talking about, but nobody has mentioned which size you're wearing.

Could some of you specify if you're wearing a 38 or 42?

Thanks.

SoN1NjA

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2016
the pool
I'm new to the forums, so don't hold it against me if I ask a question that's been asked a lot already.

I'm looking at getting a Series 2 Nike+ watch and have been wondering about which size to get. I've heard the 38mm battery doesn't last as long as the 42mm. I really like the numbers you all are talking about, but nobody has mentioned which size you're wearing.

Could some of you specify if you're wearing a 38 or 42?

Thanks.
Most likely the 42, however the 38's battery life wouldn't be as much of a difference as you're most likely thinking

Would go on the size that fits or looks on you better, the battery life between the two isn't that signficant

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.