Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

junior

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2003
(now that i have a few more minutes)

the problem with this, in your singer-needs-to-warm-up scenario, is this:

let's say you like take 8 of verse 2 and take 1 of verse 1. further, let's say that over 8 takes, your singer is now singing 5 dB louder on average.

using a compressor, you're now compressing the entirety of verse 2 an average of 5 dB. that compression will impart a sound on the verse, and though your 2 verses may (or may not) be about the same volume, they're going to sound different.

ergo, you shouldn't be using a compressor to do that. what you should be doing is automating volume curves and raising the level of verse 1 5dB or so, so their levels and sound match. THEN you can put a compressor on the track to smooth some peaks, and it'll be doing about the same amount of work across both verses, which results in a closer match of sounds.

***Applauds Zimv20's patience***

junior

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2003
ok chill out.. go crash another thread...or better yet, use private messages

Listen to zimv20. He knows what he's talking about. Don't ever think of a compressor as some kind of a volume adjuster, as someone without much knowledge suggested to you. And I'm completely chilled out, thanks.

Bobbi Flekman

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2008
No. Are you?
I'm not the one dredging up things from 2 weeks ago, trying to get a rise out of someone. If you're part of zimv20's fanclub, enjoy. As both he and I said, there's no absolute law on how to do things. Music is experimenting. What works for him, works for him, and vice versa. The OP can make up his own mind about things.

And as far as your latest post, you know Jack about me, so don't make assumptions. ;)

Before this turns out to become a new slamfest I'll be ignoring your comments here...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.