My setup - Your experiences

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Slled, Mar 1, 2013.

1. Slled macrumors newbie

Hello All, I'm a long time lurker/reader but a seldom poster. However, I would really like some opinions from others with experience setting this type of thing up.

I have an iMac, Windows PC, and Windows laptop currently in my home. I also already own a fully functioning Synology NAS storing and serving up all of my files and documents to all the machines listed above. I want to add more though and I think I have it figured out in my head but I wanted feedback from those experienced.

I'd like to use Time Machine with my iMac. I already have everything I need as far as what I would consider must save/can't lose items on the Synolgy NAS. So I was thinking of grabbing a WD My Book Studio 2TB simply for Time Machine for the iMac. I consider this over a Time Capsule as I have no need for the router portion so why pay more for a Time Capsule?? I also believe it is best to have Time Machine running on it's own drive as opposed to having it store on the NAS that is storing all my manually save information??

I was also thinking I would buy a few external drives that I could use and maybe once a week hook them up to the NAS and back it up. The reason I was thinking of using 2 of them is so that 1 of them was always off-site, say in my desk at work. Or should I pay the yearly fee and go with an on-line cloud solution? Right now I have about 1TB of family photos and important documents like tax stuff sitting on the NAS.

This gives me a NAS/Server making everything accessible to all machines in the house. This backs up that NAS/Server in more than one place, in house and off-site. This ensures the most used machine, the iMac, is backed up with Time Machine. What do you guys think?

BTW, the Synology NAS is currently using RAID 1 mirroring.

2. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

If you have space available on the NAS I would have time machine backup to it. That way you don't have to worry about connecting the USB drive. Then your backups of the NAS wil also provide an offsite backup of your iMac.

Otherwise your plan sounds pretty good. I'm not of a fan of the time capsule. Too hard to upgrade the drive or to repair/replace. A NAS makes much more sense.

3. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Ditto this advice, this is how I do my backups.