My Shattered iPhone / American Express Insuring It.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by o98eclipse, Sep 1, 2007.

1. o98eclipse macrumors newbie

I just wanted to share my story to hopefully help any of you that experience this tragic day in my life. I've had my iPhone since the first day, June 29th, now she's dead, shattered... I placed my iPhone on a high chair, the high ones that the judges use in tennis. Don't know why I placed it there, but sure enough it fell, hard... shattering the glass. If I didn't have one of those invisible shields on it, the glass would have been in pieces.

Anyway, luckily, since I purchased my iPhone with my American Express card it is covered under the Purchase Protection Plan, which covers accidental damage and theft. So american express has saved me. I'm just scared to replace my iPhone and drop it again, I'm contemplating holding out and waiting for iPhone 2.0??? Not sure...

Hopefully this helps anyone in the future!!!

Attached Files:

2. beer.coffee macrumors member

:( Thats gotta hurt...

How does the American Express insurance work? Do you get a cash/credit handout, or do you purchase a new phone and provide a sales receipt?

3. mojohanna macrumors 6502a

mojohanna

What the hell did that thing hit on the way down?!!? Don't get me wrong, I am not doubting you. It just looks like an incredibly freak hit to make the screen shatter like that. It looks like it was compressed at the point of the origin of the shatter.

4. beer.coffee macrumors member

Yeah, that looks like it hit the edge of something, not the ground...

5. Scott982 macrumors member

Scott982

Gotta love that american express protection plan. It really helped me back in college when my powerbook was stolen.

6. WeeShoo macrumors regular

/cry

Sorry to hear and see that, I'm sure your heart just dropped when you watched it collide with the floor like a meteor hitting the face of the earth.

7. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

it still seems to work. so what's the problem?:D

btw: from the looks it seems somebody shot it. that would make a much better story.

8. o98eclipse thread starter macrumors newbie

Well it fell on it's side.. It fell from one of those high chairs that the judges use in tennis, so that is pretty high. I heard of stories about people dropping them from their sides and the screen shattering. Like I said, if it didn't have one of those invisible shields on it, the glass would be all over the place. It's the only thing keeping it together at this point. Like a car windshield.

As far as how the protection works, American Express covers items that are stolen/accidently damaged/lost within 90 days so long as you bought it with the AMEX card and you can provide a copy of the original receipt. They are crediting my account.

My big question now is... Should I get a new iPhone or should I just hold out for the next version????? Any suggestions??

9. TXCraig macrumors 6502a

TXCraig

They give you a credit for the amount on your credit card to purchase another one.

10. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

My question is: if you get a credit, what are you going to do with the broken one?

Does the screen still work? Want to sell it cheap? :)

I could do with a spare for hacking/wacking.

11. Kurt Hustle macrumors newbie

I had a similar prob with my phone...I also used AmEx to purchase it (AmEx Blue) now this protection...is it a service I had to be paying for monthly already or is it "built it" to the provisions of the card. I would love to not have to shell out another 600+ and I still have my receipt. Thanks in advance.

12. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Well, did you have to give AMEX the broken iPhone, or do you still have it?

If you still have it, you could probably take it back to the Apple Store, pay the $249 repair fee, and in a few days have either a repaired iPhone (if that's possible) or a replacement in your hands.

13. gceo macrumors 6502a

gceo

If you want a touch screen, you're going to have to learn to set your phone down in safe places. Period.

It's not the iPhone per say, it's the design. If that was a BB or Treo, it would still look like it was impaled during target practice. Seriously, what is this line you're feeding us... "I'm waiting for ver.2 or 3 or 4".... it's not the phone silly!!! Gravity hurts things.

I've dropped mine twice now. Hard. On solid concrete. One time it acted like it was a hockey puck. Still no scratches on my glass.

We've all seen the PCWorld video right?

Just how "high" was that chair?

14. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

While any phone's LCD can crack from a drop, adding a touch screen doesn't usually add to the danger. Most other touchscreens are plastic and don't shatter.

The difference with the iPhone is that at the last minute, they replaced the plastic front overlay with an optical glass one. On the one hand, this aborted the predictions of lots of screen scratches like with iPods. On the other, it meant you do have to be more careful. It's not tempered or shatter-proof glass.

Just watch all the other iPhone forums... there are more than a few people who've shattered the glass. And ended up with a $260 repair +$30 rental bill for doing so. There really needs to be a cottage industry that figures out how to replace just the front glass. But it looks like it's bonded to the touchscreen and LCD assembly.

15. o98eclipse thread starter macrumors newbie

The screen does still work, i have to hold on to the phone just in case they ask for me to turn the phone to AMEX.

It's built into every AMEX card, look for it on line, I believe it's called the Buyers Protection Plan. They also have a Return Plan, where if the merchant does not want to take it back they will pay for it. There are obviously rules to this.

The rep who helped me out said they may ask for it, so i have to hold onto it. Either way, i should have a new phone.

First off i never said anything about ver. 3 or 4. Second, I never blamed the phone. I know it's my fault. I simply posted this to benefit those who broke their phone and purchased it with an AMEX card to let them know they have options out there. The chair is probably about 7' - 8' high. Of course its going to shatter from that high. We've heard of the screens shattering from people just dropping it from 5 feet high.

16. propynyl macrumors regular

Come on, it's just a surface scratch...dont be such a baby!

17. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    I am not quite sure why you're questioning replacing your iPhone immediately. If I dropped mine (God forbid!) I would be right over at the Apple store replacing it as soon as I could, never mind waiting for v2, v3, whatever....

18. JGowan macrumors 68000

JGowan

Aren't you locked into a 2 year contract... that alone would put you at least $1440 into debt. It would be nice to be using a brand new phone (paid for AmEx no less) while paying that monthly $60. Very interesting decision to wait for v2 or v3. Not the one I would make.

19. kbrain2929 macrumors regular

kbrain2929

Ohhh! THAT HURTS ME TO LOOK @ ! :( :apple:

20. javaGuru macrumors 6502a

javaGuru

dang! what were you doing? Playing baseball with it? :) That's good to heat that Amex will be insuring it.

21. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

22. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

Yeah, for me too. I won one of those $1000 Mastercard Gift Cards from the "Ultimate Search for Bourne" game back in July/early August, and I am planning on getting an iPhone with the winnings when they arrive in the next couple of weeks. I like the rewards on my AMEX card, though, so I thought I would just buy a $1000 money order or something and deposit it into my bank account, put the iPhone on the AMEX, and then pay the bill with the money... I can use the rest to earn interest for myself instead of MasterCard, heh. I will definitely do this now that I know about the buyer's protection.

Thanks, man!

23. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

24. ChandlerXJ macrumors member

I wonder what happens if you paid 300 in cash and 299 on amex? that's what I did...

25. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

1. Good job on getting it replaced or being eligible for such replacement. That is good news and why Amex rocks.

2. Questioning if you should wait for v2.0 because you fear dropping it seems silly at best. If you are concerned that you will drop your phone again and therefore you feel you should wait for v2.0 then I say either you shouldn't have such a phone and do you think v2.0 won't be capable of a fall from your hands or a tennis chair? Just a thought as waiting for an updated phone has no direct correlation on your inability to keep it from falling.