My Shopping List for next week....Macbook Pro 17" +

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by late show, Jan 14, 2009.

1. late show macrumors member

Getting a whole new set up when the Macbook Pro 17" arrives at the apple store in the next few weeks...

Please check this list to see I am missing anything or should wait for the next revision or leave out all together...

1.MacBook Pro, 17-inch, Aluminium
    2.93GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    *4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB
    *320GB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200 rpm
    Apple Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter
    Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter

*Going to upgrade the HD to SSD and memory to 8gb when prices come down.

2. Apple LED Cinema Display (24" flat panel) I HAVE ALWAYS WANTED THE 30" but it is not available as LED, and when it is available it most likely will be made for the mac pro? (no speakers, mag power cable etc)

3. AppleCare Protection Plan for MacBook Pro (w/or w/o Display)

4. Time Capsule - 500 GB
    5. AirPort Express Base Station with 802.11n and AirTunes

6. Podium Cool Pad

I do my work at a sit/stand desk I am currently using some phonebooks to rise my current 17" monitor and laptop up another 5".

2. apersianboyCOM macrumors 6502

Sounds like a great setup.

I'm also getting the 17" and;
    Harman Kardon soundsticks II
    Apple Mighty mouse wireless

3. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Get Apple care in a years time from Ebay and it will cost you 1/4 of the price.

The Time Capsule and the Airport Express Base Station do the same thing. They are both 802.11n wireless routers) so just get the time capsule.

You wont need the coolpad with the 17" unibody (the unibody's dont get as hot as the old Pro's)

4. tubbymac macrumors 65816

tubbymac

Not sure why you would need any of those two adapters if you're going to be getting the Apple monitor. It plugs straight into the mini displayport of the MBP.

5. stevo8 macrumors 6502

6. late show thread starter macrumors member

I need to have airtunes, so I guess im out $99 for the express that will sit right next to the TC:mad:

My old TV has s-video in so I need the adapter VGA + VGA to s-video, I guess I don't need the DVI.

As I will be this time next year...:apple:

7. BG-Mac macrumors 6502

Great setup. Any idea when they'll start showing up in stores?

8. late show thread starter macrumors member

My local store says a few weeks...so Im guessing by Feb 1, the online store seems to have a longer lead time...

9. dannomac macrumors member

Or you could just get a Airport Extreme and an external USB 1TB hard drive. If you assemble it yourself it's only about $200CAD

10. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

The Cool Pad looks very LAME, I wouldn't spend that much no the mbp and then get that.

Look into the mStand by Rain Designs

11. pyrodex macrumors 6502

pyrodex

1) AEBS - ORDERED
    2) 1.5TB Drive to attach to AEBS - Waiting until MBP comes in
    3) 1.5TB Drive to do SuperDuper Clones and other various storage (have a quad interface enclosure already for this) - Waiting until MBP comes in
    4) 500GB Carry along drive, looking at OWC clear see through with FW800 - Waiting until MBP comes in
    5) Booq Python Pro - ORDERED, LOVE IT. So freaking big with plenty of space.
    6) VX Nano - Debating on this still.
    7) 500GB 7200RPM internal drive - WAITING...

12. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Thats what i was trying to say, the time capsule will work with airtunes, all it is, is a wireless router with a hard drive attached.

Get the airport extreme + your own cheap external hard drive.

13. late show thread starter macrumors member

? not really sure how to configure the above, I will research it when Im set up I already have 2 owc 500GB drives, can your rig work with TC?

To clairify my current set up, I have all my music on my laptop and use itunes or airfoil to stream wirelessly to my express which then with its line out goes into my stereo...

Attached Files:

14. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

OK basically your Airport express has a hole on the bottom called a USB port. Plug your external hard drive into this USB port and your good to go. The computer will recognise the external hard drive like a normal external hard drive and you'll be able to save data on it etc and use it for backups with Time Machine.

You can plug two hard drives in if you want using a USB hub. You could even have 4 hard drives, two printers, etc etc

basically if you buy the Time Capsule your wasting your money.

15. lozanoj83 macrumors 6502a

lozanoj83

I have an Airport Express and cant connect USB hard drives to it...

16. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

17. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

18. late show thread starter macrumors member

Hello,

Thanks for the picture..I hope when I get a faster computer...I can whip that up just as fast as you did ( Im still waiting for photoshop to open)...

I was under the impression the express was crippled and external drives could not be hooked up via USB, the USB port on the express was for a printers only (I need also to hook my printer up wirelessly BTW).

As far as know no matter what the express is the only wireless router that has an AUDIO OUT (mini plug)

19. lozanoj83 macrumors 6502a

lozanoj83

yes you can plug it in but it will do nothing will it. It does not have AirDisk so it will not show up or mount on your desktop. Only the Airport Extreme or Time Capsule can do this.
    You could only plug in USB Printers, thats what I have plugged in right now.
    How do I know?
    I owned an Airport Extreme and currently own a Express

20. dannomac macrumors member

Yes, the USB port is for printers. If you hook a USB hard drive up to it it doesn't get recognised. I own one, I got it for Airtunes and extending my wireless network, but I was curious and it doesn't work.

21. Gloor macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't recommend the time capsule. I bought one few months ago and had troubles syncing my mac pro. It often freezed my computer for few minutes or hours and i was forced to do hard restart. I exchanged 3 of them and they all had the same problem. I searched the internet and other people had similar issue so I gave up and bought airport extreme and external disk which I plugged to usb slot and it works like a charm. :)))

Apple may have fixed it in the last patch so you might be fine but I wouldn't risk it. It cost me time, money (fuel, parking etc.) and it is just not worth it for me so take that into consideration too. :)))

Anyway, I'll be buying mbp 17" soon too. Ill probably have very similar setup :)))

22. late show thread starter macrumors member

Wow! Ok, so I will not get the TC and instead get the airport extreme and hook my external drives to it,....I don't like all in one units anyway..... will Time Machine be able to back up wirelessly via the extreme to the external drives? just like TC? Thats pretty key, I need TM to back up to whatever wirelessly.

Thanks again everyone for this information..so far I am saving a lot of money to put in my SSD/Memory piggy bank.

23. lozanoj83 macrumors 6502a

lozanoj83

You can but I returned my AEBS for this same reason. Whenever I was backing up over a long period of time it would stop and not back up anymore, giving me errors and restarting the AEBS.

24. late show thread starter macrumors member

On second thought Im going to get the TC 500+ express, it looks like both the extreme and TC both have issues in terms of wireless backing up.

Knowing apple, hopefully they will release future firmware updates for the TC to fix wireless back up issues, since that device is made specifically for that.

plus for the extra $120 you get the 500GB hard drive and still can use externals for redundancy.

of course TC is over a year old (see inner workings below) and still doesn't have firewire 800 or eSata

Attached Files: