my sidebar disappeared! wtf

Discussion in 'macOS' started by bored911, Aug 28, 2008.

1. bored911 macrumors 6502

bored911

so i opened macintosh hd, to find the format had changed, with the usual side panel containing highly used shortcuts (such as apps, picture other types of folders) had disappeared. I can't figure out how to get it back. any ideas?

2. MM07 macrumors 6502a

Try going to Finder, then Prefs, then Sidebar. You can then select what you want there.

3. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Do you have all the items in this screen unchecked? This is from Finder pref ...

Attached Files:

4. macbookairman macrumors 6502a

to get it back, click the gray oval shape above finder search. (as shown in attached picture)

Attached Files:

5. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I must be tired, I can't believe I missed one so simple.

6. darklyt macrumors regular

Yes, but your tiredness showed me something that I've been wanting for months now. Somehow it was set so that every time i opened a new folder, it would open in a new window, but I wanted it to just open in the same (things get cluttered pretty quickly). I checked System Preferences thinking that it would be the only place that things related to the Finder would be located. Once I didn't find it there, I realized that Finder Preferences was in a completely separate location. Combining my laziness about vigorously looking for a solution, along with the assumption that Apple would put those options in System Preferences lead tomy pet peeve persisting for a really long time now. Thanks for being tired!

Apple really should put those preferences in System Preferences... Maybe under User or something...

Thanks again!

7. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

But since Finder is another app, it does make sense that it has it's own preferences.

8. bored911 thread starter macrumors 6502

bored911

9. darklyt macrumors regular

True, but I would have expected that since the entire foundation navigating the operating system (for the majority of users anyway) is Finder, it would make sense to put the preferences for this in the System Preferences. Wouldn't hurt to have that in there since they have stuff like Time Machine in there and Quicktime. Comes across as un-Apple-like (to a life-time user). Oh well, thanks again!