My signature: A-OK?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by ravenvii, Nov 27, 2007.

1. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I never see anyone here with political signatures, so I'm uncertain if it's considered all right around here. If it's not, I'll change my signature right away.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

It's probably ok, but Ron Paul?
    Ok I'm kidding, I'm sure Ron Paul is a good people, I mean he was great when he was a drag queen.

3. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Personally I would rather the less the better. I don't think there is any written rule against it but be ready to get flack from those that might not agree with you.

I would suggest but I think all sigs should be that size.

4. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Seems fine to me, but I'm just a lowly mod, so I reserve the right for an admin to overrule me. ;)

FYI: Private issues like this should generally be handled via the Contact Us form.

5. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

As an administrator, I hereby overrule WildCowboy's claim that he's a lowly moderator. He's a highly regarded moderator! :cool:

Political signatures are OK under the rules, as long as they meet the other requirements for signatures: that they be within the size limits, that they not be too distracting or too provocative, and that they conform to the general rules against name-calling, profanity, etc.

Unlike posts, which must be in the correct forum, signatures can contain political statements or links to your website, blog, or business. No links to pyramid schemes, however.

By keeping signatures small and undistracting (and not allowing images in them, as some forum sites do), we make it fairly easy for people to either read them or ignore them. Members can also set their options to they don't see signatures at all, which can be handy when strong opinions are rampant and feelings are intense. I suppose that includes election season, but I'm of course referring to the NCAA basketball tournament! :)

Members can use their user profile to display a list of their Apple equipment. If they prefer to have it in their signature, then rather than seeing signatures like this:
    Power Mac
    Cinema display
    keyboard
    mouse
    power cord​
    we prefer that they be like this:
    Power Mac - Cinema display - keyboard - mouse - power cord​

Also, as another way to minimize the height of signatures, we ask that there be no blank lines in signatures. That's the only change we'd like you to make, ravenvii.

6. ravenvii thread starter macrumors 604

ravenvii

I figured I'd post this for clarification and as a reference point, as elections are coming up, and there are probably others who has (or will have) a similar question.

Done.

Thanks!

7. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

Personally I think it's a bad idea. Other than the forum reserved for it, overt political statements should be avoided IMO. It could lead to unnecessary bad feelings between those of a more fiery political nature. In addition, there are, believe it or not, people not from the US here who do not want American politics stuffed down our throats There's enough Obama and Clinton in the newsfeeds every day. It could also lead to labelling: "Oh there's that Leftie/Nazi posting again."

If you allow political signatures then religious ones should be OK, too. Can you imagine the amount of blood...? "Join Islam! Recruiting today. http://www...."

My couple of yen.

8. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

At least it isn't the type of political comment that would be hard to ignore like

"Vote Bush/Cheney 2008, and vote for Martial Law."

As long as the signature doesn't start thread crapping, it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

9. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

Well...I have never heard of Ron Paul so yea, your sig is fine :p

10. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Most people won't care.

I'm a regular poster in the Political threads, not a big fan of Paul (though he at least seems genuine enough, I'll give him that) and I don't care, but that's just me.

11. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

I believe almost any signature is fine as long as it isn't written in comic sans, the font of evil itself. :rolleyes:

12. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

bigandy, you have a very evil signature yourself. I can't read it at all, even if I use the secret control-option-command-8 trick.

13. runplaysleeprun macrumors 6502a

runplaysleeprun

It seems your sig has been given the stamp of approval, ravenvii, but I'll have to note that the arrow in your 'tar points the wrong way!

14. ravenvii thread starter macrumors 604

ravenvii

Yes, that's kinda the point...

You're it's first (express) victim... :D

15. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

mwahahahahahaha :D

16. iJesus macrumors 6502a

iJesus