My silent switch doesn't work/shorted on my 3G-- Any advice/experience with this?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wishman35, Jun 11, 2010.

1. wishman35 macrumors regular

A few months ago on my 3G, I tried switching my silent switch over and it wouldn't stay silent. The switch does go fully to the left side, but it doesn't do the typical vibrate and show the silent graphic on the phone. BUT if I ever so slightly nudge it to the left it does go to silent but there is no way to keep it in place.

It is almost as if there is something in the way or maybe there is a short?

My warranty is no longer valid, but the phone is in perfect condition, has been cased. It makes no sense.

Anybody have any advice, because I would like to sell the phone soon but obviously do not want to sell it without the silent working. I guess I could go to a cell phone repair shop but they charge a $30 diagnosis fee and then apply that to the repair. I do not want to get screwed.

Anybody have ANY advice or experience with the switch conking out on them. Any home remedies?

2. Ctt713 macrumors member

Mine did the same thing but it was under warranty. It wouldn't hurt to call Apple up and see if they will fix it for you.

3. fastblack macrumors regular

Make an appointment with the apple store to look at it. I did with my 10 month out of warranty 3g, and they swapped it because it had a crack in the plastic and dust under the screen, then that ones mute button ended up doing what yours is doing, so I took that back, and they gave me another one.

4. ldkaplan macrumors regular

ldkaplan

I have a similar issue. It switches between not working and constant vibration.

I took a can of air and blew it out. that seems to have solved the issue.

I need to order a new LCD and plan on giving the components a thorough cleaning when I replace that. I know there is pocket link all throughout my phone.

5. wishman35 thread starter macrumors regular

I did bring the phone there a month ago and they told me that since it was out of warranty all they could do was charge the standard $200 to replace it or whatever.

They are so unhelpful usually.

6. fastblack macrumors regular

That sucks. At my local store they have been nothing but helpful, surprisingly so infact. I wasn't expecting them to swap my iPhone after 10 months of no warranty, and they did, twice. I was really just hoping there was a way to get rid of the dust under the screen. I guess it just depends who you get. I think I'm on my 5th phone lol, first 3 being in warranty. It's going to make it pretty easy to sell in 2 weeks since its in brand new condition.

7. wishman35 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah I need to figure out a cheap way to take care of this if possible