My Silly Dream Job

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iBreatheApple, Feb 2, 2014.

1. iBreatheApple, Feb 2, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2014

iBreatheApple macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

When you tell people you want to be a nurse, it's nothing out of the ordinary. When you tell people you want to work for Apple, they wish you success; nothing out of the ordinary. But when you tell people you want to nurse for Apple, they find it silly and it often yields a "what kind of dream job is that?" type response.

Firstly, I've never heard or seen of any medical related careers at Apple, but surely they have a campus clinic, no? I've only just turned 22 and have earned a Business AA and BAS in Healthcare Management. Now I've began nursing and will have my second bachelor's (BSN) within 2 years.

Obviously Apple won't be hiring new nurses (if this field is even an opportunity), but I'm currently working for a trauma center and may have the rare opportunity to begin nursing in the ED as soon as I graduate and pass boards. Hopefully this will help me obtain a "higher level" RN job quicker (based on perception, not time). What I mean is that I could work on the floor as an RN for two years and then move to the ER for a year, or work ER for only 2 years and (in my opinion) the perception on experience wouldn't really differ. That's not to say that two years of experience is much at all, as a nurse you're always learning. And I'd imagine that to work for a company like Apple my history and experience will need to go quite a bit beyond a mere two years.

I digress...

Silly as it may sound, I have a sincere passion for both Apple and medicine, so this is currently my dream job. Does anyone know if this type of job opportunity is available at Apple? And what are your thoughts?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think you may be hard pressed to find any sort of medical departments in a technology company. I remember back in the day when I worked for an engineering company they had a nurse on staff, but I think those days are long gone and no company has a nurse. Other then schools and medical facilities.

3. iBreatheApple thread starter macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

I've not done extensive research, but isn't the main Apple campus quite large? I would be astounded (and quite disappointed) if they didn't have some type of employee health division or a campus clinic of sort.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

They might, so all I can offer for advice is to search their job openings.

Most of the campus is offices, so in the event of a medical emergency they will do what most people would do, dial 911. I'm not saying they don't have one, but I am saying most companies don't see a need.

5. malman89, Feb 2, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2014

malman89 macrumors 68000

If they do, I think it'd be more likely it was an outside company hired to staff said location on campus rather than Apple bothering to have its own medical staff, but perhaps I'm wrong.

Edit: Or a thought is if they have in-house staff, it's such a niche (compared to their typical hiring needs) that they use experienced external medical recruiters. You'd still think they'd list the option on their site, but *shrug*.

6. palmerc2 macrumors 65816

palmerc2

Does seem kinda odd, but hey, the sky's the limit. Maybe you can end up being the personal nurse for the execs!

7. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Well, it is certainly an original aspiration, as far as I know at least. I say go for it. No idea how you'd start though.

8. danny_w macrumors 601

I don't know about Apple but I know that Dell has nursing staff and clinics wholly owned by Dell, so I would expect Apple might well also. I say call them and see, it couldn't hurt.

9. iBreatheApple thread starter macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

Thanks! Yeah google searching definitely yields no results so this is my next best option. I wonder if a direct HR line is available on the net...