My sister's puppy needs surgery....

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by tkepongo, Aug 20, 2008.

1. tkepongo macrumors regular

tkepongo

My sister called and asked for money to pay for her puppy's heart surgery. It'll cost between $2000 to $3000. I only earn $8 an hour. I'm a college student and that is alot of money. The only problem about putting that dog to sleep is that he's not in pain or anything, and MY dog would be really depressed. What do you guys think she should do?

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Is your sister younger or older than you? Does she have a full time job? Also, what about your parents?
    Will this surgery completely cure the dog, or will in need continual treatment after that costing even more?

If you are a student and only make $8 an hour it seems to me that you don't have thousands of dollars to give to your sister.

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

If it is a puppy, while you might really want to pay now ... if it isn't a 100% cure, then the cost over the next 10-15 years can really be big.

Bad enough to see the costs to extend a senior dogs life a year or two.

But to be hit while the dog is a puppy. :eek:

4. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Why in Hell would your dog be depressed???

She is asking too much, IMO.

5. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

its just a dog. put it to sleep and get a new one

or just let him be but there is NO way i would pay that kind of cash for a dog, esp if i was strapped for cash

6. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

7. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

I'm sorry but your first comment is incredibly insensitive...

To the OP, I would suggest your sister save up her money as best she can, maybe you could get some kind of puppy drive? get your local community to help you out or something.

Her calling you up and asking for the money is a bit out of line, the dog is her responsibility, and as a result, she shouldn't be contacting you for the money, there are plenty of options for her to raise the money.

She could put it up for adoption, the RSPCA (in the UK) takes in animals that cannot be cared for, instead of just putting them down, I'm sure there is equivalent service where you are.

8. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

Unless the dog were very valuable breed, I would say, regretfully, to put the dog down. It's not realistic to spend that kind of money on a puppy. No logic to it. Sorry. :apple:

9. pscoble macrumors 6502

Well... that's.. humane. I suppose I see the logic behind it but it seems wrong none the less.

Although I do believe that she should be paying for most of the cost as it is her dog. If you have some emotional feelings/know that your dog would be upset if the dog were gone (however, unless they have been together for a long time or are siblings I doubt it would be too hard for your dog) for the dog it's ok for you to chip in if you feel that it's necessary but sticking the hole cost on you isn't a good thing for her to do.

10. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

The breeder may be stuck with the state's puppy lemon law ... she may be able to get another dog or a refund if she bought from a breeder or pet shop.

11. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Maybe it's different for you, but my dog isn't just a dog. She's a member of our family, and to be honest, when she dies, I'll be more upset than I would be if some other members of my family die.

12. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

I think putting a dog to sleep is very inhumane if there's a way to save it. You have to have a dog to know how attached you and the dog get. It's your sister's dog, so it's her responsibility, and she should be the one paying. Maybe if she called asking for $3k to save her dog ten years from now you could help her pay, but since you're only in college, she should pay for the surgery.

13. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

unfortunate, yes i agree. practical to spend that money on a dog when you are having a hard time getting by yourself? heck no

i love my dogs too and know how attached people can get to them

but it is JUST a dog and it is NOT worth getting into financial ruin over

i swear, most people here are "city folk" and dont realize that animals are slaughtered for food daily

have you ever lived on a farm? ever raised livestock to compete at the fair and then they get sold off? most of the time to the slaughterhouse?

i personally would not operate on the dog

14. tkepongo thread starter macrumors regular

tkepongo

My sister just quit her job because she is leaving for college in two days. My 22 year old brother called and literally said "I know you have money so give us some". I just hung up the phone. I don't want to be inhumane, but I can't put my education on the line for a puppy's life.

My parents won't help out at all. They don't make that much money and they see it as "just a dog".

15. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

dont. i wouldnt even think twice about it. it is not worth getting into financial trouble

16. shecky Guest

shecky

i agree with this.

if it is your sister's dog then it is your sister's problem. time for her to grow up.

17. TSE macrumors 68030

Yea, definitely don't if your brother acted liked that, and even then it is not your responsibility.

If your sister and brother get mad at you and never talk to you again for this, why would you want to talk to them anyways?

18. sn00pie macrumors 6502a

sn00pie

It's a hard decision but what I learned from my first dog was that when its time to say goodbye you can spend hundreds on scans and thousands on surgeries but the dog usually is never the same after.

I ended up spending hundreds on my dog, but he was still in pain, so I had no choice but to put him to sleep.

Money isn't a big deal because your dealing with the life of a living animal, its just the fact that the odds of everything being 100% after aren't very high. So why put the poor thing through so much pain?

From your situation, your not in a situation to be lending others thousands for puppy's heart surgery. The best thing for you to do is probably throw in like $500 at the most. You have your own expenses and things to take care of.

19. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Your sister and brother shouldn't have put you in this situation, in my opinion, and I think it's very unfortunate that they've chosen to handle the situation so poorly.

Are they willing to see reason in this issue? Also, did they ask for the money with intentions to pay you back (and if so, are they reliable)?

20. tkepongo thread starter macrumors regular

tkepongo

They're just as dirt poor as I am. I just have money now because I work full time during the summer. I don't expect them to be able to pay me back. So it's more of a donation rather than a loan.

21. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

22. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed, and it isn't inhumane. I would offer them a small amount to help out, say $100 or so, but nothing more.

23. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Are there any charitable animal hospitals in the area? Have they looked into that?

24. MasterNile macrumors 65816

MasterNile

Too many people view animals as family members just because they're domesticated, I for one watch the dog whisperer very often (probably too often because my wife likes it so much) but I do agree that they are just animals, and a lot of them are not balanced because people try to give them human traits, as far as your dog being sad if your sister's dog dies...dog packs see deaths all the time and move on. As far as you paying for it, I dropped out of college because I didn't have enough money to get back and forth and have regretted it more and more since (I was young and dumb), when there are so many other dogs out there that are healthy and need a home why would you risk your education for this one? Perhaps some will view that as cruel and insensitive, but I am a realist, seems to me you don't have the means to help her anyway and sometimes no matter how much you want to help someone you can't. Tell her if she wants to pay for it so bad there are plenty of places that offer loans.