My Situation:

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Epic Xbox Revie, May 21, 2011.

1. Epic Xbox Revie, May 21, 2011
    Last edited: May 21, 2011

Epic Xbox Revie macrumors 6502a

Epic Xbox Revie

Here it is:
    I have a Verizon iPhone(16Gb), an iPad 2 (16Gb Wifi), and an iMac (3.06Hz, 4GB RAM,500GB HDD, late 2009).

I am going to college this fall and I plan on selling my iMac to my brother because he will still be at home. What laptop would be the best for me to purchase? The 17" MBP seems gigantic, then regular MacBook is old and outdated.. I am looking for a computer that will be extremely productive over two years, when, I will upgrade it to the newer model. I am going to college for computer engineering. I also assume I will be using BootCamp/ Parallels for Windows 7. Thoughts on what laptop I should buy?

All MBP's meet my university's computer requirements, MBA does with the external superdrive.
    I am trying to stay under $2000. I need at least 200GB for my Hard Drive.

Thanks.

2. jroller macrumors regular

I'd say a 15" Macbook Pro is the best choice; the power you need without getting more than you want. And frankly, if this is a two-year purchase, I would buy a refurb and save a bit.

3. kalsta macrumors 68000

kalsta

If you have the money, I reckon it's hard to go past the 15-inch, 2.2 GHz MacBook Pro. In fact, I couldn't go past it and recently bought one myself! Blazingly fast machine. I upgraded to a solid state drive for the extra speed.

I agree with you that 17 inches is too much laptop. When I'm at work I plug into a 30 inch display, but when I'm mobile 15 inches is a good compromise between screen size and mobility.

4. Epic Xbox Revie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Epic Xbox Revie

@jroller - why?

Also, I really want to upgrade to the high resolution screen if I'm getting a 15"... Also, trying to keep this purchase under $2000.

5. jroller macrumors regular

I've never even wanted the 17 for the same reason you mention: it's too big. I like the size and portability of the 15. There is enough screen space for me (I am a yearbook adviser at a high school and use Photoshop and InDesign regularly). I think the 13 or 11 would be too small and the 17 too unwieldy. 15 is the right size for me.

Now, you're making a purchase for only a two year period, you said. Then this is not a computer you should drop a lot of cash on. You want the power of the MBPro for your work, but don't need to spend more than necessary on a machine you have no long term future with.

The refurbs are your best choice, I'd say. One, I wouldn't (and haven't) hesitate to buy one. They are all good machines and if there was actually anything wrong with the computer originally, you know it has been repaired already. It has the exact same warranty coverage. Yet, you can save money on the purchase. In my experience, the refubs have proven to be a good choice.

6. Epic Xbox Revie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Epic Xbox Revie

-Thanks
    I'm going to visit a store today to check them out in person.:cool:

7. aramosc macrumors regular

aramosc

I agree. you can find a great deal on craigslist or just regular refurb.. even the 13" would do the job.. the new generation is very powerful.

8. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

I would suggest a 15inch MBP too...and wait till next week so you can get the free ipod touch and a printer with it...and then sell the ipod and the printer to bring down the cost :cool:

9. Epic Xbox Revie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Epic Xbox Revie

Got back from the store (the iPads were overwhelming!!- but awesome) I really prefer the 13" MBP. Still unsure whether I need a lower end model or upper of the 13". 4GB of RAM or 8? HDD or SSD?

10. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

I would purchase the next-gen MBA in 13" and a Dell IPS display for $400 that stays in your room.