my situation....

Discussion in 'iPod' started by nlivo, Jul 19, 2007.

1. nlivo macrumors 6502a

i have a small music library (8 GB) and a big video library (260 GB)...and this is all stored on a 300 GB external hard drive (i have set it up so if i put something in iTunes it goes straight to the external HD).....i am eventually going to have to get another external HD because my library will just get bigger but.....i don't like the fact that all my content is on this external HD and if this somehow crashes and dies i loose everything and i know i would probably cry if this happened (not joking).....so i would like to buy another external HD to be able to back-up my current amount and also be able to hold another 100 GB or so.....what do you guys reckon??? what would be the best set-up??? i was thinking something like a 1 TB HD and back-up my current 300 GB external onto it and then set it so new iTunes stuff goes onto that now.......any suggestions would be great....

2. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

Do you not mind losing the new stuff, as that would only be on the 1TB drive?

If you're super worried about data loss, the ultimate solution would be some kind of mirror RAID system (forgive me, I don't know a ton about it), where there are two identical drives that are written to automatically...so you don't have to worry about backing up manually, or using a program or anything. I'm pretty sure you can get these drives in an external enclosure.

Someone will, of course, correct me if I'm wrong.

3. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

I don't know the exact name or what brand is best but there are external RAID solutions. You could get say a TB drive that has 2 500GBs inside and set it so that when you write something to one it is automatically written to both. They're not unreasonably expensive and the prices are only coming down. If you're willing to make your own try Newegg for parts