My situation....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by siratherock, Jun 14, 2009.

1. siratherock macrumors newbie

Hi, I am planing to upgrade my iphone 2g to 3gs this Friday. However, the account name is under my dad's name and his bank account. He is out of the country right now. My question is, do I have to show them any identification when I go buy the new iphone either by in store or online order? If I buy the 3gs through upgrading in my ATT account, do I have to show them any identifications? Or by ordering it through ATT account is identification, and I can just go pick up the iphone at the store? Also, is it to late now to pre-order and get it by the 19th? Thanks for your help.

2. Maclver macrumors 68020

Maclver

you have to show ID when purchasing or picking up

3. siratherock thread starter macrumors newbie

What about if I ordered it to ship to my house?

4. Maclver macrumors 68020

Maclver

UPS or FEDex might ask for ID to verify the package but I have never had them ask.. so you should be fine

5. TheMBC macrumors 6502

Can you sign into his account? Can't you add yourself as a verified person to make purchases and then somehow pay for it yourself?

6. bobsentell macrumors 6502a

bobsentell

If you haven't ordered it already, then I doubt you would get it by friday.

If you are on your dad's account, then you are either under 18 or have no credit. But if you are neither, then just open an account under your own name.

7. Maclver macrumors 68020

Maclver

or call att and act like your dad and add yourself to the account.. you just need the last four of his social......(but i would ask our dad first!)

8. kelpi macrumors regular

kelpi

The account holder needs to call AT&T Customer Care and add you as a Retail Authorized User. As for when you are visiting the store, you'll need to present ID that verifies you are a RAU.

9. TheMBC macrumors 6502

Yes, but you can also do it through AT&T's website or like the person said above, just call and say you're actually him but make sure you have the last 4 digits of his social.

10. bobsentell macrumors 6502a

bobsentell

Using your dad's ID to get a phone without his permission is still considered identity theft, and can be classified as criminal fraud. No one needs to be condoning this.

11. TheMBC macrumors 6502

Who said it has to be without permission from his father? How would he otherwise get his father's social?

12. siratherock thread starter macrumors newbie

First of all, thank you for the advice. I did add my name to his ATT account (AUTHORIZED USERS - RETAIL STORE)
    However, it only asked for my name not my social security number. Is this it? So I just have to show up with my ID that has my name on it and my SSN?

13. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

have your dad add you to the account, so you're authorized to do things like this(pretty sure you can do that online)

14. bobsentell macrumors 6502a

bobsentell

If you are an authorized user, then there is no problem.

As an aside, I had my dad's SSN when I was 12...it's not like it's not on every government ID or form.

15. TheMBC macrumors 6502

You're welcome. Yes, you should be fine now. I'm sure you have an ID of yourself. If you have no means of buying with credit or something of the sort, I know you can buy it at the Apple Store with a gift card, so pay cash for the gift card and pay it that way. That's how I got mine last year.

EDIT: Just realized you're preordering. Whoops.

16. computermilk macrumors 6502

Here is the million dollar question...

Have you bought it yet?

IF NOT, don't pre order it from ATT and have it shipped to an ATT store, you won't get it.

Youve got 2 choices, buy from Apple.com and have it shipped home, or a store, or go stand in line at an ATT store with NO pre order.

If you buy it online from Apple.com (your situation) would make this easy to do if you know your dad's ATT account information to login to the website, you could then do it online with NO ID or anything. When it's shipped to your house ANYONE can sign for it. you don't need to be there, it's just like a normal package.

17. vipergts2207 macrumors 65816

vipergts2207

I ordered mine on Apple's site today and it still says "delivers by the 19th."