My SL gripes....

Discussion in 'macOS' started by loft3, Aug 28, 2009.

1. loft3 macrumors regular

LAME:

Stacks:

I have 64 apps in my Applications folder. Under Leopard, I clicked the Application folder in the dock and I saw all 64. It made launching any app just two clicks away. Under Snow Leopard, the icons in Stacks are much larger, so now I have to scroll down to see the last 32 apps. It's actually harder to access now. There are no options to adjust the size of icons in stacks.

Quicktime X

There are no preferences of any kind. You can no longer set the option of having a movie play as soon as you open it. You must always press play now.

Not fully compatible:

Flip4Mac
    Growl
    Safari AdBlock - must run Safari in 32bit for it to work.

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Because Microsoft does things so much better.

The final three things mentioned are not Apple's fault.

3. loft3 thread starter macrumors regular

Easy dude. I didn't even mention Microsoft. And of course the last three things aren't Apple's fault. I'm just posting my grips.

Chill.

4. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

I never understand why people use stacks for long lists of things? Whats wrong with using spotlight or installing Quicksilver. Surely it quicker to use spotlight?

I guess I just don't like doing things with my mouse.

Stacks works perfectly for things like documents and downloads due to the relatively small number of folders/ files.

5. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

Where did he say anything about Microsoft whatsoever?

6. devburke Guest

Energy Saver profiles are gone! I used these all the time watching online tv shows and stuff to quickly switch to "Custom" to prevent the screen saver from kicking in.

7. zerolight macrumors 6502

zerolight

8. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

While I use Spotlight daily, even you have to agree it's not useful unless you KNOW what application you need to launch and the exact name of it and you have to type it in (well partially). Sometimes people need to do certain tasks and need to go through their apps to see which one works best.
    I don't get the Microsoft thing either. Sounds like a troll.

9. zerolight macrumors 6502

zerolight

Screensaver won't kick in if ur in full screen view.

10. Switz213 macrumors 6502

Energy saver prefs has been gone for a few updates. I don't know why they removed it. I was really angry. :(

11. jedijoe macrumors 6502

jedijoe

Try Caffeine.app .. its super simple, quicker than going to the system prefs and works 100% with 10.6 :)

12. wallaby macrumors 6502

wallaby

Oooh. Growl and Flip4Mac are dealbreakers for me until they get an update.

13. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

When you've got a lot of items in any given Stacks folder, don't you find that it's a lot more practical to set it to List view? My Applications folder (which contains 80+ apps) works superbly in List view.

A major plus is that List shows everything in logical alphabetical order in one column, rather than the 6 you get with Grid view.

14. j-a-x macrumors 65816

j-a-x

Growl seems to work for me. What sort of problems with Growl have you noticed? Did not notice there were any problems with Flip4Mac either.

15. CTJoyce macrumors member

My official list, and as a System admin, its making me seriously consider switching back.

- Admin tools are black listed (Apple's response when I called them "Uhhhh yea there is gonna be an update for that eventually, however we really don't have any info.")

- Unable to backup to SMB shares over time machine (Not supposed to be supported anyway, but worked so well in 10.5).

- Parallels / Flip4Mac don't work 100% even in the most updated versions (Huge issue for one of the businesses I support)

- Base10 used for data storage instead of Base2 (As of now haven't found any real reasons to hate on it, however I'm sure in the next couple weeks I'm going to face some).

- Wireless issues (Personally haven't had any, however just got done working with a friend to get his wireless stable with his Linksys, we ended up having to install DD-WRT on it so I could fine tune the settings enough to get it to play nice with the mac).

- Lost support for Older adobe products (Illustrator CS3 is so much better then CS4 and I am not happy to be upgrading).

- Microsoft Auto update doesn't work (Manually had to install all patches for Office 08 because it continuously told me that my fresh install was completely up to date.).

- 4 finger Multitouch gestures are buggy as hell (expose just doesn't want to play nicely 90% of the time)

- RealVNC becomes choppy after a while

Overall I have to say that for a .0 release its not a bad first attempt, however there are certain things that don't work that I really can't live my life without. (I mean yes, technically I could actually go visit my servers in their rack, or use ARD / SSH) but overall SL is becoming more of a headache then I want to deal with.

Cheers
    Cameron

16. j-a-x macrumors 65816

j-a-x

4 finger gestures work fine for me, as they did in Leopard, but the two finger pinch gesture still annoys me (I accidentally keep resizing safari text). I am glad I can disable it now though in SL but I wish I could disable the pinch gesture in just Safari rather than system wide.

17. parapup macrumors 65816

parapup

This is insane

• Mail.app has quit unexpectedly 3 times so far the moment I tried to enter an email address to send an email and it tries to auto complete. POS
    • Dock crashes every time I try to drag and drop a .SIT file into the trash icon
    • Battery life is 2.36 minutes remaining at less than half screen brightness and nothing hogging the CPU - it used to be better than this. :mad:

Looks like it is going to take 10.6.3 or so to make everything actually usable. If this was a release with lots of new revolutionary end user features may be this kind of crap would have been acceptable but it just hurts given this is a polish and cleanup release and I could not tell if I was using SL or Leopard spare these bugs.

18. glossywhite macrumors 65816

glossywhite

No they haven't:

Attached Files:

19. Eminemdrdre00 macrumors 6502a

Eminemdrdre00

Yeah I hate that the Grid view in Stacks doesnt resize itself anymore. I dont like having to scroll through my Applications Stack. I liked when they were all right there in front of me.

20. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

I'm finding that Growl itself works just fine, but GrowlTunes doesn't... really annoying. I'm missing my iTunes track notifications! :(

21. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

What model Mac are you running? My MacBook Pro is having no issues at all so far. Everything's great; Mail is running like it did in Leopard (but a lot faster), Dock is running much more smoothly than before (no more graphical jitters or lag) and my battery life is unaffected by the upgrade.

22. parapup macrumors 65816

parapup

Do you use Exchange with Mail.app? I was very happy that it auto configured but if it is to crash while sending email and does NOT have the courtesy to restart and restore the email - it is POS. I have already lost one long email initially after the crash - it just vanishes.

Mine is a MBP2,2 - Core2 2.33Ghz with 3Gb RAM (Refurbished - so it is not even a year old - still under warranty) and no crazy applications that load kexts or anything - just stock Leopard install with FireFox, Office 2008, Skype etc. I had no crashes or any troubles with Leopard.

Battery life definitely went south - it's not just that it is reporting less, it actually is less. Very bad.

Attached Files:

23. CTJoyce macrumors member

The issue I am having is that if I say do 4 finger swipe up to clear my desktop it works, then I try to 4 finger swipe to bring all my windows back. It will do it momentarily then push everything back to the sides as if i had just swiped back up again.

Cheers
    Cameron

24. zbasarab macrumors member

woah...so when you go to 'about this mac' it says build 10A342 as opposed to 10.6?