My small Leopard WWDC 07 Review

Discussion in 'macOS' started by petvas, Jun 27, 2007.

1. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

I installed the WWDC 07 release today on my iMac and I really found Leopard to be a relative major upgrade. The speed increase is dramatic, it has to be the 64bit core! Everything opens in less than a second. Rosetta apps run faster too. I installed Office 2004 and it worked very fast.

The new Finder is also great, coverflow is a major feature and maybe should be named differently! Preview is also great, just press space and your doc/image pops up. Strangely enough, in this build Preview doesnt support iWork documents! Work and Excel documents work great, powerpoint not yet.

The new Desktop is also nice, the new Dock looks great, Stacks are also very useful, especially as an application launcher. The only thing I really dont like is the transparent menu bar. There should be an option to disable it...I have the feeling that the Desktop is still a work in progress and it will be further polished till release. The 3d Dock is great though!

The prominent window is really prominent now! The shadow surrounding the window is much bigger than before and makes for a great effect.
    Time Machine is really easy to configure and is another great feature to have.
    Spaces I don't like. I use most of my apps in full screen and when pressing F8 to see all spaces ala Expose, I get a preview of all Spaces but I dont get to see all my apps in every Space. I guess it has to do with me using almost everything in full screen.
    The new Mail and iCal are also looking good, Mail is a good upgrade and I really like the new features (RSS, Tasks, Notes).
    I didnt get to use iChat because I couldnt make a connection to iChat 3.0 Clients. I guess it is a bug of the current release...

My Bluetooth Mighty Mouse didnt work but I guess the final release will solve it also...

Overall I have to say that from a user perspective Leopard is a very nice upgrade, without heartbreaking features, but with many major ones. It is also completely rewritten and that shows. The performance is really great!

2. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

doesn't posting stuff like this violate your NDA? i'm not a member so i don't know what the exact terms are, but i thought you weren't allowed to talk about it?

3. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

Leopard is the sex.

Seriously, on my machine its faster than Tiger, and its doing all the Core Image effects in a combination of hardware and software (I have a Radeon 9000 Pro), with from what I can see, no speed penalty!

4. petvas thread starter macrumors 601

petvas

Well, I haven't posted anything that isn't already known to the public, so no violation of the NDA was done. If I spoke of features not mentioned before then I would violate my NDA...

5. lofight macrumors 68000

lofight

I don't believe that you've got a build... your review doesn't sound really like : i have a build of leopard.

6. petvas thread starter macrumors 601

petvas

Well, thats your problem...

I don't have to convince you. Its strange though that you find my review fake. I won't post pictures as that would violate my NDA.

7. lofight macrumors 68000

lofight

okay, okay i believe you, it's just that your review tells us everything we already knew...

8. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

That is probably due to increased multi-threading rather than 64bit core as people with G4s have reported speed increases too. Good to know that it will make things faster. That will encourage people with older machines to upgrade.

9. petvas thread starter macrumors 601

petvas

Well you didnt know about iChat 4 not connecting to ichat 3 clients for example.

Anyway, the thing with the transparent bar is irritating. I put a background showing some mountains and the bar turned blue...

10. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

that's the part i wasn't clear on, i didn't know what the devs were allowed to say. some people make it seem like you can't even say you have it, lol. good to know that you can give opinions on the documented features and stuff like that.

we're currently a windows only shop and i'd love to get into some mac development and get a membership, but a lot of the NDA talk scared me. apple seems much more strict then others that i've dealt with. like one little slipup and they take away your membership and stuff. not that i'd ever intentionally leak anything. that's the only reason i'm asking. could make my decision easier :)

11. NJuul macrumors 6502

This mod gets rid of that annoying transparent menubar...