My smart TV is smarter than me.

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Sam the Slam, Jan 23, 2016.

1. Sam the Slam macrumors newbie

Sam the Slam

In the spirit of full disclosure, my tech skills are sub-standard. I want to connect my MacAir to a Vizio smart HDTV. Obviously I need a thunderbolt cable. Is there one that connects directly to my TV ? To what TV input- HDMI or USB? Do I need an adapter? If so, what has been found as a good choice? Apple lists Moshi adapters but I have seen some poor reviews on them. Thanks for your help.

2. iceman42 macrumors regular

here you go
    aLLreli® 6ft Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Cable | Mini DP to HDMI | Thunderbolt Compatible | Full HD 1080p | 24k Gold Plated Connectors | Video+Audio - White 1.8 Meters 6 feet

3. JTToft macrumors 68040

You need a Mini DisplayPort to HDMI cable. You can't use a Thunderbolt cable for the purpose.

Example via Amazon.com.

4. ajcgn macrumors regular

ajcgn

would an Apple TV 3 accomplish the same thing? a couple of dollars more, but no cables.

5. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

Good call there. I am curious though (for the sake of knowledge and discussion), if one were to have a Thunderbolt dock such as OWC, Elgato or Caldigit etc., they have HDMI out. Would this work?

6. JTToft macrumors 68040

- Depends which sort of thing he intends to put up on his TV. Not all things are created equal in terms of AirPlaying. And AirPlay Mirroring isn't suitable for everything.

- It definitely would, yes.

7. Sam the Slam thread starter macrumors newbie

Sam the Slam