Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iLeo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
Hi,

for a while now, I'm noticing some weird performance issues with my Snow Leopard. Examples:

- Long time to start
- After start, the Doc, Quicksilver and menu bar all freeze for about 5 sec before they become actionable
- Some times when I shut down the computer, it stops at the blue screen, and never shuts down!!! I have to force shut down from the power button!!!
- MANY times when I use quick view in finder it crashes & I have to re-launch finder

Anyone of you facing the same issues?
Anyone would have any kind advice on what to do? or how to solve any of these problems?

FYI, I've tried repairing permissions but that wouldn't help. I've also tried some maintenance apps such as Tinker Tool System & Tech Tools with no improvement so far!

Appreciate any help, as these issues are now reminding me of WIndows Vista!

regards,

iLeo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
Ouch!

That's a bad option.. :(

Is there any specific system file I can replace with a TimeMachine backup instead?

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
Have you tried a new user on the system to see if you still experience the same issues (finder crashing etc)?

Have you reset your PRAM?
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1379

How did you install Snow Leopard....clean or upgrade?

Are you on 10.6.1? You can try re installing the 10.6.1 update again.

-Kevin

drossad

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2008
PA
This all seems silly to me.

None of these things should be happening to so many people in the first place.

What is going on with Apple?

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
Appreciate any help, as these issues are now reminding me of WIndows Vista!

If Snow Leopard behaved like Windows Vista (64-Bit) on my Mac Pro, it would be a HUGE step ahead! Because Vista runs like a charm on my Mac Pro - it's fast, stable and - since SP2 - also mature and reliable. In comparison, Snow Leopard is alpha stage software that has hit the stores.

The problem is, I can't even revert back to Leopard - at least not without some huge efforts. I only have a 10.5.0 retail disk which refuses to boot on my Mac Pro with an nVidia 8800 GT (upgraded from a 7300 GT) -- you need at least 10.5.2 to boot on that hardware.

Some things that helped with Snow Leoapard: Upgrade to 10.6.1. Rebuild the Spotlight index (sudo mdutil -E). Remove "Documents" and "Downloads" stacks from Dock and move them back in there (that solved at least some of the graphical glitches that I always had there). Update all of your software to Snow Leopard compatible versions, if they are available.

drossad

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2008
PA
Wow, was that ever helpful to the original poster. :eek:

-Kevin

My response was more of a response to the other posts.

I think it's great that we can come here and get help from each other.

But...

1. We shouldn't have to do a clean install of something that should work from an upgrade. Don't Macs "just work"?

2. Apple should have had SL more ready before releasing it. Obvious dropped ball. They have spent enough time making fun of Vista and Microsoft in their marketing that this is inexcusable.

3. Apple should be more swift in fixing these problems if they don't want to lose potential customers.

I am just frustrated with the rollout of SL, and was venting. Sorry. I'll try not to be such a buzkill next time.

iLeo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies (ALL). And special thanks to kbmb, the PRAM thing worked in solving the "doc, QS & other freeze at start". Not sure about the rest, as that problem was the only one that happens on a regular bases. The rest happen "some times".

As for startup, I'm starting to believe that both SL & Leopard are slow in that.

--

Winni,

Surprised that you like Vista!! :confused: well, believe it or not, Vista was the "REASON" I switched to Mac in the 1st place. It's like.. between every crash & another, it.. well.. creashes! :rolleyes:

Anyway, thanks again guys, really appreciate it..

regards,

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
How the heck is Apple supposed to guarantee that all third party software is going to play well with their updates?

Go through and see if you're using any third party extensions, input managers, plug-ins and preference panes. If you have a habit of installing add-ons that piggy-back Apple's applications, you'll find yourself in trouble after each OS update.

Check the third party software sites to see if you need updates to your extensions or plugins.

I had nothing but smooth sailing on Snow Leopard.

Maybe I got lucky, but also maybe it's because I don't install a lot of crap that I don't need.

iLeo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
Bad news:

Unfortunately, the hang at shutdown happened again! :(:(:( very disappointing :(

mysterytramp

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2008
Maryland
Bad news:

Unfortunately, the hang at shutdown happened again! :(:(:( very disappointing :(

UH-OH!

I'm going to assume that you at least reset the PRAM. And you haven't mentioned anything about creating a new user.

I have no reason to believe that resetting PRAM will affect shutdown, but it might be a good thing to let your Mac have a nice long time to shut down, just in case the "hang" is really the CPU sorting things out. (I say this because I was very disappointed with the first shutdowns and startups after upgrading to SL, and within a day, things went much, much speedier.)

Force quitting with the power button could make things worse, or certainly make them not get better.

Patience can be a valuable tool in diagnosing computer ills.

mt

Shodan

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2009
Have you changed anything in Core Services?

Reset the PRAM, Permissions & check what Login Items you have - some maybe delaying Shut Down.

I've been running Snow Leopard since it's release on my MacBook Air Rev B with no problems what so ever - and that's CS4 work, WGM + Remote Desktop too 85 Macs.

DesignerOnMac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2007
Bad news:

Try this: Unplug your laptop from the power supply. Remove the battery. After both is done, reset the SMU (?). Hold down your power button for 10 seconds. This resets the hardware back to the factory settings.

Reinstall the battery, and the power supply, if your doing both at the same time, and restart your laptop.

Hope this helps you!

SmugMac

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2009
This all seems silly to me.

None of these things should be happening to so many people in the first place.

What is going on with Apple?

That's totally illogical.

Apple is just fine, on the other hand the O.P's MacBook may be having a hardware issue. If the O.P purchased AppleCare - used the Disc provided to run diagnostics - if not ring Apple.

Some advice. Don't post ridiculous thread names that have 'Vista' in it. Makes you look and sound daft.

Shodan

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2009
That's totally illogical.

For the few months I have read these forums - a lot of that seems to go on around here.

Mostly from the Mac/Windows Martyrs, ya'know, the ones that use a Mac everyday but like to shout Fanboy at any person that dare say they like Apple products.

Anyhow, way OT.

I think the OP need's to reply as to what the situation is before thing's are resolved!

Dan73

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2009
Hrm, seems like your OS X isn't turning into Vista because I had no problems with Vista. So if it was turning into Vista you wouldn't have any problems.

Hrm, I'm no help, I know. :D

SmugMac

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2009
For the few months I have read these forums - a lot of that seems to go on around here.

Mostly from the Mac/Windows Martyrs, ya'know, the ones that use a Mac everyday but like to shout Fanboy at any person that dare say they like Apple products.

Anyhow, way OT.

I think the OP need's to reply as to what the situation is before thing's are resolved!

One reason why I don't spend much time on Forums - be they Mac or Windows Forums. Far too much chaff, not enough intelligent conversation.

iLeo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
Hi guys,

Again, many thanks for people trying to help.

So, here's what I've done so far based on your recos:

1. Reset the PRAM: I think this solved my no.2 problem (doc & menus freezing at startup).

2. Created a new acct, tried to shut-down several times (total 5 so far) and that happened smoothly. (as appose to shut-down refusal). Still don't know for sure if that's 100% true, cause -as I mentioned- this problem specifically happens "sometimes".

3. I've rebuilt the spotlight index: That helped a lot in speeding up results on spotlight, so (Thanks for the advice Winni) although this wasn't a notable problem for me, but I appreciate the outcome.

4. I've also taken out both documents & downloads stacks from the doc: Unfortunately, this didn't solve the finder crash when using quick look to view several videos in both folders. :(

5. I've also repaired permissions & deleted any programs that didn't have a "Snow Leopard" compatible version. (not seeing any results so far). And by the way, TheSpaz.. I don't have any "3rd party Crap" on my computer.

---

mysterytramp, I'm sure the "force-shut-down" using power button is not a good thing to do, but, FYI, when the device hangs at shut-down, it simply "doesn't shut-down" at all! I remember waiting a whole 15 minutes on it one time, then I just had to force it!!!

----

Shodan, what do you mean exactly by "Core Services"?

----

DesignerOnMac, I'll try your solution & let you know what happens!

Again,
thanks guys

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
Hi guys,

Again, many thanks for people trying to help.

So, here's what I've done so far based on your recos:

1. Reset the PRAM: I think this solved my no.2 problem (doc & menus freezing at startup).

2. Created a new acct, tried to shut-down several times (total 5 so far) and that happened smoothly. (as appose to shut-down refusal). Still don't know for sure if that's 100% true, cause -as I mentioned- this problem specifically happens "sometimes".

3. I've rebuilt the spotlight index: That helped a lot in speeding up results on spotlight, so (Thanks for the advice Winni) although this wasn't a notable problem for me, but I appreciate the outcome.

4. I've also taken out both documents & downloads stacks from the doc: Unfortunately, this didn't solve the finder crash when using quick look to view several videos in both folders. :(

5. I've also repaired permissions & deleted any programs that didn't have a "Snow Leopard" compatible version. (not seeing any results so far). And by the way, TheSpaz.. I don't have any "3rd party Crap" on my computer.

---

mysterytramp, I'm sure the "force-shut-down" using power button is not a good thing to do, but, FYI, when the device hangs at shut-down, it simply "doesn't shut-down" at all! I remember waiting a whole 15 minutes on it one time, then I just had to force it!!!

----

Shodan, what do you mean exactly by "Core Services"?

----

DesignerOnMac, I'll try your solution & let you know what happens!

Again,
thanks guys

Dude, I think you need to suck it up and do a full erase, reformat and install of SL. Install each one of your apps separately, do not attempt to restore from a Time Machine backup or cloned drive. If you still don't want to do this, then that's on you but think about it, you've been on this forum trying to fix this for 2 days. You could've reformatted and installed in a matter of a few hours and possibly resolved your issues and did something else fun over the weekend.

Moof1904

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2004
Same shutdown problem

I'm having the same problem on shutdown or restart on my 2008 Mac Pro: blue screen and spinning gear forever, only mine happens 100% of the time.

-It's a brand new install of SL on a bare drive, upgraded to 10.6.1
-I've repaired disk permissions, twice
-I've zapped PRAM

Don't know what else to try. I reboot into windows often and must do a hard power shutoff to get the Mac to shut down. I'm sure that's not good for its hardware or software.

Very frustrating.

Any diagnostic tips?

madog

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2004
Korova Milkbar
Unless your Mac tried to kidnap your family and steal your car, then it is not turning into Vista.

Wakka wakka!

But seriously, Snow Leopard isn't a horrible system because not everyone is having problems with it. It's possible it could be corrupt data from a data Migration or system upgrade or even a coincidental start of your HDD going bad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.