My sob story; suggest what I should do

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NPChaikin, Oct 19, 2008.

1. NPChaikin macrumors newbie

First, some background: I'm a freshman at Allegheny College in Meadville, PA. Like most college students, I'm running on no money. In fact, I have a negative balance on my checking account. My mom is similarly broke - basically, she just lost everything she had after a rough divorce and is having trouble paying the bills. Thus, spending hundreds of dollars on repairing my computer simply isn't an option.

Nearly three years ago, as a gift, my parents bought me a Powerbook G4. I was ecstatic to finally own a Mac, and the system immediately dazzled me, from the aesthetics to Mac OS X; have no doubt - OS X has made using a computer something I look forward to. That is, when the computer is working.

I sent my original Powerbook in five times with various hardware failures - three times, the Wi-Fi simply stopped working. One time, Apple sent back my machine after a repair with a deep scratch across the display. When my CD drive failed, support was rude and blamed me even though I treated the machine like it was my child. Finally, as a token of gratitude, Apple replaced my machine with a brand-new Macbook Pro a little less than a year after my original purchase. I was thrilled with Apple support for the first time - for the first time, they showed the respect that seemed so elusive. I received the machine a week later with hopes that the transition would spell the end of my problems.

Unfortunately, things didn't turn out that way. My Macbook Pro suffered from two hard drive failures, a bad Wi-Fi card, and a warped case after one repair. Apple support was more courteous towards me with these failures, but one repair resulted in three weeks of downtime due to a backordered part - no small price to pay in productivity as both a student and, at the time, a freelance web designer. After the second hard drive failure and a horrible experience with customer relations, Apple once again decided to send me a replacement refurbished Macbook Pro. I was grateful for this and once again was ready to give Apple a shot at providing me with a machine worthy of my $2,000 investment.

Unfortunately, my Macbook Pro suffered from further problems. Before coming to college, I considered purchasing a new machine, knowing that I simply couldn't lose the computer while I was at college. I elected against it though, because I love Mac OS X and I couldn't afford to purchase a new machine. Unfortunately, the computer seemed to fail right when I got to school. A CD became lodged in the drive, and Apple offered to repair it despite the fact that it was passed warranty. This wasn't an option because I can't lose the computer, but, in hindsight, it may have been what I should've done. My hard drive has now completely failed. It began making clicking noises after a restart, and a subsequent restart resulted in what looks like a corrupt Finder (see attached picture). I called Apple and they were especially rude and told me to call Customer Relations on Monday. I can't afford to waste minutes on the phone with them, as I'm running out of those on my phone plan and I have no other way to contact them other than using my cell phone.

What should I say to them?

Attached Files:

2. LinMac macrumors 65816

A broken Macbook Pro is still a Macbook Pro. You can most likely sell it for quite a sum of money even in the current condition if it will still boot.

Quick review:

1) Is the case still as close to pristine as reasonably possible?

2) Is the screen/display as close to pristine as reasonably possible?

3) Are there any other outstanding problems besides the slot loading optical drive and the hard disk?

If those are answered yes, yes and no then I'd say you're going to be within striking distance of a refurbished Macbook by just selling that machine.

3. r88my macrumors regular

Depending on how confident you are opening up the macbook pro, you could buy a cheap hard drive and replace it yourself and reinstall OSX. There are good guides on ifixit.com. Hope you sort your problem out.

4. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

sorry to hear you've had such bad luck with the macbook pro.

My advice is skip calling Apple care. Is it possible for you to make a trip to the genius bar? Better to speak to someone in person.

See what they can do for you. I'm not sure if it's worth selling a defective macbook pro. I mean how much can you get out of it realistically? If you can get enough to buy a new mac then go for it and pick something up from the refurb section.

Otherwise, I think best is to go to the genius bar and see what they can do. I know its terrible to be without a computer for awhile. but i think after all that you've been through, it's better to get it fixed once and for all. Use the computers on your college campus, i've done that in the past but the waiting was worth it when you get your mac back.

Also, if you do get it fixed, try and save up for some apple care before the warranty runs out. With your luck, it's better to be safe.

good luck, and all the best :) Please keep us informed of the situation.

5. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

To answer your question. Just be straight to the point and tell them the issues you're having. Once you've done that, you can also tell them the history.

6. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

Spending a few minutes on the phone is not worth a repaired or replacement? Better yet, go into the closest Apple Store and have a genius look at it. Odds are they will send it off or replace it. You have no choice but to have Apple chose how the issue will be remedied. The sooner you act the sooner this will be resolved. I am working on a new MBP that replaced a problematic Powerbook 1.33, so I understand your frustration. Let the system work for you rather than dumping the machine and losing all chances of a pleasant ending.

7. StatiK76 macrumors member

StatiK76

by the sounds of it ... you should invest in a toughbook, or something else you cant break. wow thats a lot of breakage ... bad luck?

StatiK76

8. LinMac macrumors 65816

I think the other people replying missed an important part of the original post.

An expensive repair isn't an option according to this part.

The Macbook Pro is not covered by a warranty.

It is definitely worth going to talk to an Apple Genius at the Genius Bar if you live close enough to a store as they might be able to fix it at a minimal cost.

My post just referred to the path of least resistance if the repair failed.

9. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

I would suggest going to the Genius bar and seeing if they could possibly replace it for one of the new MacBook's. If you have emails from previous repairs, or receipts, bring them and show them how much stuff you've been thru. Also let the know that you are a student and that you need a laptop to survive in school.

10. LinMac macrumors 65816

I would be interested to hear about how that trip turns out. I've heard a lot of good things about Apple's service, but that would be awesome. :D

Definitely worth a try though as it is much better than selling your computer.

11. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

so your PowerBook was a dud and was repaired and then finally replaced with a MacBook Pro. now the MacBook Pro is a dud? if its still under warranty Apple pretty much has to fix it. they are a company that has customers and they have to support and treat these customers with respect. thats why they have the Customer Relations. i suggest you ring them and explain what you jsut wrote. Apple has given you two dud machines… you should keep on getting a new one until it works properly.

12. NPChaikin thread starter macrumors newbie

Apple finally offered me a free repair. I believe I deserve more, but at this point, I just need a working computer.

13. NPChaikin thread starter macrumors newbie

I would've done this, but I have no Apple Store anywhere near me.