My Social Security Number is 457-55-5462

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Hummer, May 22, 2008.

1. Luis macrumors 65816

Luis

Haha, I always knew the guy would eventually get burned by those ads. However, poor people who signed up for the company, i wouldn't be feeling real comfortable right now.

2. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

3. iAlan macrumors 65816

iAlan

Applies for loan to buy a buket load of new Apple stuff...then reads article and cries :(

4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

It's still quite effective. People are literally gunning for him, and it has still held up quite well. You don't have everyone trying to steal your identity in particular, so you should still be quite well off.

5. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

I almost signed up for it. I looked at what they do and it may only be effective in the US.

What about a person who steals your info in another country?

6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

makes the service look ineffective and a ripoff, imo.

yeah, it took awhile to get cracked or whatever, but it did. several times. and really, thats all that matters.

7. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

I have an identity theft service (which should be expiring soon). Turns out a former employer had a security breach and paid for a year's worth of the service. Luckily it was right around the time that my Grad School had a similar breach along with another company I had done business with.

8. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

The phrase "poetic justice" comes to mind, but like Abstract I feel the need to point out that it held up quite well for a reasonably long time considering that his information was out in the open.

However, I have a more basic problem with ID protection services; they take the place of what police and other agencies should have been doing to begin with. Everyone, from the Todd Davises of the world to the Joe Shmoes needs to have the security of their identity intact. It's analogous to basic police and fire protection. We all pay collectively to minimize harm, and that's how identity theft should be handled as well.

9. Moof1904 macrumors 65816

That's absolutely correct. I submit that the reasons we'll never see comprehensive reform in the way our financial privacy is safeguarded is that so many influential organizations are profiting from these identity theft prevention services. In many cases, it's the same people profiting from identity theft prevention plans as those who are responsible for maintaining our data safely.

10. rpaloalto macrumors 6502a

rpaloalto

11. d_and_n5000 macrumors 6502a

d_and_n5000

:O If that's your real one, you need some serious mental help.

12. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

Even if that isn't his/her SSN, we shouldn't be posting bogus SSN's incase it turns out to be someone's actual SSN.

13. ert3 macrumors 6502a

ert3

14. rpaloalto macrumors 6502a

rpaloalto

Sorry,
    I guess it could be somebody's real number. If indeed it is a valid number. I don't think it could cause any harm, as their is no name or other information that would be linked to said number.

It's just that I, have always been so annoyed at this guy's t.v. and radio commercials. With him, blurting his social security number out. During the past 2 years. I was just poking fun.

15. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

16. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

I don't understand...? It wasn't funny when the other guy did it, so why would it be funny this time?

17. Axemantitan macrumors 6502

18. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

19. klymr macrumors 65816

Because this one starts at 9 and counts down to 1, therefore there is no way it could be a real persons SSN. And right, it's not funny this time.

20. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

I have to say though, even though this guy has everyone gunning for him, a minor ordeal at a check cashing agency is a pretty good record.

21. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

It was an online deal that didn't even run credit reports. As far as I'm concerned, that sounds like a success in terms of the service.

22. Mac_Max macrumors 6502

There's no real need to worry about posting made up SSNs considering anyone trying to scam someone could just make one up just the same....

23. Decrepit macrumors 65816

Decrepit

:)

That response made my night. What a fun song.