My solution for my son losing the remote

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by From A Buick 8, Jul 7, 2012.

1. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

Seems like my son kept losing the remote for the AppleTV. He said the dang thing was just to small and all "slidey". So being the handyman i am (lol) this is what i came up with. if you look close you can see that one of the times he lost it the dog chewed on it some.

Attached Files:

2. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Did you create an optional ball and chain accessory for it? :D

4. From A Buick 8 thread starter macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

That was my goal, so maybe i am handy after all...

Might be the next step if it gets lost again.

5. hipnetic macrumors 6502a

We have four next-gen ATV's (three 720p models and one 1080p), and we've somehow managed to lose two remotes and one power cord. I swear they must be somewhere in the house, but I spent a solid hour or two searching up and down for them a couple of weeks ago and couldn't find them. I did take one of them on a couple of trips in the past, but I'm fairly certain I brought all of the pieces back. :(

I must admit that I don't use the remote anyway, since I've got some Logitech Harmony remotes that have added features I need for controlling other gear I have. But I really do love the design and feel of the Apple remote. If they would just give it a learnable volume control, I would probably opt to use it most of the time. Honestly, I don't see what they were thinking in this day and age by not at least giving it a learnable volume control (a learnable TV on/off button would be nice, too). Rant over.

6. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Come on, you could have screwed the device to a 10 pound weight

7. Fuchal macrumors 68020

8. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

I have a stack of atv remotes still In the plastic. As I always either used harmony one or the iPhone app

9. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

Another vote for the harmony I couldn't imagine using 2-5 different remotes

10. From A Buick 8 thread starter macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

Want to sell some of them ?

11. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

I would but im sellIng a few apple tvs and people want the remotes with them and I want to keep mine incase I ever sell it if a new atv comes out.

12. Ratatapa macrumors 6502a

Why does everyone needs to show their 'work'

This isisnt facebook yall

13. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

Nice, I was missing both of mine for a couple of months. Had to use the universal remote and the iPhones to control them.

One day I moved the hamper and I heard something move inside it, looked down and it was empty. It has a fabric lining, and nothing down in it. Pulled out the lining and there was both remotes, and several other small items.

My 15 month old daughter must have been putting things in the handle of the hamper.

Hope your solution helps.

14. Pompiliu macrumors 6502a

Pompiliu

+1. I use the Harmony 900 and i love it. I have a drawer full of remotes.:D

15. PN4 macrumors member

Nice!

I haven't seen my ATV remote since the week I bought it. I imagine our 2 1/2 year old stuck it in or under something.

Thank God for the "remote app".

16. From A Buick 8 thread starter macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

For what it is worth i posted it on there as well :D

It has been lost several times since we bought that Atv, the last time it was under the area rug and i swear the thing is so slim the we did not even notice the bump it made in the rug. Took abot 10 days before we found it. We were using the remote app on the iPad. Was allways a pain to ask the person using the iPad to stop what the were doing to manupipulate the Atv (i know such a first world problem).

I have one of the Harmony remotes, bought it off of ebay, for some reason it keeps losing its programming, guess i should just splurge for a new one. The wife really likes the simplicity of the little ATV remote so getting her to switch to something that controls more then 1 device might be an issue..

17. EPMac1 macrumors newbie

If you have a cable remote or even the TV remote, you can easily program it to control your AppleTv. This way you will always be able to control it and you only have to use 1 to control all. Just go to settings>general>remotes>learn remote

18. From A Buick 8 thread starter macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

I had not thought of this, so i should be able to teach the Atv to respond to my TV remote. If you do this does it still respond to the little ATV remote.

19. takeshi74 macrumors 601

A learning remote will not disable the original remote.