My solution to the Lion battery life issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ABadSanta, Aug 5, 2011.

1. ABadSanta macrumors regular

I experienced what seemed quite prevalent on these forums: dismal battery life after the transition to Lion. On Snow Leopard, my computer got 5-6 hours of battery life while browsing the internet, word processing, and spotify on roughly 40% brightness.

On Lion, I got 3-4 hours under the same exact conditions.

I tried everything, including checking my activity monitor, doing a fresh install of Lion, and I even tried turning my brightness to almost the lowest possible to try to get the same battery life.

I then installed gfxcardstatus, to see whether my integrated or dedicated card was running. Turns out, my computer would turn on the dedicated card when I launched Chrome...

I set it to Integrated only, and now i get more than 6 hours of battery life doing the same tasks.

Thought I'd share this with you all. I hope I can help anyone else who has a problem with battery life.

My computer: 2011 MBP 15" 2.0 ghz i7, HR Anti Glare, 8 GB RAM, 500 GB HDD @ 7200 rpm

Cheers

ABadSanta

2. altecXP macrumors 65816

Chrome has that problem in SL too. It's nothing new.

3. ABadSanta, Aug 5, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2011

ABadSanta thread starter macrumors regular

Right, which is unfortunate. Regardless though, I have found that keeping my computer on the integrated chip saves a lot of battery life.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios