My (sometimes terrible) experience with iCloud backup

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Subu, Jan 11, 2013.

1. Subu, Jan 11, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2013

Subu macrumors regular

Dear All

# I have an iPhone 5 & I've been thrilled about this iCloud back up

# The concept (of automatic iCloud back) seems great, it is supposed to work auto on wifi, when the phone is locked and connected to power ~ expected to be seamless

# but I had a terrible time backing up and realized that pushing all my data to some server in California is easier said than done

# this is my experience, where I've stumbled, got up, stumbled again and finally decided to cut down the size of the back up to bare minimums

# it would be great to share views, ideas, tips and tricks

this is what happened to me
    ------------------------------------
    => the first backup went well
    => then somewhere down the line I saw my home wife working furiously through out the night and realsied that something was amiss
    => I suspected it is the iPhone, checked couple of apps, closed this .. / that ... , finally landed on iCloud back up to realise that it takes for ever
    => I checked the size of the backup [ how to do this on On iPhone 5 => -->Settings-->iCloud-->[scroll down to see] Storage and Backup --> Manage Storage --> Click on the device Icon (the one you are backing up)=This opens an Info page which shows the last backup date / time, size of backup and apps below. Switch on or off (backing up of apps) as per your requirements
    => When I went to the above page .... aarh... I realised that the camera was using 3 GB out of the 3.1 GB being backed up
    => So thought that switching or choosing to remove the camera app OUT of the iCloud synch would solve it

=> I know .... I know.... I was taking a big risk. I could loose my life's precious moments ... but well... there were mail and contacts and files and data and all that was 0.1 BB (in my case) and five videos I had were ~2.8 or so GB + still photos .... so I said Let me try without the camera

=> The strange / sad part is that I found out that EVEN removing the camera did NOT help

=> That's when I signed up here :)

=> To sum it up i had to remove the troublesome apps one after another to finally get it right
    => in my case the new yahoo mail app was taking for ever; I removed that (of course delete the app means loosing the data / setups) and finally the backup was over in 1 minute .... JUST 1 minute !!
    => I re-installed yahoo app and used it couple of times ; then did the backup once more
    => still the backup took just a minute (still minus the videos)

=> Tell me guys and girls .... what is your experience ?
    => what can I do better ?
    => What can we improve ?

.... Eager to know .....

Regards

Subu

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I've never had any trouble. Both my iPhones back up once a day or so. One of my iPhones has over 1GB in backup. However, both my iPhones are plugged in at night, one of them is unlocked all night because it serves as a clock. That may have something to do with it, I don't know.

Perhaps there was an issue with your ISP on this particular night?

Uninstalling Yahoo would cause you to lose your settings, but not your mail. It's still on Yahoo's servers until you either do something with it from your phone (delete), download it to your computer or access the website.

3. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

I have problems with automatic or manual iCloud backups, and my backup is 3.2GB.

Try deleting whatever iCloud backup you have, then attempt to backup again. This has solved some backup issues. Otherwise I would manually backup to iTunes for now.

4. Subu thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks

Also, as I see it iTunes seems to give me 10 GB to back up while iCloud gives me only 5 GB

Am I understanding it right ? or ?

-----

anyone else on backing it up at home using HDDs or SSDs ?

regards
    Subu

5. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

iTunes backups can be as big as necessary (the full space of your phone/device) as they are stored locally (on your computer's HD).

iCloud backups are limited in size (5GB given, then the option to purchase larger storage sizes) because they are stored on Apple's servers, of which there is only so much room. Apple gives you 5GB storage space free, then charges for extra space if you need it.

Personally, I backup to iCloud at least once a day automatically (when plugged in at night) and maybe once or twice throughout the day if I've made some important change. I backup to iTunes about once a week, in case something catastrophic happens to my phone.

6. Subu thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks

How do I choose to back only only the camera roll and couple of other things to iTunes and rest to iCloud

or

Say
    => 15 small apps to iCloud ---> [I know this is auto, overnight as you do, I know to set it up to exclude some apps etc]
    and
    => 4 large (large disk space) apps to iTunes ----> [ this is where I need help to automate it IF possible [I'll plug the cable in though :) ]

TIA
    Subu

7. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

You can't do exactly what you're asking, so here's what I suggest. Under Settings on your iPhone, go to iCloud, Storage and Backup, Manage Backups, then select your device. In their, you can edit what you want/don't want backed up to iCloud by toggling each one on/off. Now only what you've selected will be backed up to iCloud.

You can't (as far as I know) selectively backup certain things to iTunes, it just backs it up as a whole. Just let it do that, as it's good to have a full backup on iTunes as well (especially if you're not backing everything up to iCloud). Backups only take up a few GB, and you can delete old backups (iTunes--Preferences--Devices--Delete individual backups), so you can manage that if you're worried about HD space on your computer.

8. Subu thread starter macrumors regular

thanks
    Will try and get back