my son died

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Dustinsmom, Dec 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dustinsmom macrumors newbie

I am desperate. My son died unexpectedly and his iPhone 3g was passcode protected. He had photos, songs and possibly a reason for his death. The carrier is ATT; he was on my plan. I understand that the phone can be restored but everything will be lost, and I don't want to do that. I want his pictures and his music, and possibly his most recent texts. I do have his computer, and I plugged his phone in to iTUnes but cannot get into his phone. I've been told by Apple, Att and an authorized Apple repair center that there is no way. I am not dishonest as a rule, but just this one time, I need to know how or if there is a way to get in to my son's phone.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

If you have access to the computer it synced with, you can try PhoneView. Make sure you use the computer it synced with, any other may not work.

3. qwasedral macrumors member

There used to be a trick to get passed the pascode, but i'm not sure if it still works. I hope someone can help and I'm sorry for your loss.

4. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

I wonder if you can do a backup in iTunes, the restore the phone as new, restore the backup and access it? I'm not sure and I'm hoping someone else will chime in.

I know when I restored from a backup, I didn't need the code, it actually prompted me to set one, again.

5. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Hand it over to the cops, depending on your local laws they can get the txt records by court order. There is no way to get past the lock aside from simply trying every possible passcode.

6. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

First of all, I'm very sorry for your loss. :(

I don't know of a way to circumvent the passcode. Have you contacted the police? A computer forensics team might have the ability, and if it relates to a cause of death they may be willing to help.

(A note of caution, if you keep trying to enter a passcode, the phone may wipe its contents, so it's best not to try.)

7. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

This Is The Best Advise

Take it the Police, who CAN with access the information, I am sorry for your loss, and hope the information gives you some form of closure.

8. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

For text messages you can contact AT&T and receive a transcript of the messages, I believe this costs $10.

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Like mentioned above there are programs that will decrypt the backup of an iphone and then extract, pics, messages, contacts and other info.
    Besides that there's no other way on getting in besides sitting there for hours trying to guess the passcode.

10. Kar.ma macrumors newbie

Kar.ma

I am sorry for your lost. I think your son can have told his passcode to girlfriend or best friend, did you ask?

11. ajo macrumors 6502

I have used a program I think it was called iMacsoft iPhone SMS to Mac Transfer as I had to retrieve and print some texts from my phone, I think the program may also handle images etc also.

I hope this helps and I am sorry for your loss.

12. Dustinsmom thread starter macrumors newbie

Re: Dustins iPhone passcode

I need to know, what is phoneview?? I have his computer. And thank you all for your help. I just want some closure, if ever that is possible.

13. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

PhoneView is a program that runs on Windows or Mac OS X. It pull information off of an iPhone as long as it is preformed on the computer that the iPhone synced with. It will display the text messages in a nice printable format. It can also extract and backup voicemails, contacts, pictures, and other data stored on the iPhone. While it isn't free, it does have a trial.

14. SporkLover macrumors 6502

I may have an answer

my phone is also password protected. The other day my carrier had me do a settings>reset>erase all content and settings. It wiped my phone completely. When I did a restore from backup through iTunes, at some point it asked me if I wanted to set a password lock. I opted not to. Once my phone was restored, all the info was there, just no screen lock. Nothing was lost except my media, which I just re-synced through iTunes. Pictures, texts, emails..... All there.

A few important things, one you HAVE to know his iTunes password. If you do not know it, then if you have access to his email, you can change it. Two, do you know if he used iCloud? If he does iCloud backups, you are going to have to wipe through iTunes, setup as a new phone, and then sign into iCloud to restore backup.

I wish I were near my computer so I could test this again before recommending you try it. I would hate to give you bad advice, and you lose your data.

Maybe someone here can try it for you. I know you can't get to settings, but perhaps a restore from backup through iTunes will get you there.

15. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

16. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I've had to delete several posts for being off-topic and/or rude.

This forum exists so that members can seek help. If you have something helpful to add it's graciously appreciated.

If you don't, then please obey forum rules and post elsewhere. Rudeness and irrelevance are not helpful here. If you take issue with this act of moderation, please feel free to use the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of the page; do not take this thread further off-topic by discussing it here.

Thanks.

17. dontpannic macrumors 6502

dontpannic

My idea would be to back it up using iTunes, get hold of a different iPhone 3GS, and restore the backup to that. Then, you'll know if the backup is passcode locked, and if it isn't, you have access to the data. If it is still passcode protected, then you have to investigate other avenues.

The reason I say to restore it to a different iPhone is that there is no risk to the data on your son's iPhone.

18. dickdaney macrumors regular

Sorry for your loss

I don't recommend restoring it, because you don't know how old his back up is. It could be from yesterday, last week, or last month. Try the phone view program. Also are you sure it's a 3G, not a 3GS?

19. captainamerica macrumors member

In my humble opinion, the thread creator has deliberately used an attention-grabbing and sympathy-farming title in order to break into someone's iphone.

20. Papanate macrumors regular

That was my first thought as well.

21. JrFreak macrumors 6502a

JrFreak

I would plug it into the PC used to snyc with it and do a backup in itunes asap.... this way you might be able to get the data even if the phone (or ipod) was restored, lost or destroyed.

----------

Now that I think of it you might be right. If her son really died wouldn't it be a no-brainer to hand it over to the police and have them retrieve the data? If she is just trying to break into her son's phone to spy on him that wouldn't be something you'd go to the police over...

22. Applejuiced, Dec 31, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2011

Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

[...]

All I'm saying is anyone can make up anything on the Internet.

23. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

so sorry for your loss :(

i own phoneview and put my phone under a passcode lock. i can confirm it did sync my messages and other information under the lock. however i don't remember if there was anything i had to set up when i first got the program so it would work with my phone even if it was under passcode lock. it might be worth a shot however. it will take all of the media, messages, call logs, notes, voicemails, contacts though.

24. hizzaah macrumors 6502

"ElcomSoft restricts the availability of the toolkit to select government entities such as law enforcement and forensic organizations and intelligence agencies."

25. nooaah, Dec 31, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2011

nooaah macrumors 68000

nooaah

Anyone can, but if you had any class or common sense you'd give the person the benefit of the doubt - because if it's true and you're making these accusations, that's a terrible thing to say to a parent.

I came from the exact situation three weeks ago and I had to go through similar pains to get into my family member's phone so I could get to his contacts list. It's not fun, and to the other poster, I never thought of going to the #$@%@ police.

My prayers go out to dustinsmom.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.