Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Judaswillcome4U

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 30, 2012
singapore
My son loan his computer to a "friend" who created an account and overwrote his, and rename the computer Hacked-Retards-Macbook, I would like to teach the little crip a lesson, but first I would like to know how to check what he has changed. I could find in the console the exact time he did it and his .....@me address. Please help I am angry as hell:mad::mad:

charlieegan3

macrumors 68020
Feb 16, 2012
U.K
Your son gave away the login details to his computer. The kid he gave the to see himself as a hacker.

do you not know the ID of the kid?

Judaswillcome4U

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 30, 2012
singapore
Thank you so much for your help, yes I know the kids ID. My son loaned the computer already logged in, they were in the classroom.

I would like to teach this kid a lesson, but most importantly I need to learn how to go about making this computer safer. If I wipe it off and reload it as New making myself the admin and adding my son a guest user can the "hacker" still go and do it again?

Any help would be appreciated.

what software in lynda.com would you recommend to learn???:confused:

Thanks in advance.

Judaswillcome4U

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 30, 2012
singapore
yes I do need lessons!

Perhaps you ought to take lesson first.

Perhaps yuo can point me to the right place, don't have time to go back to University. All I need is to learn some programing.
As for the lesson to the kid, did not mean computer lessons, but rather meant, how to teach a kid not to abuse trust.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
.... I need to learn how to go about making this computer safer. If I wipe it off and reload it as New making myself the admin and adding my son a guest user can the "hacker" still go and do it again?...

#1 rule: You almost guessed it. "NEVER use an Admin account for normal work. YOUR account and your son's account need to be non-admin. Then if some one gets into a normal account all they can do is thrash that account and remove all the data. Never do normal work while logged into an admin account.

There is no rule #2.

Well, maybe a second rule. Make backups. Time machine works fine for this. Even in your case. Just restore from the last known "good" time and you are back.

But remember that even if you follow the one rule anyone who has physical access to the computer can do what he wants if he has enough time and you are not watching. So you need a backup. I'd say you need a backup for the backup. Keep one of the backups off-site in some other building.

----------

Perhaps yuo can point me to the right place, don't have time to go back to University. All I need is to learn some programing.

"programming?" I did this for a living, full time for years. You can teach yourself but taking a class is actually faster. There are any number of books. I'd get one that promises to teach "Java". Java is representative of an entire family for programming languages and is well supported and crosses platforms. If you work at it most nights, expect the process to take about a year.

That said, I do not see the connection between between a dumb kid messing with your son's computer and learning to write software. All you need to do is (1) make an admin account that you NEVER log into. (2) a normal non-admin account for each user and (3) a Guest account that people can use when they borrow the computer.

Judaswillcome4U

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 30, 2012
singapore
what to do next

The computer wasn't hacked. Physical access was granted, so your son has no one to blame but himself for giving someone else access to his computer.

OS X: How to change user account name or home directory name

Yes, that is what I asked him, he said he is my friend (with friends like this who needs enemies)?. however, i took a look at the console and found out exactly what you posted is what he did.
My question to you is how to change the computer name and what can I do to check if he installed any malware?

Aug 28 11:38:06 Johnny-Deep-Macbook-2 mDNSResponder [28]: User updated Computer Name from "Johnny Deep's MacBook" to "Hacked Retard's Macbook"

Judaswillcome4U

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 30, 2012
singapore
Thanks for our help

#1 rule: You almost guessed it. "NEVER use an Admin account for normal work. YOUR account and your son's account need to be non-admin. Then if some one gets into a normal account all they can do is thrash that account and remove all the data. Never do normal work while logged into an admin account.

There is no rule #2.

Well, maybe a second rule. Make backups. Time machine works fine for this. Even in your case. Just restore from the last known "good" time and you are back.

But remember that even if you follow the one rule anyone who has physical access to the computer can do what he wants if he has enough time and you are not watching. So you need a backup. I'd say you need a backup for the backup. Keep one of the backups off-site in some other building.

----------

"programming?" I did this for a living, full time for years. You can teach yourself but taking a class is actually faster. There are any number of books. I'd get one that promises to teach "Java". Java is representative of an entire family for programming languages and is well supported and crosses platforms. If you work at it most nights, expect the process to take about a year.

That said, I do not see the connection between between a dumb kid messing with your son's computer and learning to write software. All you need to do is (1) make an admin account that you NEVER log into. (2) a normal non-admin account for each user and (3) a Guest account that people can use when they borrow the computer.

Thanks for taking the time to help, yes I have time machine and will restore from that. I will also follow the steps you suggested to avoid further annoyance.

Judaswillcome4U

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 30, 2012
singapore
thanks to all of you!

Is great to see, some of you are willing to help rather thank insulting me. I am very busy person. Yes I do not know much about what is going on in the background of the computer. I actually had to google "trolling" to understand the insult. So I hope that made your day.
I guess after learning 3 languages and taking mandarin at the moment none of it prepares me for cynicism and arrogance that some of you display online, why with all your knowledge and time you are sure to be very wealthy, I imagine. Or, at the very least have been on TED sharing your thoughts, art, books or Scientific discovers. Yes?
wait....none of that.

For those of you that are here to help, thank you from the bottom of my heart I will follow your suggestions. Why learning programing? Because knowledge is freedom.
Cheers!

ohbrilliance

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
I would like to teach the little crip a lesson
That sounds like a pretty unethical thing for the creep to do. Arrange a meeting with the school principal and bring in the kid's parents. A report with SPF could be in order if anything illegal's been done. How old are the kids involved?

----------

Then if some one gets into a normal account all they can do is thrash that account and remove all the data.

Myth #1: User data is less valuable then system data.

Judaswillcome4U

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 30, 2012
singapore
13 years old

How old are the kids involved?[COLOR="#808080

13 years old, my fear is that the kid in question will be expelled and then what? One more angry teenager out there. I have taken a couple of screen shots to show the adviser, but have no way of knowing if he did something wrong. All I know is that he has done it before to a school computer to download games.

I have gone line by line on a system log trying to see what has changed comparing with the earlier logs. Very time consuming.

----------

[/COLOR]
Myth #1: User data is less valuable then system data.[/QUOTE]

JTyler82

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2011
Is great to see, some of you are willing to help rather thank insulting me. I am very busy person. Yes I do not know much about what is going on in the background of the computer. I actually had to google "trolling" to understand the insult. So I hope that made your day.
I guess after learning 3 languages and taking mandarin at the moment none of it prepares me for cynicism and arrogance that some of you display online, why with all your knowledge and time you are sure to be very wealthy, I imagine. Or, at the very least have been on TED sharing your thoughts, art, books or Scientific discovers. Yes?
wait....none of that.

For those of you that are here to help, thank you from the bottom of my heart I will follow your suggestions. Why learning programing? Because knowledge is freedom.
Cheers!

Lighten up, Sheesh. Or judas will get you.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Not sure if already suggested but parental control might also be helpful. But of course that limit the learning capabilities. Finally lesson learned; reinstall the box and teach your kid to be more careful next time.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
F...Why learning programing? Because knowledge is freedom.
Cheers!

Yes, learn. It's fun. Then find an Open Source software project and contribute. Fix some bugs or whatever. I started learning in the mid 1970's, worked in the field 30 years, then moved on.

But this is unrelated to your problem. Music is fun too, learn that too.

Note that your problem is the same exact thing as if the kid dropped the Mac and broke the hard disk or if there was a house fire or (the most likely thing) a theft. All these cases involve loss of data either by vandalism or whatever and all have the same cure, restore from your Time Machine disk.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.