My sons MacBook won't power on.

Check Marc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
I'm a Windows person so please excuse me if I don't know the jargon. He had to use the drop down menu to power it off and now he can't turn it on. The power supply tested OK. I'm think that it's the power button and the keyboard needs to be replaced. Is there any thing else to look for?
Thanks,

Marc

Check Marc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
It doesn't do anything, no sounds, no clicking chains nothing. That sort of why I'm leaning to it being the power button.

ziggyonice

macrumors 68020
Mar 12, 2006
Rural America
Hmm, there's a lot of different possibilities.

While the power button on the keyboard could be the problem, there could also be something wrong internally. Let's start with the basics (straight from Apple). And if none of these steps work, you might want to contact Apple or visit an Apple Store. Hopefully the computer is still under its warranty.

If your computer won't turn on, try each of these steps:

1. Make sure that the power cord is plugged into a working wall outlet, and that it's properly connected to the power adapter. (To check if the wall socket is working, plug in a lamp or other electrical device.)

2. Make sure that the power adapter is properly connected to the power port on the side or back of the computer.

3. Disconnect all accessories that are plugged into the computer, such as a printer, hub, or other mobile device.

4. Reset the computer's PMU, SMC, or PRAM. Refer to these instructions.

5. Try plugging a different power cord into the computer (if you have a working one available). If the computer starts up, replace the old power cord.

6. If the computer uses a power adapter, try connecting a different power adapter to the computer (if you have a working one available). If the computer starts up, replace the old power adapter. (Computers that use a power adapter include MacBook, MacBook Pro, iBooks, PowerBooks, Power Mac G4 Cube, and Mac mini.)

7. If you tried all of the steps above and the computer still won't turn on, contact Apple technical support (1-800-APL-CARE in the U.S.) or take your computer to the nearest Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider for diagnosis. If you plan to visit an Apple Retail store, make a reservation at the Genius Bar.

arogge

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2002
Tatooine
I have a similar problem, and it has become somewhat reproducible. If I issue the Shut Down command from the Apple menu and then try to do a cold boot, the power button on the box fails to work. If I cut the power, restore and try again, the power button works. The power button also works to Shut Down and cold boot without using the Apple menu in Finder. It looks like a software or firmware problem.

Check Marc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
This is DOA regardless. He's tried the reset. From my experience if there was something else wrong something would happen but nothing is. He's taken it apart and tried to clean the power button but that did nothing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.