My sound is busted...

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ethical, Jan 8, 2009.

1. ethical macrumors 68000

Ok, so i fell victim to a snapped headphone jack in my macbook's sound port. i tried everything to get the blighter out but it wouldnt budge (even a dab of glue on a cocktail stick which wasnt fun to do!)

so now, im thinking of how i can get my sound back.... is there a way to turn off the "auto sound cut out" that comes in when you plug headphone in? because i can live with no headphone port, but im finding it really annoying having no sound at all! Im thinking there must be a way, because i still get the annoying startup tune coming out of the speakers, so it cant be a physical cut out switch.

alternatively, will one of these work:
    Creative XMod

any help much appreciated! Thanks,

Luke

2. Andrew K. macrumors 65816

3. ethical thread starter macrumors 68000

i dont have any magnets strong enough, and its stuck behind the copper clips that spring out (i always thought they were the sound cut out mechanism). and i think its made of brass, so not magnetic.

4. cherry su macrumors 65816

cherry su

Oh snap! you probably want to take it to the apple store and get the logic board replaced if you want a functioning headphone jack. otherwise you could get a Griffin iMic

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/imic

5. goldfronts macrumors member

Are you close to an Apple Store? I'd give them a call and see what they might be able to do - it's not worth the risk of further damaging your Macbook

6. ethical thread starter macrumors 68000

i've read other reviews on here from people in similar positions, and they've said that apple would charge £350 for a new logic board (warrenty expired). thats half the price of a new laptop!

im not planning on trying to get it out anymore... im just wondering if there is a way to turn off the cut out mechanism, so i can at least have sound out of the speakers?

if not, will using that external USB sound device work? it apparently replaces the on board sound.

7. ethical thread starter macrumors 68000

the link i put in my post goes to a product just like that, made by creative. i cant afford to replace the logic board, its half the price of a new laptop.