Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

heaven

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2004
Just now i noticed that the sound on my 17" powerbook is gone. There isnt even a start up tone anymore!! I have tried playing iTunes, checked if its muted in the system preferences, rebooted, tried it with headphones, but with no luck. :(

What could have caused this problem? Could there be some software conflict, or do you think that this is hardware related?

Thank you all for your help in advance and a nice weekend!

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Try opening then closing Garageband to reset core audio. I'm not sure this'll work though, considering usually only some sounds disappear when the Audio MIDI settings are corrupted.

What have you installed recently?

heaven

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2004
mad jew said:
Try opening then closing Garageband to reset core audio. I'm not sure this'll work though, considering usually only some sounds disappear when the Audio MIDI settings are corrupted.

What have you installed recently?

Thank you for your reply!

The problem is, i deleted garageband, because i didnt use it and i dont have the install cd atm.

I have started also a thread about this on apple.com, but i didnt find a solution yet

Here is a list of the apps i installed recently, maybe this could help:

- Mac OS X 10.4.5 Update
- Audacity
- Blender
- Maya
- Some keynote themes

The volume indicator shows up and responses normally when i use the volume buttons

picture29co.png

This is what my sound system preferences look like

picture10hn.png

I tried plugging in the headphones again, but i didnt notice anything changing, where am i supposed to see something?

BTW, just noticed that my mic doesnt record anything, too. Thats getting really strange now..

This what my system profiler shows:
picture35xp.png

That is what Audio MIDI Setup shows:
picture46fr.png

Oh, and why is there a minus infront of the dB numbers in the Audio Output Box. I think my missing sound has something to do with the greyed out master slide at the lowest position. Does anyone know how to fix that, because i think that would solve my problem. Or am i wrong?

I have tried resetting PRAM and repairing permissions.

Thank you for you answers in advance!

heaven

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2004
mad jew said:
Okay then, try resetting your PMU. :)

The negative symbol in front of dB is normal. :cool:

Oh, and it's not showing any typical signs of the Audio MIDI error. :eek:

I did the PMU reset, but it didnt help :(
and i have also tried the garageband suggestion, but that didnt help, too *sad*

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
You've reset everything I can think of. The fact the start up tone doesn't sound implies it's not an account error and probably not even a software issue. Sorry, but a trip to Apple may be in order. Software-wise, everything looks normal from here. :eek:

Also, looking through your Apple Support Forums thread (and others that are similar), it might hopefully be a firmware issue that'll be resolved in an update. All the same, I'd get it checked out. You don't want to be stuck with a failed logic board. Oh, and remember to back everything up, just in case. :cool:

Sorry I can't be more helpful. :(

heaven

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2004
mad jew said:
You've reset everything I can think of. The fact the start up tone doesn't sound implies it's not an account error and probably not even a software issue. Sorry, but a trip to Apple may be in order. Software-wise, everything looks normal from here. :eek:

Also, looking through your Apple Support Forums thread (and others that are similar), it might hopefully be a firmware issue that'll be resolved in an update. All the same, I'd get it checked out. You don't want to be stuck with a failed logic board. Oh, and remember to back everything up, just in case. :cool:

Sorry I can't be more helpful. :(

Thank you very much for you help! At least we have tried to do something :) I guess that i will have to go to the apple store on monday then. If someone still has a possible solution, please post it.

Have a nice weekend everyone :D

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Yeah, you've tried all the usual attempts at a fix and I think they'll be quite impressed with your knowledge of how to overcome this problem so hopefully they'll get it fixed pronto.

On the other hand hopefully we'll come up with a solution over the weekend. :)

heaven

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2004
mad jew said:
Yeah, you've tried all the usual attempts at a fix and I think they'll be quite impressed with your knowledge of how to overcome this problem so hopefully they'll get it fixed pronto.

On the other hand hopefully we'll come up with a solution over the weekend. :)

Well, to be honest thats not my first visit there in the last couple of weeks :p Suddenly my Powerbook started to have one fault after another (Now its about 1.5 years old) It all started 2 weeks ago. First i needed to get my top case replaced, because it started to oxidate and got black spots *ewwww*, then i had to return there, because my system profiler showed only 512 MB instead of 1GB. But thank god it was only loose in the slot, so they fixed it very fast. THEN my power button almost dissapeared in the new topcase!!!! So wednesday i went there again and they ordered a new topcase AND a new display because a black spot appeared on it! Now the sound is gone!
So the question is: "Whats next?" lol
Or is my PB just telling me like this: "Ey, maybe its time for a MacBook Pro" :D

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
heaven said:
Or is my PB just telling me like this: "Ey, maybe its time for a MacBook Pro" :D

I like your thinking. :D

Man, you've had very bad luck. Hopefully if it comes to a visit, they'll get everything sorted quickly. :)

heaven

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2004
I have also started a thread on the macfixit forums and one guy there suggested to reboot in safe mode and check the audio MIDI setup again, set there everything to default. But the problem is, when i safe booted, everything in my audio MIDI setup was greyed out, there were no outputs to select, i didnt get any response while pressing on the volume keys. Then i tried to open Garageband and this time there was an error message with something like "core audio drivers missing". Any ideas?
Should i try to archive and install again or is there another way to somehow restore this drivers if they are missing...

heaven

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2004
I got it fixed today at my Apple store! And i am happy to report that it wasnt a software issue after all! The sound cable inside just got loose :rolleyes:

Thank you all one more time for helping me!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.