My sound system died. Advice on choosing a new one?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Zedsdead185, Nov 14, 2009.

1. Zedsdead185 macrumors 6502

Hi guys,
    my surround sound system just died. Not a surprise really. I've had it for years. The sucky thing about it is that I used it for everything. My tv sound, ps3 and music from my MacBook pro.
    So obviously I'm gonna need a new system and would very much like some guidance from you kind fellows.
    My budget is around the £200 mark, but am willing to go a bit higher if necessary. I would also likeit to include prefferably a hdmi input for my ps3 but would settle with optical TOSLINK if the price won't allow it. Plus I would also like either another toslink or just a basic red and White aux for my MacBook pros iTunes library. The actual tv sound isn't a problem as I don't really watch Much tv anyway.
    I would also like to point out that I'd rather settle for sound quality over amount of speakers. So a good 2.1 would be preferrable compared to an average 5.1. And I'd rather have no built in DVD player to cut on the costs as I could easily use my ps3 for that.
    Any suggestions guys? And thx for any input. :)

2. klrobinson999 macrumors 6502

3. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Second that. But do they also do amps with speaker sets in this price range?

OP, you may want to consider looking in the second hand market too. Audio equipment resale values plop through the floor once something's a year or two old. I've got a Sony amp+speaker set that cost me about £300 seven years ago. I used it as my TV and DVD surround sound for six years before finally retiring it for an Onkyo amp and some Mordaunt Shorts. It's now being used every day as my Mac Pro's sound output. It'd be worth about £50 tops right now but probably performs as well as most £200 new setups.

The speaker world isn't like the CPU world, six month old stuff isn't outdated. The only thing you get with newer stuff usually are the newer inputs such as HDMI and decoders for such. Hench why people often stick with speakers until they blow but replace their av receivers more frequently.

4. Zedsdead185 thread starter macrumors 6502

I must say, i've never really heard of Onkyo before, due to me never really looking into this kind of market, but obviously they must be a reputable brand. This is why I asked macrumors :D.
    But anyway, anyone have any experience with this particular set?

http://www.play.com/Electronics/Ele...tsid:11518|cc:|prd:6185439|cat:Cinema+Systems

And i took your advice spanky deluxe and looked up onkyo on ebay, found this exact set for £160 with £25 P&P, tho there still a few days left, i may just get it brand new if you guys think its worth it. it certainly looks it.

Edit: http://www.exceptional-av.co.uk/index.php?search_terms=22hd&gclid=CPLenvDli54CFYwA4wod6W2Fow
    After looking further into it, it looks as tho i would be able to expand it to full surround as well when I can afford it. Its certainly tempting. Any opinions on the matter?