My spanking new Mac Pro 2.26 Octo

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by scouser75, Sep 30, 2009.

1. scouser75 macrumors 6502a

Hey guys, having finally got my Mac Pro on Sunday I have just got round to installing my 2nd internal HD and am well on the way to getting all the software and few other bits sorted.

Before I give you a run down on the specs can I please thank everyone on here who helped, advised, guided and put up with my incessant barrage of stupid questions :) Because of all you guys I now know a little bit more about IT stuff. AND AND AND I actually managed to install the HD myself. Something which I wouldn't even have thought about doing a couple of weeks ago :D So seriously, a massive massive MASSIVE thanks to everyone :)

Right, now to my spec.

Mac Pro 2.26 Octo
    640 GB Boot drive
    1TB Media drive
    6GB ram
    X2 GT120 cards (but thinking about giving these back as they won't be compatible with FCP7 and the below :rolleyes: )
    X2 24" Cinema Displays
    Final Cut Studio 3

Somehow I've managed to connect both monitors to the tower. What were Apple thinking with these absurdly short cables!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

When I get the chance I'll take some pics of the set-up and post them up on here.

I can't wait to get editing again.

Thanks again guys

2. artivideo.nl macrumors 6502

artivideo.nl

Hi congratulations with your new Mac Pro. I am also going to buy a Mac pro in the near future mainly for editing AVC-I-100 with FCP7.

So this trigged me in your message to react : X2 GT120 cards (but thinking about giving these back as they won't be compatible with FCP7 and the below )

First of all I know GT120 cards but what are X2 GT120 cards?? More important why are they not compatible with FCP7 ???????????

I want probably two 24" ACD so can I use one 4870 to drive both? or do I can I use one 4870 and one GT120 or just two GT120's. What is the best option if I also will be using motion where I need more graphics power.

Why did you go for the octa/2.26 and not for the quod with higher frequency since i read in this forum that it will be faster than the octa/2.26 because FCP& does not make use of multi core processing.

so if you want to give back the GT120 cards what are you using to drive the screens and use FCS

3. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

Monoprice has extension cables, cheap too link

You can do any of the three. However the 4870 and GT120 only have one Mini Display Port and the 24" ACD only uses this connection. So you can do one 4870 and a GT120, or 2 GT120's or 2 4870's.

You can use one 4870 but will have to buy a 200 dollar adaptor to convert the DVI to MDP. Might as well buy a GT120 for that money.

4. dsiew81 macrumors member

Hahahahaha. Are you kidding?

5. X-JRO macrumors member

GT120 x2. There are two of them.

6. scouser75 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hey guys, thanks for the replies.

Arti, reason for the 2.26 Octo was for future proofing. I'm assuming / hoping that FCP and others will soon start utilising all 8 cores :)

Kellen, I specifically need to run both ACD's for FCP7. What would be my best or only option? As I am now a little more confident navigating around the inurds of the tower I can remove 1 or both the graphics cards and return them to apple for a replacement.

7. scouser75 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hey Guys,

I've been away from the scene since getting my spanking new Mac. Not because I was ignoring you but due to feeling a little unwell. But feeling a bit better now, so as promised here are some pics :D

Some of you may have noticed that I don't actually have 2 ACD's. The reason for this was simply down to the fact that after a lot of research, questions and hassle, it transpired that FCP7 doesn't utilise 2 ACD's WITHOUT having to spend a lot more money.

So I decided to return the extra screen and graphic card and save some money until something more sensible comes out.

Now I'm just trying to gather as much work as possible to pay off this beast :D

Once again, thanks to all the guys and gals who helped me out in deciding what to get :thumb:

Attached Files: