My speakers make a fuzzy noise during phone calls

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by docgerrard, Oct 15, 2011.

1. docgerrard macrumors 6502

For the 4S. not the speakerphone speakers but the ones you hold up to your head.

pretty sure this is not supposed to happen. I bought it from Sprint but can i take it to the apple store for them to fix?

2. bespoken4 macrumors newbie

Same here

Im on Verizon and when I hold the phone to my head I hear static and the person on the other end can hear it too :(

3. CheesePuff macrumors 6502

Are you near some other audio source? Usually interference.

4. bespoken4 macrumors newbie

Nope not at all. This happens inside as well as outside Im experiencing the problem.

5. docgerrard thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't know if the other person can hear it but I definitely can. Don't think there is any sort of interference either.

6. AC Rempt macrumors 6502

AC Rempt

I have the same issue with mine, 16Gb AT&T. I made an appointment to see a genius today and see what's up. It almost sounds like a blown speaker as much as it does static. I'll let y'all know what happens.

7. AC Rempt macrumors 6502

AC Rempt

Apple replaced the phone with no problem at all. Now I'm waiting for AT&T again. Sigh . . .

8. AC Rempt macrumors 6502

AC Rempt

9. TomMaxwell macrumors newbie

I'm experiencing the same thing as AC Rempt. I have a 16 GB white model on Sprint.

10. AC Rempt macrumors 6502

AC Rempt

Apple support forums have some other people in the same boat.

Apple Support Forum

I did a factory restore to see if maybe an app was behind it, but that didn't help. I'd hate to return it again, especially after being with out a phone all day when either Apple or AT&T messed up the activation, but this is really annoying.

11. HiDEF macrumors 68000

HiDEF

I have the same issue and when I spoke to my local AT&T Corporate store, they told me to bring it in that they would exchange it with no problem.

Now, I do love the iPhone 4S but, I think I'm gonna mess around with the Galaxy S II just to get a feel for it. Maybe I'll make the switch, maybe I won't, we will see.:cool:

12. mizzrizz macrumors newbie

Apple replaced 1st phone, 2nd phone same problem

I had this same issue with the 4S i received 11/7. Went to the Genius Bar tonight, they replaced it. Said speaker malfunction. Okay great. Now, after just setting up the replacement.. IT HAS THE SAME ISSUE.

I think Apple has a problem here. :mad:

13. glhughes macrumors regular

I have had 3 phones (1 retail, 2 replacements) and all three have had this problem to some extent. Very annoying when it's loud.

14. Perza macrumors newbie

I think every 4S has that problem...As mentioned, one simple test to hear it is disabling WiFi so that you're using 3G connection, open Maps and scroll around so uncovered parts load and in the meantime place your phone near the ear (back or front, doesn't matter, the noise comes from inside the phone). The real problem is during calls when you can hear static during conversation.

If you're having static problems I feel bad for you son...

15. fat jez macrumors 68000

fat jez

It's interference from the radio transmission. You often get the same thing (but louder) if you leave a GSM phone near a speaker. Periodically when it location updates, it will make the speaker buzz.

I've experienced it loads of times in the past with other phones (usually Nokias), but this is the first time I remember experiencing it with an iPhone.

16. ApplesAndOrangs macrumors regular

17. fat jez macrumors 68000

fat jez

Dunno, my expertise in mobile telecoms is on the core network, not on the handset.

It could need better electrical insulation of the RF section from the audio section or it could need the rf section to be routed away from the audio section. But these would be design changes. Could it be fixed in software? I don't think so, but I'm not an expert.

18. rsxmachine, Nov 10, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2011

rsxmachine macrumors 6502a

THIS IS THE STATIC-GATE everyone is talking about over 3g connection. If you record audio in a video or voice note, it will record the crackling/buzzing from 3g. You can show this video to apple store since it is very very hard to reproduce this at the store due to the loud environment. Plus, there may be an environmental reason for the buzzing.

https://discussions.apple.com/message/16681345#16681345

Things test so you know its the same issue.

1. if you are on edge, you won't hear this noise, you may hear the typical GSM buzz though
    2. if you are on wifi, and go to google maps, you won't hear it, but if you get a phone call or switch to 3g while on maps you will hear it. try running speedtest with 3g on.
    3. turn on airplane mode and you won't hear it
    4. listen to all locations on the phone, even at the bottom of the phone at the back and you will still hear the buzz when 3g is loading something.

I have already replaced my first 4S with no change to the 3g buzzing. I don't know what to do at this point. Apple needs to come up with a software fix so that we can't hear this anymore. Maybe by lowering the db from the speakers.

I think the real reason everyone isn't complaining is because it can be intermittent and dependant on where you are. Also you can't hear it with any background noise since it just blends in.

19. fuzion11 macrumors 65816

fuzion11

"Fuzzy Wuzzy was a women"?? ---- Gene Wilder (See no evil, hear no evil)