Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SAG3194

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 4, 2009
Hi guys I submitted an application called Spoof Call that basically does what the title states. I have been in review for 7 months. I submitted 5 version and all of which got rejected today. I researched it and Caller ID Spoofing is not illegal and no where in the license agreement does it say that I can't spoof call.

Dear SAG3194,

Thank you for submitting Spoof Unlimited to the App Store. We've reviewed Spoof Unlimited and determined that we cannot post this version of your iPhone application to the App Store at this time because it allows users to anonymously make calls and/or wrongly identifies the caller ID of the phone (known as Caller ID spoofing). We have chosen to not publish this type of application to the App Store.

If you believe you can make the necessary modifications to bring your application in compliance with iPhone Software License Agreement, we encourage you to do so and resubmit it for review.

Regards,

iPhone Developer Program

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
We have chosen to not publish this type of application to the App Store.

And thats all that matters here.

Their store, their rules. Apple doesnt want any more fake outrages at stupid apps.

GTDaveMac

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2008
I was just about to say the same thing as the last poster... I see why, and to be honest, I am glad Apple is not allowing this... Caller ID spoofing is often employed to scam or manipulate people, and there is a "Truth in Caller ID Act." in the Senate right now.

djcraze

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2007
This seems like something that should be posted to the Cydia Store to be honest..

inbrissy

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2007
Brisbane
Perhaps a silly comment, but why would you want to spoof your caller ID?

If you have the intention to be someone you're not then by definition you're scamming the person you're calling?

If its such a big deal to now show your Caller ID, then simply turn it off.

I also am glad that these types of Apps don't make it into the App Store.

MacToddB

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2007
Rochester, NY
Maybe you should focus on HIDING rather than spoofing.

HideMyID is already a published app, and from the reviews (and screenshots) it looks like you could easily improve upon it. The developer has a habit of creating a fake ID here and posting allegedly anonymous reviews of his apps.

Fe1

macrumors regular
May 9, 2009
Thank you, Apple...

(No offence, but come on. This is a stalker's dream come true)

alchemistmuffin

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2007
Hi guys I submitted an application called Spoof Call that basically does what the title states. I have been in review for 7 months. I submitted 5 version and all of which got rejected today. I researched it and Caller ID Spoofing is not illegal and no where in the license agreement does it say that I can't spoof call.

Dear SAG3194,

Thank you for submitting Spoof Unlimited to the App Store. We've reviewed Spoof Unlimited and determined that we cannot post this version of your iPhone application to the App Store at this time because it allows users to anonymously make calls and/or wrongly identifies the caller ID of the phone (known as Caller ID spoofing). We have chosen to not publish this type of application to the App Store.

If you believe you can make the necessary modifications to bring your application in compliance with iPhone Software License Agreement, we encourage you to do so and resubmit it for review.

Regards,

iPhone Developer Program
Don't blame Apple on this.

It's at&t's fault. They put this restriction on the iPhone: NO CALL SPOOFING.

My suggestion: Complain to at&t, and post the app to Cydia.

Again, it's at&t, since Apple has to put at&t policy on the app store. It's not illegal, you are right on that, but at&t makes the final call on certain cellular restrictions on the app.

SAG3194

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 4, 2009
Don't blame Apple on this.

It's at&t's fault. They put this restriction on the iPhone: NO CALL SPOOFING.

My suggestion: Complain to at&t, and post the app to Cydia.

Again, it's at&t, since Apple has to put at&t policy on the app store. It's not illegal, you are right on that, but at&t makes the final call on certain cellular restrictions on the app.

Thanks. I updated the app and resubmitted. Hopefully they will add the updated version.

MacToddB

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2007
Rochester, NY
What did you change that makes you think they'll reconsider?
What did you change?

He presumably made the change I suggested. Apple seems to allow HIDING but not SPOOFING. See below.

Maybe you should focus on HIDING rather than spoofing.

HideMyID is already a published app, and from the reviews (and screenshots) it looks like you could easily improve upon it. The developer has a habit of creating a fake ID here and posting allegedly anonymous reviews of his apps.

aandf1978

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2008
I for one hope your App never gets approved and I could only hope and dream that your DEV Account would be cancelled. You are the type of developer that has tarnished the idea of the app store and has made it a joke. There was a alot of buzz when the announcement of the App Store came about, think of all the useful apps that could be created to allow this phone to be the most power, useful and versitile phone on the market, but instead thanks to Apple's lowered standards and childish and idiotic developers like yourself, we have an App Store that is flooded with Apps like ifart and ivomit and ispoof and other iCRAP!!!! GROW UP!!!! This is a $600 iPod/Phone that is the most elite phone in the world, not a $600 fart machine or call spoofer!!! Remember when you go to buy the iPhone you are buying it at the (in the US) AT&T Store or the Apple Store, NOT SPENCERS GIFTS!!!!!!!

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
This would actually be an entertaining app, but I see why it was rejected. Only spoof apps that are devoid of any and all sense of utility are allowed. You should have at least learned that over the last 7 months.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
I for one hope your App never gets approved and I could only hope and dream that your DEV Account would be cancelled. You are the type of developer that has tarnished the idea of the app store and has made it a joke. There was a alot of buzz when the announcement of the App Store came about, think of all the useful apps that could be created to allow this phone to be the most power, useful and versitile phone on the market, but instead thanks to Apple's lowered standards and childish and idiotic developers like yourself, we have an App Store that is flooded with Apps like ifart and ivomit and ispoof and other iCRAP!!!! GROW UP!!!! This is a $600 iPod/Phone that is the most elite phone in the world, not a $600 fart machine or call spoofer!!! Remember when you go to buy the iPhone you are buying it at the (in the US) AT&T Store or the Apple Store, NOT SPENCERS GIFTS!!!!!!!

I have no connection to this developer, but don't you think you're being a bit harsh? I do not own one single "spoof app" (because I too think they are garbage). But, I think you're giving Apple too much credit here. Each app apparently goes through a rigorous approval process, so to leave Apple out of your iCrap equation would be erroneous. In fact, Apple profits from these apps as well. So, remove Apple from your "elite" pedestool and view them for what they are - just another corporation trying to cash in on the ignorance of the human race. If you think these developers are dragging the iPhone through the mud, so is Apple.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO

What tarnishes the App Store is Apple's censorship and their belief that I can't use my phone, that I paid for, as a $600 fart machine or call spoofer if I want to.

MacToddB

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2007
Rochester, NY
What tarnishes the App Store is Apple's censorship and their belief that I can't use my phone, that I paid for, as a $600 fart machine or call spoofer if I want to.

$600 fart machine yes, but spoofing imposes on the receiver of the call and if it's not illegal, it's unethical.

Besides, for $600.99, you can have hundreds of sounds, not just farts! (end commercial!!!)

Maconer

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2009
I hate apples censorship. If the app is not illegal let the people have it if they want it.

jalpert

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2008
Why do you think the appstore is flooded with ifart and ivomit and ispoof and other "iCRAP?" Let me answer that for you, BECAUSE PEOPLE ARE BUYING IT. If nobody bought it, it wouldn't make any money, and people would stop making it.

Grow up? Isn't it a free country for people to act how they want to act as long as they aren't breaking any laws?

I think I get it, you don't like it so nobody should be able to have it, is that right? You think it's dumb therefore it should be censored? By people purchasing these apps, the market has spoken. I hate wal-mart, I don't think they should exist. If I could vote on the subject I would vote that they don't exist. However I do not believe that because I don't like them they should be banned. I am not going to start a movement to ban them either.

You need to grow up. Not everyone likes what you like and just because you don't like it doesn't mean it shouldn't exist. Be careful about the decisions you ask be made for you, you might find that one day you wish you had some more choices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.