My Sports Teams...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by wvuwhat, Dec 29, 2010.

1. wvuwhat macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

WVU Basketball, WVU Football, Caps, Redskins, Nationals, and Wizards. In that order.

WVU Basketball = great coach, terrible recruiting and talent
    WVU Football = won't have a great head coach until after next season, was hoping Bill Stewart would step down after our embarrassing loss Tuesday night, but that doesn't seem to be the case.
    Caps = Hit or Miss, I still think we can make a run, but I'd give it 20/80 at the moment. But, this team is still the best hope.
    Redskins = We're a joke. We have maybe 3 players that would start on any other team, as well as a terrible coaching staff.
    Nationals = They're trying to make moves, but I don't see anything happening for 5-7 years.
    Wizards = Jesus, don't get me started, besides Wall, there's nothing...Nothing at all.

I just hope that someone out there can relate with me, maybe someone from Cleveland went to school at Michigan or something like that?

With all this, I gave myself an ultimatum earlier this week, if we lost our bowl game (which WVU did), lost our first Big East basketball game, against St. Johns (which WVU did), and the Caps lose the Winter Classic (had tickets, sold them to make a BIG profit), I will not be watching sports until at least opening day for the Nationals (which I have tickets for, so that's the only bright spot), I will not be watching sports for the entire next year...

I'm sorry for the rant, I just was in the middle of a conversation with a good friend I went to WVU with and grew up in D.C. with (we're both 24) and we both couldn't remember the last time any of our teams were good.

For the record, my abstinence from sports may be a good thing, because I'd probably come back as an Ohio State, Alabama, The patriots, Red Sox, Boston/Heat/Lakers, Blackhawks, etc. fan and all my weekends and most weekdays will be much more happier following those teams. Not to mention, I'd save about 150 a week from going out to local bars to watch my horrible teams.

I even turned down Redskins season tickets, got the letter this past week, after being on the "waiting list" for almost 10 years.

So, if anyone is a fan of winning teams, what does it feel like?

2. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Following 'a winning team'? Pah.

Supporting a team isn't about winning things, it's all about misery, despair and frustration. I expect to see you in an appropriately coloured hat/scarf/shirt looking miserable forthwith. Embrace it.

'Winning team'. Honestly... :rolleyes:

3. hotsauce macrumors 6502a

I'm from Seattle. Be proud that you have four pro teams to watch. We had three, now down to two that stink.

4. The.316 macrumors 65816

The.316

I know the feeling. I have been a Florida Panther fan since their birth in 93. We havent made the playoffs since 2000, and we have had some really bad teams since then, so I know the feeling.

I am a Heat, Panther, Marlin, Dolphins, and Hurricanes fan; pro-South Florida. I still have a soft spot in my heart for the New York Giants and Mets because I was born and raised in Brooklyn for eight years.

5. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Your post has the stench of truth about it, The.316. But on the odd occasion when a bit of success comes the way of your team, it's all the sweeter isn't it?

To truly appreciate the highs, you have to experience the lows too.

6. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

You forgot the dodgy pies… :p

However, I'm not complaining (too much).
    [​IMG]

Although with these perpetual bridesmaids it is all about despair and frustration. :eek:
    [​IMG]

7. The.316 macrumors 65816

The.316

I experienced the lows, believe me. I had season tickets for the Panthers from 2000-2008. The only playoffs I experienced with them was in 96 and in 2000, and since then, we have had some pretty terrible seasons, multiple coaching/GM changes, as well as mismanagement of some of our players. Ive been through enough heartache with them to last a lifetime.

I also was Heat fan since 89. I was there for the great years that included heart breaking loses to the Knicks (was at the game when Houston hit that floater to win the game), and I still rooted for them when they won only 15 games. I think I, along with all the real Heat fans, deserve what we are going through now and in the future.

8. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Even so, are you not breathing just a little easier, of late? ;)

9. nathanw macrumors member

I feel your pain with the Skins. I was born in '91 and have been a skins fan all my life. Since to Super bowl win in '91 (which obviously I don't remember too vividly, haha), there really hasn't been to much success for the years that I've been a fan. The only playoff game I distinctly remember is that killer of a loss to Tampa in '99 I think it was? I was like 8 years old, but I remember it.
    I sure hope they can pull it together soon (although nothing looks together right now). It'd be nice to see the dominant redskins team that my dad watched growing up.

10. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

I'm a Skins fan, as well as a Caps/Nationals/Wizards.
    :eek:

11. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I can't be bothered with anymore than the Blackhawks and The White Sox. That's enough, I don't need any more.

12. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

my year has been up and down

wisconsin badgers football, basketball and hockey
    MLB baseball: Brewers and Yankees
    NFL Football: Packers

that's about all I really follow. NBA basketball is like watching masturbation to me IMO and NHL hockey is zzzzzzzzzzz.....

sorry dozed off there for a min. anyway....

Packers have been up and down based on injuries and the brewers stunk last year, but made some great additions for next year. Yankees were disappointing.

13. toxictrix macrumors 6502a

I have it terrrrrible.Texans, Rockets, Baylor Bears.

Texans lose in a new and heartbreaking way every week.

14. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Oh, really? :eek:
    What have I been missing all these years… I'll have to catch a game on the telly.
    Although going by your description I suppose it depends on who is playing.
    ;)

15. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Indeed. I've been a Houston Oilers fan since the early 80's. Never once did we reach the Superbowl, even though we where, IMO, the 2nd best team in the NFL at the time. We always had to go through Pittsburgh, IMO, THE best team in the NFL at the time. When the Oilers left town I cursed Bud Adams and hated that Tennessee team ever since.:mad::mad::mad:

I've been a Texans fan from the get go. It's been one heart break after another. There's always next year.:rolleyes:

I've been a Rockets fan for a while, when they kept getting knock out by the Sonics, Lakers and Jazz. Then in the mid ninties, they won back to back Championship on the strength of the Nigerian Nightmare, Hakeem "the Dream" Olajuwan. I stopped watching after he got traded.

16. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

yeah I mean it's good for a cheap thrill to get the blood going :cool: but after a few minutes it's kinda like "is anyone gonna join in?" :p

17. The.316 macrumors 65816

The.316

You obviously never been to an NHL playoff game. Its the most exciting sport to witness live. Its also really starting to pick up in the States, evident by the massive ratings they received last season.

18. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

I've got a kind of strange list of teams:

NY Rangers NHL
    Union College ECACHL
    Boston Red Sox MLB
    Indianapolis Colts NFL

My family would disown me if I were anything but a Colts fan, I hate the Yankees but I grew to love hockey by watching the Rangers. I'm partial to West Ham and Stade Rennais (French lg 1) in football, though coverage is poor in the US unless you're a very dedicated fan.

Hockey is amazing in person. I love going to rangers games at madison square garden. Sure it can be a bit slow if it's a midseason 1-0 game, but there's nothing quite like a playoff or playoff clinching game against a rival team, 3-3, lots of shots. The energy of the crowd, the excitement and noise when someone scores, the tension of a tie. Overtime playoff hockey is the ultimate experience as a sports fan, IMO.

19. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

How anyone could call hockey boring is beyond me. :eek: It's the most exciting sport out there.

20. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

MLB: Nationals and Yankees.

Teams don't have to always win to keep my loyalty. They just have to show that you want to improve the team to get back to their winning ways. The Yankees always showed that and the Nationals are showing that with their interest in getting Lee, Pavano, and signed Werth. I switched allegiances from the Orioles to the Yankees because the owner of the Orioles is an idiot. He doesn't try to improve the team and any good player that the team has, he trades away. Seven years after switching, nothing has changed. I can't support a team when all they are trying to do is pocket the money they make and not reinvest it into the team( Marlins, Pirates, Orioles).

21. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Football (Association): Wigan Athletic
    Football (American, Pro): Miami Dolphins
    Football (American, College): Nebraska
    Baseball: Boston Red Sox
    College Hockey: UNO Mavericks
    Rugby League: St Helens
    NHL Hockey: Washington Capitals

22. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

My family has season tickets and at times i've actually fallen asleep.... :p Esp during a ranger power play :eek:

23. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

"My Sports Teams..."

Are we supposed to finish the sentence?

If so, my sports teams are the best :p

New England Patriots are 13-2 which is the best record in the league, and just clinched home field advantage for the entire playoffs. Plus they have Tom Brady, who is the man. He hasn't thrown an interception since before Halloween.

The Boston Bruins are 1st in the Northeast division, and 3rd overall in the Eastern Conference. They've been a game away from the Eastern Conference Finals two years in a row. I cannot wait until they win the Stanley Cup again. It's been 38 years, and Boston will completely explode. It will be bigger than the Pats, bigger than the Celts. The only thing it won't be bigger than was the 2004 Red Sox. But it could be close. Boston has always been a hockey town first.

The Boston Celtics are 24-6, best in the East and 2nd to only the Spurs in the league. They made it to game 7 of the finals last year, and as long as KG's knee injury isn't serious, they should make another serious run this year. This team is way better than last years.

And the team that everyone forgot about for a while, the Boston Red Sox, just made a huge splash in the offseason by trading for Adrian Gonzalez and Carl Crawford. They went from possibly a 3rd place team to probably the favorite out of the AL East and maybe the AL favorite to make the World Series.

I love being a Boston fan. All four of our teams have a legitimate shot at a championship. I'm obviously not saying they are all gonna win, but I do like our odds for at least one... :D

I agree 100%. My friend had a great analogy. Watching **** like baseball is like watching grass grow, while watching a hockey game live is like going to a rock show. You go absolutely nuts the whole time. I've been to the Bruins in the playoffs, and its really hard to top that. (Pats/Jets on MNF a few weeks ago was close :p) Hockey is the best though. LETS GO BRUINS

24. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Hockey is not boring by any stretch! Love hockey!

My Teams:
    Baseball: Yankees
    Football: Cowboys
    Basketball: I like Lebron but I don't like the Heat
    Hockey: Ducks
    NCAAF: Alabama and Michigan

Yup that about sums it up for me.

25. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Hang on though Lee...

...I think we might have found you a new sport to follow. ;)